PDA

View Full Version : Nyclad bullets?

Maximumbob54
02-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Not sure if this is the right thread area for this. Has anyone tried to duplicate the nylon coating on a Federal Nyclad? I'm curious if you could size down and then spray coat or dip them to make that work. For all I know they may be swaged that way with the coating applied previous to being swaged. Any thoughts?

edit: I found a picture and the bottom of the bullet is concave so that would indicate a swage in the process, I think.

kywoodwrkr
02-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Do a search on NYCLAD .
There have been a couple of discussions in last, huuum, maybe year on this topic.
I still have a cellophane bag full of the old originals.
Not sure what I'm going to load them in yet. :o
More things to do than time right now.
Happy searching.

Maximumbob54
02-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I tried a search and I saw a few mentions of Nyclads and some mentions of other coatings but nothing direct. I’m thinking of spraying some epoxy paint on a few and then sizing them. Start at a very moderate load and go from there. I would just rather use something someone knows works rather than trying to be a guinea pig myself. My GP100 must hate me for doing this to it. But I think that is going to be my test platform.

fredj338
02-03-2011, 03:05 PM
The Nyclad was/is a soft lead core swaged into a nylon jacket. It's quite thick, much more than a coating. I am sure one could duplicate the process, but it wouldn't be cheap.