PDA

View Full Version : I want it out lee FCD C ring

lastborn
02-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Ok, I have used the search feature and can' find the answer. Please help.
I want the CARBIDE ring out of my LEE 357 mag FCD die. How do you do it?
Thanks

1hole
02-03-2011, 03:46 PM
"How do you do it?"

Well, I DON'T do it. Without that post-crimping ring it's no better than any other crimper.

Doby45
02-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Remove the "guts and then find a socket that will fit down in the hole where the "guts" were and put an extension on that socket and knock the ring out. If you don't want to have to BUY a taper crimp die this will turn a FCD into a FINE taper crimp die. This was the case with my 45ACP FCD.

Recluse
02-03-2011, 05:15 PM
"How do you do it?"

Well, I DON'T do it. Without that post-crimping ring it's no better than any other crimper.

Ditto.

For the applications that I use an FCD, that's what I want. Rest of the time, I can set the crimp with my seating die.

It wasn't until around ten years ago that I started reading that seating and crimping should be done in two separate stages. Wish someone had told me and my daddy that forty years ago when he was teaching me.

And for the record, I like the FCD for several calibers that I reload for, and I've found I get very good accuracy using it on my jacketed projectiles in all of my .30 caliber rifles. In fact, I've done in-depth testing and I get better grouping using it than without. Again, that's with jacketed. With cast, it's a coin toss, so I go ahead and use it. It's especially good with my 30-30.

:coffee:

dragonrider
02-03-2011, 05:48 PM
The FCD's are just fine for a boolit that is .358", if you use a boolit that is .360" it will come out of your FCD at . 358". I cured mine by grinding the carbide ring .002", now it does what it is supposed to.

Shakey Jakey
02-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Just to make sure everyone is on the same page...straight wall FCD's are a different breed than bottleneck FCD's. Straight walls are the ones that guys complain about, especially when the carbide ring is smaller than it is supposed to be. Bottleneck FCD's are relatively benign.

ANeat
02-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Like Doby said, pull the top, insert the proper punch, or something that will catch the "ring" and drive it out.

The die mounted in a single stage press is a handy way to do the operation.

I had a 40S&W FCD die that I had to do that to.

Spector
02-03-2011, 11:28 PM
dragonrider,

What did you use to grind the carbide ring in your FCD? I think I would like to first try to adjust the ring to a diameter that post sizes my cases just enough. It that doesn't work well then I'll drive it out of the die.

Mike

noylj
02-04-2011, 02:28 AM
Gee, I found out about separating seating from crimping back about 1975...
That is one of many reasons why I don't understand the Lee Pro 1000--three stations?

RobS
02-04-2011, 02:46 AM
There is also an adhesive of some sort and heating the end with a torch a bit will loosen things and then using a socket and punch will work. I also used a rimmed brass case i.e. 45 colt case in my case which just fit in the die and then used a punch and hammer.

Steelbanger
02-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Ranch Dog is having Lee make crimp dies for the straightwall pistol cartridges that will not have the carbide sizing ring. I haven't checked to see whether they're in stock or not but rest assured they will be soon.

Ranch Dog
02-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Ranch Dog is having Lee make crimp dies for the straightwall pistol cartridges that will not have the carbide sizing ring. I haven't checked to see whether they're in stock or not but rest assured they will be soon.

It will be this summer before they are available.

hk33ka1
02-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Ranch Dog what is different about these dies compared to the Factory Crimp die or Lee Taper crimp die for straight wall pistol calibres?