PDA

View Full Version : More Questions on PP

brstevns
02-02-2011, 01:31 PM
:lovebooli Frist I want to thank everyone for all thier help on the posting I have placed. I am learning alot about paper patching and I am sure some of my questions may sound silly to some. I am not new to reloading having been doing it for over 45 years and casting for over 40 years. Still I have a lot to learn so here is my next question.
Has anyone tried PP the Lee 300gr RF bullet that Lee makes a mold for, to be use in the 45colt and 454? I would think this to be a excellent bullet for the 45/70.

Catch
02-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Don't feel bad. I don't know it all either, by a long shot. That's why this forum is such a good idea. I think its worth a try. I have used pistol bullets in my replica Sharpes and they are fun to shoot and don't kick as bad. Patch um and grease um and size to .459 if need be and see what happens. I also shoot pistol bullets in my Marlin Ballard which has a .454 bore and was an "Express" rifle when it was made, but I don't patch them. You might get some better advice from the more knowledgable folks on here.

303Guy
02-03-2011, 12:42 AM
There a lot more paper patch 45/70 shooters on the black powder paper patching side - the 'dark side' as they say. Ask them as well.

Nobade
02-03-2011, 08:48 AM
It should work fine. I have been patching up the Ranch Dog 255 45 Colt bullet to shoot in my Marlin 1895. I wanted to see how fast I could get it to go. It'll do 2400 fps if loaded over a droptubed charge of 3031. Quite accurate as well, I could hit pop cans at 200 yards without much problem. As for less kick, I don't think so...

brstevns
02-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Has anyone tried it as a game bullet?

Nobade
02-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Well, it kills deer real well when shot at 800 fps from a 45 colt revolver. Shoot it 1000 fps faster and I'd imagine it would kill them deader. No seriously, big flatnose bullets like that are very effective on game. The one I used to play with had the gascheck shank removed to make it a plain base, no reason for a gascheck at 45 colt velocities. But if you patch it up and shoot it in a 45-70 I'm sure it would be pretty wicked. Not sure how it would feed through a Marlin though. I'd try a couple of dummy rounds first before I jammed it up in public with live rounds. Sure it would work singly loaded though.

Cmasailor
06-22-2011, 01:13 PM
It should work fine. I have been patching up the Ranch Dog 255 45 Colt bullet to shoot in my Marlin 1895. I wanted to see how fast I could get it to go. It'll do 2400 fps if loaded over a droptubed charge of 3031. Quite accurate as well, I could hit pop cans at 200 yards without much problem. As for less kick, I don't think so...

HOOOTA that's smoking. I'd like to hear more.
I Just finished reading The Paper Jacket and I've got plans to PP some of lee's 255gnRNFPs and the 300grnRNFPGC for my Marlin 1894CowboyLimited with 20'' bbl.

Mathews talks about Corbin's reducing dies but they sound like Lee's push-throughs.
Did you roll as cast and then size em back down before loading?
Details details lol

Cmasailor
06-22-2011, 01:15 PM
oops, you loaded em as cast for the 1895 not 1894, gotcha, nevermind

6.5 mike
06-22-2011, 04:04 PM
I have used them in my sharps 45-70 to fireform the brass to my chamber. Had some pretty good results if no wind. I did'nt push them very hard, light load of unique, filler, r-p, w/w, & starline cases, cci l/r primers. Boolits where wrapped as cast, 2 wraps of lined notebook paper, & sized to 0.459 in a lapped out lee push through sizer with just a touch of old car wax to lube. Always though it would make a good "finishing" round if needed. I've got some cast up, going to try them in my other 45-70 & see if I can push them some. Like some of the others, if this works, maybe lose the gas check shank in one hole.

brstevns
06-29-2011, 08:02 PM
I have used them in my sharps 45-70 to fireform the brass to my chamber. Had some pretty good results if no wind. I did'nt push them very hard, light load of unique, filler, r-p, w/w, & starline cases, cci l/r primers. Boolits where wrapped as cast, 2 wraps of lined notebook paper, & sized to 0.459 in a lapped out lee push through sizer with just a touch of old car wax to lube. Always though it would make a good "finishing" round if needed. I've got some cast up, going to try them in my other 45-70 & see if I can push them some. Like some of the others, if this works, maybe lose the gas check shank in one hole.

How are these working for you?

6.5 mike
07-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Sorry I did'nt get back to you eariler, last 2 weeks have been about a goat rope.
I really have not done alot of work with these, but am going to this summer in my other 45-70. I do need to sit down with the books & see where I want to start I'm looking for a good hunting load for this one as most of our shots are under 100 yds. This rifle has a scope on it so will help load devoplement. I plan to use 50/50 AC, then pp'ed to size. Would like to get around 1800 fps, at least that's my thoughts right now. This rifle does shoot 405's well at 100 so there is hope,lol.

brstevns
07-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Sorry I did'nt get back to you eariler, last 2 weeks have been about a goat rope.
I really have not done alot of work with these, but am going to this summer in my other 45-70. I do need to sit down with the books & see where I want to start I'm looking for a good hunting load for this one as most of our shots are under 100 yds. This rifle has a scope on it so will help load devoplement. I plan to use 50/50 AC, then pp'ed to size. Would like to get around 1800 fps, at least that's my thoughts right now. This rifle does shoot 405's well at 100 so there is hope,lol.

That is sounding good. I am hoping to try them in a 1895G for the small whitetail I hunt. My cousin has used the Lee 255 RF bullet paper patched out of his siamese mauser and is getting 2400 fps with good hunting accuracy at 100 yards. He uses IMR 4198 but I do not know the charge.

I am looking only for 1800 to 1900 myself as my shots are mostly around 50 to 75 yards.