PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody cast/reloaded for the .32 NAA

bowfin
02-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Don't laugh, but I am going to reload for the .32 NAA.

I bought a barrel swap from Makarov.com, all of the brass they had left, and had Lee make me a batch of .32 NAA dies. Actually, I bought two barrel swaps, but only installed one.

I want something to carry out at a cabin for which I am caretaker. Mostly to thump feral cats and other critters trying to get into the pheasant pen, but not limited to those "chores".

Any input on molds for this cartridge would be appreciated, as well as reloading experiences and results.

Dannix
02-03-2011, 11:01 PM
You may very well be the only one out there loading boolits into .32 NAA. RanchDog has a .32ACP thread on another forum. Perhaps some of that he posted there will help you get started.

BaBore / BRP and RanchDog both have .32ACP moulds, so you can flip a coin between them. BRP can probably fix you up with a 1 cav HP though -- would almost certainly require preheating your mould on a hotplate, but a HP may be desirable for little critters. You'd want FN for serious social work though of course.

It's all moot if you can't hit a little critter with that I assume is a pocket gun though.

bowfin
02-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Dannix,

Thanks for the information.

The reason nobody reloads for the .32 NAA is that no company makes inventory dies for that caliber. I had to order 40 sets of dies from Lee. Come to think of it, I have a few extra sets left in the basement from the group buy I "honchoed"

My pistol is a Makarov with a 4.2" inch barrel bought from Makarov.com before they stopped selling their merchandise. I purchased two barrels (the other is a standard length), bought all the Starline brass from Makarov.com.

I don't count it as much of a self defense pistol, but I would like to develop "Minute of Critter" accuracy out of it. Since I rarely go there without my coonhound, most critters end up treed, so the shots aren't too daunting.

HATCH
02-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Would you consider selling your extra standard length?
I own a set of Lee dies.
bought them because I was thinking about get a ruger LCP conversion barrel
But changed my mind.

Dannix
02-04-2011, 03:48 PM
You are quite welcome.

Here's the applicable links. I didn't have time to look them up for you earlier.

BaBore/BRP. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=94054
www.brp.castpics.net
RanchDog. http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_23&products_id=19
http://bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3361
RD usually has load data with his moulds, but that's currently still pending. The forum post may be a good read for you though, even if it is .32Auto related.

And, I've got to ask, but why not just use a 22? Or is that just not nearly fun enough? :mrgreen:

bowfin
02-04-2011, 11:47 PM
And, I've got to ask, but why not just use a 22? Or is that just not nearly fun enough?

Too easy! Too available! Too affordable! Too efficient!

Actually, I wanted just one step up from a .22. Mind you, when coon hunting a .22 is all we ever take, but Makarov.com was going out of business, and I had three Makarovs, and they had the barrels, and I said to my son, "Hey, you know what we should do...?"

Well, he has no common sense either, so instead of talking me out of it, he just egged me on...

...which is why we have four Tanfoglio .41 Action Express Pistols and none in 9mm or .40 S&W.

bowfin
02-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Hatch,

Let me check on that barrel and make sure I can lay my hands on it. I'll also look for the invoice to see what the price was.

Are you going to size .380 brass down, or do you need some Starline .32 NAA? (It has a Makarov.com headstamp, but doesn't have the neck and shoulder, measures on the outside like .380)

bravokilo
02-05-2011, 03:43 AM
like this:

HATCH
02-20-2011, 04:14 PM
I could go either route on the brass.

35remington
02-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Whenever I think of the priciness of limited run brass of this sort, and then contemplate my gun chucking my expensive, limited availability brass somewhere where it cannot be found, a two inch 38 Special revolver looks like a lot more agreeable choice, as well as probably being a lot more accurate and easier to shoot.

Saying a two inch small frame 38 is easier to shoot seems like an oxymoron until we see the type of pistol you're comparing it to, as here; then we do agree the two inch .38 is easier to shoot.

But there's nothing like the novelty effect of probably being the very first person on the planet to shoot a raccoon, possum or feral cat with a teenytiny .32 pocket pistol with poor accuracy and terrible sights, is there?

I have to admit for that reason I'd probably be thinking of doing the very same thing myself and practicality and accuracy be damned!

If I really needed to kill some pest with a pistol I'd probably be carrying a four inch .38 Special, but a fella can carry whatever he wants. I would guess that if and when you actually manage to hit something the little .32 will do fine on the pestiferous critters you find on a farm that want to prey on chickens.

The whole thing kinda sounds like fun.

Combat Diver
02-21-2011, 01:09 AM
I would imagine that the .32 NAA would give close to .32 H&R energies wise out of a compact pistol (ie Makarov). The .32 H&R is known for its small game ability. I gave my last two .380s away (sister has the ADC M6 lightweight derringer and youngest son my CZ83) but I do still have a CZ50 loaded hot.

CD