PDA

View Full Version : Plain Base Gas Checks

richhodg66
02-02-2011, 02:19 PM
While surfing through Ebay, I found these. Anyone used them of know much about them? Intriguing idea if it works well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/35-cal-aluminum-gas-check-for-plain-base-bullets_W0QQitemZ250767588566QQcategoryZ71118QQcmd ZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSI C%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFI CS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D250764771986%26ps%3 D63%26clkid%3D6807602081323540086

onondaga
02-02-2011, 04:12 PM
This is nothing new. Somebody is trying to make a buck. Gas check making tools that can make aluminum gas checks for plain base bullets are available from a member here on castboolits.

Secondly, the brilliance of someone using the word "casted" instead of "cast" is in question. I'd rather deal with people whose first language is English.

Start reading here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=104930

Open all the links and study the posts. You will then be entitled to a Ph.D in gas check making and be able to make an informed decision.

Gary

JeffinNZ
02-02-2011, 05:18 PM
My concern with such a process is the amount of stress you will put on your Lyman/Star sizer. They are not designed for such. I don't like bumping bullets either.

richhodg66
02-02-2011, 05:28 PM
My concern with such a process is the amount of stress you will put on your Lyman/Star sizer. They are not designed for such. I don't like bumping bullets either.

I was wondering about that too, which is why I asked if anyone had used them. Seems like the metal they are made from would have to be awfully thin for this to work.

For what the guy is asking for 100 of them, I think I'm gonna try some, but I'll probably run them through a Lee push through first before running them through my 450 to lube.

beagle
02-02-2011, 06:18 PM
i use the one's made with Pat Marlin's checkmaker. Looks identical to those. There is no effort at all in installing the checks either during lubing or placing on bullets that have already been sized and lubed. Although they look ragged on the edges, this irons out and the base is completely flat and smooth.

I have done limited shooting with mine due to weather but so far, they're accurate and no leading in a Ruger Blackhawk .357 with less than 100 rounds through it.

The .35 checks also work on PB 9mm bullets. The few that I've fired in my Browning High Power have worked all right.

I still need to load some 358430s and 35875s in my .35 Rem and try that./beagle

richhodg66
02-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Thank you. I have a mold for the 358430 and used it in .35 Remington, but I thought it might be great in the .35 Whelen with one of these style gas checks on it. I'll be giving some of these a try.

onondaga
02-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Aluminum flashing .0078" thickness from TruValue hardware stores has been used by a number of members for the Plain Base CheckMaker aluminum gas checks. I have the PB45 tool on order from Pat and will be using it for .458 Win Mag. I am convinced this will be very successful with my 340 gr plain base bullet.

Gary

richhodg66
02-02-2011, 07:40 PM
That's just standard roof flashing? I think I have a couple of pretty good sized pieces of that from re-roofing my barn last year. This is sounding better and better all the time.

ReloaderFred
02-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Some aluminum is tempered and some isn't. If it's tempered, it needs to be annealed before punching into gas checks, or it will tear.

Hope this helps.

Fred

onondaga
02-02-2011, 09:27 PM
A micrometer will tell the thickness and heat will soften the hard stuff if you really need to. I bet somebody here knows just the right temp to set a kitchen oven to anneal the hard stuff after it is cut into sheets and on a cookie sheet. ......Tell us now if you know!!

gary

ReloaderFred
02-02-2011, 09:59 PM
I annealed mine after it was cut into strips. I just used a propane torch and ran the strips through the flame. After I melted the first one, I pretty much figured out the speed to draw it across the flame. It cured the problem of tearing the checks when forming them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

taminsong
02-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Richhodg66,

I have Pat's 35PB checkmaker and the finish material looks like the one on your link, in ebay.

It really works in my GP100 357 mag, though I only used soda pop cans as the gascheck material.

If you want I can send you some for testing, but I recommend you talk to Pat and order the thing, you won't regret it.

Kynth

35 Whelen
02-03-2011, 09:15 AM
I've been gas-checking my 358429 HP's (a plain base design) for around 10 years now with ordinary Hornady checks. I fashioned a tool from a pin punch that flares the checks ever so slightly. I then set them in the die, set the bullet on top of them and pull the handle. When they're finished they look rather spiffy as the check is kind of swaged onto the bullet. Takes quite a bit more effort than ordinary sizing, my RCBS sizer does well.
I posted on this subject a few years ago, but nobody seemed interested. I'll try to snap a few pics and post them.
35W

beagle
02-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm doing the same thing with Pat's pop can checks on a 358429HP and some 358439s. They smooth right out on the edges and make a slick looking bullet and so far, a good shooting bullet. The bases are very smooth and flat./beagle

I've been gas-checking my 358429 HP's (a plain base design) for around 10 years now with ordinary Hornady checks. I fashioned a tool from a pin punch that flares the checks ever so slightly. I then set them in the die, set the bullet on top of them and pull the handle. When they're finished they look rather spiffy as the check is kind of swaged onto the bullet. Takes quite a bit more effort than ordinary sizing, my RCBS sizer does well.
I posted on this subject a few years ago, but nobody seemed interested. I'll try to snap a few pics and post them.
35W

PatMarlin
02-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Those look familiar because that's one of my customers. He has the 35PB Checkmaker™.

At that price-(about $53 per thousand), for $21 more bucks more you can get a set of dies of your own and make checks for free with beer cans, or about $1.50 per thousand using off the shelf Aluminum. Inexpensive thin copper too.

There's really not any good money in making checks, unless you had machinery like Gator and Hornady. If there was- trust me, I'd have the little woman pulling the handle.. :mrgreen:

Swede44mag
02-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Those look familiar because that's one of my customers. He has the 35PB Checkmaker™.

At that price-(about $53 per thousand), for $21 more bucks more you can get a set of dies of your own and make checks for free with beer cans, or about $1.50 per thousand using off the shelf Aluminum. Inexpensive thin copper too.

There's really not any good money in making checks, unless you had machinery like Gator and Hornady. If there was- trust me, I'd have the little woman pulling the handle.. :mrgreen:

His price is cheap enough for a SAMPLE pack. If I was him I would tell anyone I sold a SAMPLE pack to where to buy the check maker so they could make there own at a cheaper price.

That way you would get more business and less time to sleep, eat and have fun:bigsmyl2:.

JeffinNZ
02-03-2011, 07:20 PM
BEAGLE: What is the max BHN you would consider if prudent to try to operation on?

beagle
02-03-2011, 11:03 PM
I don't think the BHN has a factor in it really. I haven't tried any with real hard alloy. I use normal WW alloy and they slide on easy with very little additional effort. I was having trouble tonight with a large based 358429HP mould and had to size the base band and then go back and do the check as it wouldn't fit the base. Bullet's fault, not the GC's.

Hard or soft alloy, I believe they'll install and work well for you.

I also ran a test today on PB versus checked 358429s. I'd tested a load about 4 days ago and got about 100 FPS faster out of a 4 5/8" Blackhawk than I thought I should have. Says I, ah, the GC is driving the pressure up more than the PB and as a result, the velocity is higher.

Ran two batches today. Identical except one batch had pop can checks and the other was PB. Turned out that the average velocity was a bit higher with the bullets without the checks. There went my theory. This was a different powder than I'd been use to loading so I'm kind of sneaking up on it. Chronograph battery froze out on me as I was almost done testing. Durn weather./beagle

QUOTE=JeffinNZ;1148104]BEAGLE: What is the max BHN you would consider if prudent to try to operation on?[/QUOTE]