PDA

View Full Version : New RCBS mold problem.

Tedak
02-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I just received my first steel mold today. I degreased the blocks, warmed it up and started casting. I've only dropped 4 or 5 times, but I'm noticing that there is excess flashing around the boolits, where the blocks come together. If I hold the mold up to the light, I can see light through the seam where the 2 blocks come together.

I've only been casting with aluminum molds up 'til now and I think there is something wrong with my new mold. I know for certain that it's not normal with aluminum molds, but is this normal with steel?

I'm using Lee handles that I had to grind to fit the mold. They seem to fit OK.

Mold is RCBS .44-250-K.

stubshaft
02-01-2011, 07:01 PM
NO, it's not normal. Check the alignment pins and corresponding holes. There may be a burr or a drop of lead on them. If not then send it back.

peerlesscowboy
02-01-2011, 07:02 PM
You might have to tap one or both of the alignment pins in just a hair, use something like a rawhide mallet so you don't mar it.

John C. Saubak

ps, don't worry that you might get it in too far. If you do, you can just tap it out again from the backside.

Tedak
02-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys. I'll take a closer look at the pins once the mold cools down.

theperfessor
02-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Take the handles off and see if it closes all the way. If it does then you need to check your handle fit.

ktw
02-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Take it off the handles first and see if it closes properly without them. If it does then the problem lies in the handles, not the pins or block surfaces.

Thinning the arms of the handles isn't always good enough. Sometimes there is a surface geometry to the inner surfaces of the arms that must also be tweaked to get the blocks to close properly.

-ktw

Tedak
02-01-2011, 07:29 PM
You might have to tap one or both of the alignment pins in just a hair....
That was the problem. Thanks again guys!

smoked turkey
02-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't think I am high jacking this thread with my post since it deals with the same issue. I honestly was going to post an almost identical problem I have with my new RCBS 35-200-FN mold. This is my first RCBS mold. I read all I could find on the board about a boolit for my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. The 35-200-FN received very good feedback so I opted for it rather than the Lyman 358315. I purchased the Lee handles as well and ground them some to fit the side grooves and I also filed them some to improve the geometry as ktw mentioned. Without a doubt the pins on my mold are also causing the blocks to bind some as they are very hard to open when fully engaged. I haven't tried lowering the pins slightly since I just ran into this thread. Unless I squeeze the handles very hard I also get some excess flashing around the nose. I was going to ask if a set of proper RCBS handles would cure the problem because I am not sure the Lee handles have been modified to ensure proper alienment of the mold blocks. I am in the market for RCBS handles and I have a slightly modified set of Lee handles for sale. Sorry for the long post.

peerlesscowboy
02-03-2011, 01:25 AM
Sounds like the same problem Smoked Turkey,
The alignment pins have to be adjusted right, far enuf' out to hold the blocks in alignment but if they're too far out they'll cause the problems you describe. I've had new RCBS moulds that were the same. They just didn't take the time to adjust 'em right at the factory.
You'll probly find it's only one of the pins that's too far out and binding.

John C. Saubak

Dennis Eugene
02-03-2011, 01:54 AM
I absolutly love RCBS molds! Haveing said that it is true the pins often come not properly alined and often need tapped in. I've ran into it 2 or 3 times myself and have heard of it often. However once done RCBS molds cast right alongside any mold made by any other mold maker. Dennis Eugene

That'll Do
02-03-2011, 10:59 AM
All of my RCBS molds (I have 4) have required me to push the alignment pins back into the block to assure easy opening and closing of the mold, and to make sure there wasn't a gap. The otherwise work flawlessly.

smoked turkey
02-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks for those replies. Sure sounds like I need to push the alignment pins in a little. I have 30 or so Lyman moulds for lots of calibers and they are good moulds by my standards. This is my first RCBS mold and I agree it is a super mold. I cast 230 boolits with it first time out and even with the tight pins my boolit production and quality were second to none. It won't be my last RCBS mold. I thought the modified Lee handles could be the problem but I now understand what the problem is. As I said many thanks to all for the input.