PDA

View Full Version : Snags reloading .303 lead.

nagantino
02-01-2011, 01:52 PM
I am reloading cast boolits for my SMLE { 1916 } but have hit some problems....I wonder has anyone experienced the same snags.

I cast some .303 boolits from a Lee C312-185-1R mold then sized them to .311 only to find that significant shaving of the lead occurs at the case mouth. I like to neck-size my copper boolits but cannot make it work in this case. I tried full-length sizing but shaving still occurs

After checking Cast Boolits and other sights, I see that this is a common problem SOOOO.....my questions are:

*If I buy a Lee Universal Case Expanding Die, flair the case mouth, start the boolit how do I hold or crimp the boolit?

*Will the boolit seating Die close the flair or do I need the Lee factory Crimp Die as a final stage?

I will be ordering Gas Checks soon and would like to include all I need for a finished accurate round.

Yours in anticipation.:-(

docone31
02-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Iffen it were me, I would send the die back to Lee, and have them open it up to .312.
Lead vs copper, the copper will work in a larger bore, lead will deposit itself down the bore.
I load copper jackets at .312, rather than the .311 it is reccomended. Very accurate.
SMLEs are very generous in the bore area. Larger is better. I would also not size it from .312.
And yeah, you probably should flare the mouth.

georgewxxx
02-01-2011, 02:03 PM
You can run your loaded rounds into your .303 case sizing die to close up that flair if your bolt closes hard. The Lyman "M" die rarely has that problem, but it only works on 30 cal. cases. The Lee can be changed to almost unlimited calibers. Before you buy anything, I'd take a needle nosed plyers and twist it the case to flair it slightly to see if that takes care of your shaving problem. It's an inexpensive way to get the same results....Geo

madsenshooter
02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I've never had a problem with shaving, but I cast harder boolits, and I use a chamfering tool that is maybe 10 degrees, a metal burr really. Never had to take the extra step of flaring or using an M die. But, if you use the Lee Case Flaring Die properly, meaning only flare as little as needed, your seating die should close the flare, and I see no reason why you'd need the factory crimp die. You might also check the diameter of your present expander ball. If it's smaller than .310 you can order a larger one at the same time you're ordering the flaring die, look under parts on the Lee website.

Recluse
02-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I load that same boolit in several .30 cal applications, including my MKIII Enfield.

Like you, I prefer to neck size only, however I thoroughly chamfer the neck of each brass cartridge, and then slowly seat the boolit. I also will seat the boolit about halfway, lower the ram, then rotate the case and boolit 180 degrees, then finish seating.

This process has eliminated any lead from shaving. I haven't used a universal expander die--in fact, I don't even own one (even though it's been on my list to buy for probably ten years).

By the way, you are gas-checking those boolits, right?

:coffee:

paul edward
02-01-2011, 04:47 PM
What is the inner diameter of the case necks after sizing?

What is the diameter of the expander plug?

Did you flare the necks?

Your answers will allow us to suggest an appropriate solution.

You can flare the necks with a tapered punch. Or you can order a tool specifically designed for this task.

It is a good idea to neck size the .303. The chambers were so oversize that brass will not last long if resized every time.

Be sure to check the inside of the case for incipient case head separation cracks. You can make an inspection tool from a piece of clothes hanger wire.

Keep yer powder dry!

DIRT Farmer
02-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Go ahead and spring for theLyman 31 M die. You will get less neck tension on the casting, keeping it larger and the expanded case neck will keep the case mouth centered in the normaly generous throat. The M die is one of the tools that just make life easier.

nagantino
02-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Many thanks to everyone who gave their advice. Its funny how this problem seemed so large a few days ago and now it s sorted. The Needle Nosed Pliers worked great but I think the Lee Case Expanding die will be next on my list. And yes I am going to gas check. Thanks again.

02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Nagantino,
Do yourself a big favor and research the Lyman M die. Though not "universal", it is a much better tool. Not only will it "expand" the case mouth -- versus "flaring" ala Lee -- it installs a "step" that allows the boolit to sit squarely in the case as it enters the seating die -- rather than at some odd angle, again, ala Lee.

M die expander plugs are removable, so one die body can be used with many different sized sized plugs.

I use M dies exclusively for every caliber...the Lee universal expander that has been gathering dust for a very long time.

nanuk
02-04-2011, 04:30 PM
.... The Lyman "M" die rarely has that problem, but it only works on 30 cal. cases. .....

They make a .31 die...

also, couldn't one get a .32 M die and reduce it?