PDA

View Full Version : Looking for k-frame grips

redneckdan
11-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Jen and I are in the process of figuring out what kind of handgun she likes best. We had tried my 1911, my 19-4, a G17, a USP 45 and finally last night she tried a beretta cougar. She actually liked the cougar, all the others were too big in the grip. I would like for her to try a lot of differnt handguns before she decides on one. I'm wondering if I can find a grip for my k frame that is smaller than what I have, I have the S&W wood target grips and pachmyer presentation grips.

Pepe Ray
11-10-2006, 01:39 PM
to fit a K frame for a smaller hand you need to shorten the stretch from backstrap to trigger. 'Bout all thats left (KISS) is a Magna or service grip w/a Tyler "T"grip adapter. I don't have them or I'd be happy to oblige. Shouldn't be too hard to find tho. Keep her shootin, Pepe Ray

slughammer
11-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Presentations are made in 2 sizes, small and large. It should say on the inside of the RH panel. Something like K - L Large

lefty_red
11-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Get the "PROFESSIONAL" series of the Grippers. They are about 15% smaller and work great. If not, than HOUGEU's is a good one also.

LEFTY

Baldy
11-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Here's a pair of old style Hogues that I got at the gun show, and they are a lot smaller than the targets stocks. The new style doesn't have the screw going through the center of them. Good luck.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/4Baldy/IMG_0006.jpg

OBXPilgrim
11-10-2006, 09:11 PM
My little brothers wife loves her S&W M10 with 4"HB with the Hogue rubber monogrip on the gun. She doesn't have very big hands either, but the Hogue fits great.

I 2nd the Hogue - a must try.

David R
11-10-2006, 09:18 PM
I have the I think stock hogue momogrip with finger grooves. My fingers are too fat for the grip. I would trade for a bigger grip.

David

C1PNR
11-10-2006, 11:26 PM
I absolutely LOVE the custom fitted grips from Herrett's! Their website is:
http://www.herrett-stocks.com/index-2.html

Look for the model you are interested in and go from there. In my case it was the Custom Shooting Master and I sent them the drawing of my hand. A month or so later I received back a beautiful, and VERY close fitted, wood stock!

Mine was for an N model .45 Colt and it was JUST what I needed. Now all the 9's can only be blamed on ME![smilie=1:

I may live in Idaho, and they are a few miles from me, but they don't care a bit about me. This is just MHO and nothing more.:coffee:

redneckdan
11-11-2006, 12:19 AM
i have the presentation large. Also have the pachmyer gripper which is better but still to large for jen.

BruceB
11-11-2006, 01:07 AM
The "Magna" style of factory S&W grips are much smaller than the "Targets". On these grips, there is no wood whatever projecting beyond the edges of the gun's frame.

Go to

www.smith-wessonforum.com

and poke around there for some pictures. Particularly, watch threads on "S&W Revolvers from 1945 to the Present", and also watch "Classifieds" further down the page. "The Lounge" is a general-interest forum for practically anything having to do with guns or other remotely-gun-related subjects.

For anyone with more than a passing interest in the wonderful S&W guns, this website is by far the best I've found so far.

David R
11-11-2006, 08:24 AM
PM sent

JudgeBAC
11-11-2006, 10:53 AM
I have a set of service grips which came off of a Model 67 smith stainless .38 special. I no longer have the gun but still have the grips. They are not the target grips. If your interested PM me.

Joey
12-01-2006, 09:47 PM
I use either Pachmyer or Hogue rubber grips on all of my handguns. My wife has small hands and I have big hands. She and I can both shoot with the same grips comfortabley.

Biggfoot44
12-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Try a set of "Boot Grips". The Uncle Mike's are very reasonable, various other makers offer similar grips in wood.

Char-Gar
12-02-2006, 02:16 PM
I have had just about every kind of grips under the sun on Smith DA sixguns. When it is all said and done, the made to measure Herritts is the best way to do. The "Detective" model when done up in an oil finish and uncheckered is about as good as it gets for your purposes.

versifier
12-02-2006, 03:59 PM
I would have her shoot a Ruger Security Six. My friend's LEO wife couldn't find a S&W grip that fit her or shot comfortably for her and she tried J, K, & N frames with every commercial grip she could get her hands on. Her department told her that if she could find herself a servicable revolver and qualify with it, she could carry it. So, I took her down to Kittery Trading Post (a New England institution) where she got to handle several hundred different revolvers, new and used. I thought gun shopping would be painless compared to shopping for anything else with her, more fool I. [smilie=1: It took about three hours to make her choice, which I spent mostly playing with rifles and shotguns, so it wasn't all that bad. She even batted her eyes and smiled at the clerk, who threw in a free pistol rug to go with her Ruger. The Ruger factory grips were smaller and more comfortable. J frame S&W's had nice small grips, (I carry one and she tried it early in the process) but she found them painful to practice with even with .38spec target loads and preferred a .357mag (free issue ammo) and the heavier frame. After a month working out with it, the only other officer who shot a higher qualifying score that year was the dept's instructor, who used to compete. There are a lot more options for custom S&W grips now than there were then, (almost - shudder - twenty years) but the simple and inexpensive answer may be an older Ruger.