PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check needed?

DeadWoodDan
02-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Just got my new NOE 311-165gr GCRF. I ordered a 4 Cavity, 2 GC & 2 PB. Forgot why i ordered it this way so trying to refresh my memory.

In a rifle when running under XXXX fps there is no need for GC?

I believe my intentions were to create 2 loads, one with rifle powder and another with pistol powder.

thanks
kevin

Maven
02-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Kevin, Assuming a good CB-to-throat and bore fit and one that is sufficiently hard (WW + 1% Sn) and carrying enough lube, you should be able to reach ~1,500 - 1,600 fps without a gas check. 8 - 9 grs. of Unique or 9 - 10 grs. of Blue Dot work with my PB CB's. However, you may have to experiment with the powder type and amount; CB hardness; and/or the amount and possibly type of lube applied.

Moonie
02-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Well a gas check does add expense and gas check boolits tend to not shoot as well sans check as a plain base will, at least that is the theory.

That could have been your reasoning, for the light loads.

Personally I just leave off the check on the really light ones, 9gr Unique is one of my favorites.

Mavrick
02-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Options!!

DeadWoodDan
02-03-2011, 05:29 PM
so i could even shoot a GC boolit/design without the GC for 50yds or less and would be fine?with unique or other powder

felix
02-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Dan, you can shoot anything you like. With your gained experience, you can begin to make your own rules. Safety is our main concern, and your objectives seem OK in that department. ... felix

btroj
02-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Dan, you can shoot anything you like. With your gained experience, you can begin to make your own rules. Safety is our main concern, and your objectives seem OK in that department. ... felix

Thank you Felix. This is the bit of advice ALL who reload and cast need to follow. If it is safe it is ok to shoot. Try, test, experiment, LEARN.
Once you have done the trial and error part you can gain the knowledge that allows for fewer bad decisions about what might work.
Knowledge is gained on at the range, not online.

Brad

Bret4207
02-04-2011, 08:28 AM
There's a great big whole section up the page titled GAS CHECKS that has zillions of posts on this very subject because people still ask the same question about once a week.