PDA

View Full Version : Gonna deer hunt for 1st time this year

jonk
11-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Yep, am taking the plunge. I am 27 and have never hunted, been wanting to since I was 21, and now that I'm finally done with grad school, I have the time, at least on weekends.

Here in OH, we have muzzleloader and regular gun season (shotguns and handguns only, no modern rifles, though you can also still use muzzleloaders.)

The only suitable muzzleloader I have is a .58 Enfield 2 band replica. It shoots the Lyman 575213 OS fine with 45-50 gr. of FFG. A 460 gr. soft lead .58 bullet moving at rather slow velocity should prove devestating to any deer that comes my way... perhaps a bit overkill, but I don't want to invest in a new gun for a first hunt, I want to see how I like it first.

Wish me luck!

45stomp
11-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Jonk,
Good luck......that should be a great deer killer, and I wouldn't worry about overkill. Low velocity is not too hard on shoulder roasts.
Stomp:drinks:

C1PNR
11-10-2006, 08:27 PM
You have a great recipe for making meat! My only suggestion would be to up the powder charge to 60 grains. :-D

That was the Civil War military load and I have found it to be quite accurate. And it doesn't hit too hard on the shoulder, either.[smilie=1:

waksupi
11-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Go get 'em, buddy!

Glen
11-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Best of luck to you!

Bullshop
11-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Killing no matter how it is done is never pretty. Hunting and killing are two different things. Killing is a part of hunting but to enjoy killing in and of itself would seem a perversion to me. On the other hand enjoying the hunt for its chalenges, comrodery, and shear pleasure of being in the wilds is something that seems totaly natural, and normal. Matter of fact I tend to think of the anti hunter sect as being somewhat abnormal in that.
There are many in the anti side of hunting that enjoy a juicy rib eye steak or whatever thier favorite cut is as much as any of us. The only difference as I see it between us and them is that they pay someone else to do the dirty work, the killing so they dont have to see it.. I kill lots of animals every year not just hunting but in processing raised animals for slaughter. Its never fun and its never pretty but I do it rather than pay someone else to.
The killing part of hunting can be ugly, especialy if it goes badly for what ever reason. You have to be prepaired for that and deal with it if it happens. A bad experiance shouldnt change your mind about hunting but sure will make you do better next time. Learning the hard way may at times be the best way.
Enjoy the hunt and the rewards it brings. Dont feel dissapointed if you dont get anything, just learn to find enjoyment in just being there.
Some people find they just cant handle the killing part and there is no shame in that, some are just more sensitive to it than others.
Be safe and have fun!
BIC/BS

waksupi
11-11-2006, 12:09 AM
What Bullshop says. I always have a feeling of regret, when I take a game animal. That may be why I am not as gung ho as I used to be, but would rather enjoy the time in the mountains. However, to have hunted, one must kill. As long as you treat the game with respect, and involve as little suffering as possible, it is a far better way for an animal to die, than by starvation, or a pack of predators eating it alive.
I use every bit of an animal I can, and try to not waste any meat. I've tanned my own hides for years.
Just remember, it may be sport to us, but it is deadly serious to the game.
I must admit to some hypocrisy, however, as I do shoot varmints for pleasure. Those gophers and coyotes aren't all that good to eat.

TCLouis
11-11-2006, 09:02 AM
aim and place that boolit where it needs to go and that big ol chunk of lead moseying along at the speed it will be moving will make meat fer ya jus fine. If it will shoot accurately with a little more powder that would be . . . a good thing.

Enjoy the hunt and hunting more than the killin and I think fall will find you in the woods for the rest of your life.

Topper
11-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Good luck on your hunt, keep a cool head and don't get in a hurry.
I haven't shot that many deer, and I've only taken them with a handgun.
They a beautiful animals, and like others, it has always bothered me to see such a beautiful animal die at my hand.
It really shows you how deadly a firearm can be.
However, if no one hunted them, the populations would suffer from starvation & probably more desease.
My rule of thumb is if I don't feel comfortable with the shot, I don't take it.
I merely enjoy the fact that I got to see and experience something that most non hunters will never have the opportunity too experience or understand.

Boz330
11-14-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels that way. I have always enjoyed hunting but the pulling of the trigger always has it's regrets and more than once I have let an animal walk. When I was younger it seemed a lot easier but it was bucks only then. I hunt now to be with friends and to enjoy the outdoors and truly like the taste of venison. Better that they be in my freezer than rotting down next to the interstate.
Occasionally I run accross a youngster (relative to my age) that wants to slaughter every thing they come accross and I really don't understand this mindset. As Dan pointed out hunting is providing, killing is just part of the process just like pulling veggies from the ground or stalk, they just don't bleed. I take what I can use and no more, even though I could.
Having said that my godson and I are cutting up the rewards of the weekend. He took a very nice wide 8 point, his 3rd buck. I took a nice fat doe with a cast bullet and BP. Only thing left is the sausage, my favorite.
Good luck to everyone hunting and remember we are also part of the natural scheme of things, regardless of what the bunny huggers say.

Bob

JDL
11-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Congrats to you and your godson, Bob! Speaking of sausages......I think it's time for breakfast! :-D -JDL