PDA

View Full Version : steel case ammo and my mil guns

corvette8n
02-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I see Hornady is selling steel case ammo under their brand, I assume they are repackaging Russian stuff. My question will this ammo wear my .308, .223, 30carbine out, do I have to worry?

old turtle
02-02-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't think it is a problem as these cases are a soft steel. Germany used many steel cases during WW2 and the US used steel cases for .45 ammo during the same period. I don't think it is re-loadable and if tried might produce wear on the dies. But then I am not an "expert".

Jim
02-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Watch THIS VIDEO. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21iqJ3GA9bs&feature=player_embedded) At 45 seconds into the video, the speaker states that Hornady has a vendor that makes the cases for them and the ammo is loaded at Hornady. Obviously, it's not repackaged.
Their logic is, there's less cost in manufacturing, thus showing a savings for the competitive shooter.
All that being said, I would think their ammo is fine.

zuke
02-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Is it berdan or boxer primed?

Freightman
02-02-2011, 02:48 PM
I reload the Wolf 45 ACP cases all the time and it hasn't hurt my dies or my pistol Th eWolf 40-45-223 I know are boxer primed don't know about other cal.

madsenshooter
02-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I believe it is berdan primed. Yup.

DCM
02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Watch THIS VIDEO. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21iqJ3GA9bs&feature=player_embedded) At 45 seconds into the video, the speaker states that Hornady has a vendor that makes the cases for them and the ammo is loaded at Hornady. Obviously, it's not repackaged.
Their logic is, there's less cost in manufacturing, thus showing a savings for the competitive shooter.
All that being said, I would think their ammo is fine.

As Jim said they use the steel cases and their own bullets.

I understand that this Hornady ammo is a very good bang for the buck.

I would have no problem shooting this out of my guns.

DCM
02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
I bought some 5.45x39 Hornady steel cased, but I haven't got to the range with it yet.

It has a steel case and a V-Max bullet. I figure it should be better than the milsurp and probably smell better too.

frkelly74
02-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Yea but it's berdan. That makes it a non starter.

ironhead7544
02-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I have shot some 5.45x39 Hornady and it is very accurate. And it probably the cheapest centerfire rifle ammo made right now.

DCM
02-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Yea but it's berdan. That makes it a non starter.

If you know of any 5.45x 39 that is not Berdan primed please let us know.

I also would like to find a swaging die for 0.220" if anyone knows where one is available.

frkelly74
02-20-2011, 12:03 AM
I have been collecting 223 steel cases for a while . I pick it up to keep for a rainy day if it has not been wet and is boxer primed. I have tried loading it and it works. I am now loading 45ACP steel cases and am having success with it so far.

TNsailorman
02-20-2011, 12:23 AM
I tried loading some of the World War II steel case .45acp that I picked up at the range, this was in 1966 or so. It loaded just fine with a good tight bullet fit. A few months later I pulled some of it out of the ammo can to shoot and you could turn the bullets in the case with little finger pressure. The steel cases had evidently developed a good case of the "springbacks". You could grip the bullet with your finger hard and pull it out or shove it down into the case. Needless to say, I pulled the bullets and saved the powder and primers also. I haven't tried any steel cases since. I don't know the metalurgy of the steel used then or now but I think I will stick to brass as long as I have it. Might save some boxer steel just in case things go south on the component market. About all the steel I see at the range is berdan primed though. James

mroliver77
02-22-2011, 06:13 PM
I have caught a lot of flak over the years for shooting the steel cased ammo. I have been told horror stories about it wearing out chambers, breaking extractors and I think causing global warming. I started reloading the milsu .45acp stuff with the zinc coating years ago. I use a very light coating of lube even with carbide dies. I have never had any problems. I loaded a mag of 8 .45 acp in the 1911. I saved and reloaded 7 times and then got a mouth split. I lost one more each reload after that for a total of 12 cycles. There were 4 left after 12 loadings and I pitched them.
I loaded .223 steel quite a bit last summer just to see how good it works. My .223 NEF Handi rifle fired 1 cast 15 times with light sizing each reload. The primer was still satisfactorily seated. The only thing I see is cleaning in the vibrating cleaner removed most of the coating. If I load more I will utilize liquid cleaning with a quick pass through the vibratory. I tumble my loaded rounds for a final cleansing of sizing and boolit lube. I add mineral spirits with a touch of JPW to halp keep cases shiney and tarnish free.
Jay

NickSS
02-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I have shot thousands of surplus steel cased ammo and the only problem I have had is in opening the bolt on my moison Nagant rifle it is a bit stiff at times. I reload both wolf 45 acp and 223 steel cases and have had zero issues with them. In fact I just shot a box of them in 45 acp yesterday and they are on their sixth reload.

Lloyd Smale
02-23-2011, 07:18 AM
ive put thousands of rounds of wolf through 223 and 762x39 ars without one bit of problem
other then there dirty.