PDA

View Full Version : Little Lee 30 Cal Soup Can and Deer

TCLouis
11-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Anyone here ever use that combo in 30-30, 308, or 30-06 for deer.

I have seen results of 30 Carbine coated bullet at 2100 fps in 30-30 and it seemed to work JUST fine for close shot. The Soup Can should do as well or BETTER . . . jus cause it is CAST BOOLIT.

So what is your opinion?

Dang may be that no one here has an opinion . . . usually hard to get opinions on this site <LOL>

versifier
11-10-2006, 01:06 AM
My cast ACWW soupcans loaded in .30-30's have killed three deer. All were fairly close shots, broadside, and one shot kills. Two penetrated completely, none of the deer made it farther than 10 yards. Unfortunately, I was not the one that pulled the trigger, and none of the boolits were recovered. :( The deer, however, were tasty. :-D I load a lot of ammo for other hunters with both cast and jacketed. Both of the hunters who shot the deer with the soupcans now use Lee 150FN's, (successfully!) which are not quite as accurate, but will penetrate on a quartering shot. I have still not managed to get a recovered boolit. I think a lino soupcan would penetrate, but I don't think it would expand. Several people have expressed some interest in the lino version for coyote hunting for pelts with .308 & -06. Cast from ACWW they expand fine, as long as they are launched at a decent velocity, like 2500+, and the range isn't beyond 100yds or so.

It goes without saying that I would only load a light boolit like the soupcan for experienced hunters who have the maturity and self control to pass up marginal shots. It would be a nasty wounder in the hands of a spray & pray type.

Bret4207
11-10-2006, 08:25 PM
It is a well known fact that a deer can't be killed with anything less than a 349 Lazerby, delpleted urainium, boat tailed, Z bullet at no less than 56, 989 fps. It must be fired from a Double barreled, bolt action, Lazerby Prestige model Tactical Super Sniper Extreme Rifle with the optional Pillars of Hercules bedded micro bead blasted, quad-pod equiped, Tactical Extreme stock. No less scope than a Loopydrawers 4-85x100 power, Tactical Extreme, Mil-Dot, Polka-Dot, Range guessing, Burrito Gas filled, Illuminated Tactical Extreme Prestige model.

These irresponsible and radical ideas of shooting anything larger than a grass hopper with some inadequit round, like a 458 Win for example, is leading to things like global warming and male pattern baldness. Ask Craig Boddington or Clair Resse or Claireese, however you spell it. And you guys better start dressing up in soldier clothes like David Fortier and Pete Kokalis if you're going to use guns. Don't you guys read the magazines these days? Sheeeze!

rugerman1
11-10-2006, 08:36 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gif

KCSO
11-12-2006, 05:37 PM
The soup can wouldn't be my first choice for HUNTING deer, but it kills them quite nicely with the right shot. I use them in 30-40 and 30-06 for all kinds of small game and for finishing wounded deer. There is no meat loss when they are loaded to 1400fps.

snowman
11-14-2006, 12:46 PM
It is a well known fact that a deer can't be killed with anything less than a 349 Lazerby, delpleted urainium, boat tailed, Z bullet at no less than 56, 989 fps. It must be fired from a Double barreled, bolt action, Lazerby Prestige model Tactical Super Sniper Extreme Rifle with the optional Pillars of Hercules bedded micro bead blasted, quad-pod equiped, Tactical Extreme stock. No less scope than a Loopydrawers 4-85x100 power, Tactical Extreme, Mil-Dot, Polka-Dot, Range guessing, Burrito Gas filled, Illuminated Tactical Extreme Prestige model.

These irresponsible and radical ideas of shooting anything larger than a grass hopper with some inadequit round, like a 458 Win for example, is leading to things like global warming and male pattern baldness. Ask Craig Boddington or Clair Resse or Claireese, however you spell it. And you guys better start dressing up in soldier clothes like David Fortier and Pete Kokalis if you're going to use guns. Don't you guys read the magazines these days? Sheeeze!

And here I thought that the smallest thing that could kill a deer was a car...preferably one that has less than 10,000 miles on it. At least, that's been my experience.

I'm just confused by all you guys going hunting with GUNS...I thought guns were just for killin people, and scaring bank tellers into giving you all their money.

I never understood deer hunting...I was trying to figure out how you were avoiding all those trees in the woods with your pickup truck. I thought the gun was used to finish the animal off, once it is under your truck tire.