PDA

View Full Version : Ruger #1 9.3x74R

Tatume
02-01-2011, 07:55 AM
If anyone has experience with the medium sporter in the caliber, please share you impressions. I'm trying to decide whether I should buy one.

elk hunter
02-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Great caliber no matter what brand of rifle/action. I don't own a #1 in 9.3 x 74, but do have a couple in other calibers. The #1 should make a fine cast bullet rifle. I do have a Chapuis in 9.3 x 74 and love it. I've taken one deer and one elk with it, but with jacketed, not cast. If you're a single-shot person you'll like the rifle.

rockrat
02-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Don't have the 9.3 x 74 R (except in a Tikka DR), but have a number of #1's. I was thinking about buying one, till a #1 218 Bee came my way instead. Have a 375 H&H in a #1. Very accurate with cast boolits

looseprojectile
02-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Is harder to find brass and bullets and more expensive than 375 H&H.
My #1 is a 375 H&H. The rim is no advantage in a #1.
I have had three 375 H&H #1s and they all were one holers. Very cast friendly too.

Of course if you just want something different the 9.3 X 74R ought to do it.
I also have a 450 Alaskan and the 11mm Mauser just to have something different.

Life is good

Tatume
02-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Hi Folks,

Right now I have five Ruger #1 rifles. My 375 H&H weighs 9.5 pounds with a 1.5-5x Leupold Vari-X III scope. My 458 Win Mag weighs 9.5 with only factory iron sights. One of my objectives is to pare the weight somewhat, and the Medium Sporter model is supposed to weigh 7.5 pounds. I intend to put on XS Sights sights front and rear.

My next objective is to use a cartridge that works well with cast bullets. The neck of this case is over one half inch long, and should cover plenty of grease and keep the gas check in place. Also, I like rimmed cartridges, and there are very few in the #1 series.

Another objective is to reduce recoil, while still having a potent hunting cartridge. The 270 gr LBT LFN at 1800 fps will have substantially less recoil than even a trapdoor-level 45-70 load in the same weight rifle.

So, that's what I'm looking for. I'm still open to suggestions.

Take care, Tom

Reverend Recoil
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
I have owned my Ruger No.1, 9.3x74R for two years. It is a fine rifle that I have used to kill a number of wild hogs. My loads are RWS cases, IMR 4064 powder, and paper patched 245 gr. SAECO 0.358" bullets. The paper patched bullets shoot as well as any jacked bullet I have tried. Search the Smokeless Paper Patch forum for 9.3x74R and 9.3x62 for more information on 9.3mm paper patched loads.

Tatume
02-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Search the Smokeless Paper Patch forum for 9.3x74R and 9.3x62 for more information on 9.3mm paper patched loads.

Thank you, I will do exactly that.

Cheshire Dave
02-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I'll second the Reverend. I bought a No1 in 9.3x74 after reading about his. I also got a bunch of ammo and dies in a gun trade which pretty much made up my mind. Hornady makes brass and you can get cheap Privvi jacketed bullets so reloading it isn't bad at all. The light weight makes it a little rough off the bench but a sweetheart to shoot offhand. The .375 Ruger No1 is quite a bit heavier. I just recieved my NOE group buy 368280 mold and am looking forward to working up some loads. Plus that long cigar of a round just looks cool.

rockrat
02-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I will add , that if I was to buy another #1, it would be the 9.3 x 74R gun. If I come across one cheap at a show, it will come home with me.

NHlever
02-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Have you all been able to load those long cases with a standard press? They look pretty cool, but may need a .50 cal press?

AkMike
02-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Any standard sized press will work fine.

Reverend Recoil
02-02-2011, 09:45 PM
I started loading 9.3x74R with an old RCBS JR3 press. It will work with a press that size. You have to tip the bullets up and into the seating die before seating. I now load all my big cartridges on a Lyman Crusher press.

NHlever
02-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Thamks for the press information. One of the gun shops I frequent has a 9.3X74R in stock, and I have been eyeing it some. I shot one at the plant when they started making them, and was pretty impressed with the gun, accuracy ( only shot it at 50 yards indoors). etc. The cool factor of loading those long rounds is almost worth it by itself.

Tatume
02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi Folks,

It looks like I'm almost up and running. You guys have been a big help. AkMike has been a big help on another forum too.

Veral Smith is making a mold for me. I'm paper patching 180 gr jacketed 357 bullets. If I can find a used 357 or 358 mold to cast heavy bullets I'll patch them with paper too. When I ordered the dies and brass I found Speer 270 gr bullets for $20 per fifty, so I'm going to shoot some and put an unopened box away for a special occasion. I'm trying to buy a sizer die from a fellow here, and I've asked Blammer about 375 gas checks (he's had them before, so I'm sure he'll have them again). Next month (when my wallet recovers) I'll order a sight set from XS Sights, with the aperture that accepts threaded inserts (I REALLY like the Williams 0.125" Twilight aperture).

My wife is buying the rifle for me for my birthday in May. I'm not supposed to shoot it until then, but she let me shoot my Christmas gift early. She also put a lump of coal under the Christmas tree for me. :-) I have it in front of me now.

Thanks, Tom

AkMike
02-04-2011, 01:10 PM
My wife is buying the rifle for me for my birthday in May. I'm not supposed to shoot it until then, but she let me shoot my Christmas gift early. She also put a lump of coal under the Christmas tree for me. :-) I have it in front of me now.

Thanks, Tom

You'd better hang on to that lady!
She's a "Keeper"!!!!!:grin::grin:

Mine told me recently that I 'have' to go to Africa in 2012..

Tatume
02-04-2011, 02:16 PM
You're right about that! And back at you.

wsjones
02-05-2011, 05:34 PM
I got one last year but since I've owned it only shot some Lapua 'Mega' factory loads that Graf's had a good price on. Cost me less for loaded ammo to fire form than to buy brass and bullets.

That said, brass is readily available, as are bullets from every manufacturer. I got some Privi 286 gr bullets to start with and if they shoot, I'll stick with them since it'll be used for nothing bigger that whitetails and maybe a hog or two (if I still have friends in SC!).

elk hunter
02-05-2011, 09:32 PM
" I got some Privi 286 gr bullets to start with and if they shoot, I'll stick with them since it'll be used for nothing bigger that whitetails and maybe a hog or two (if I still have friends in SC!).[/QUOTE]

I've shot one deer and one elk with my 9.3 x 74 and the Prvi 286 grain bullet. On the deer the heart was in chunks in the chest and there was extensive blood shot. I put down a wounded five point bull and he wasn't impressed, it took four shots to get him down and I know I wasn't missing him. I didn't get to see how the bullets performed on the elk, but I'm reasonably sure they were too soft for elk size animals. They may work fine for someone else, but In the future I'll shoot the Prvi's for practice, I'll use Noslers or possibly some of my little hoard of Normas for game.

bullshot
02-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I also have a Ruger #1 in 9.3X74R. I have shot the Speer 270 gr and the Privi 286 gr with good results. However I, like Reverend Recoil shoot paper patched .358 boolits with better results. I use the Lyman 358318 and the Lyman (NOE) 358009. It's a great rifle, a lot of fun to shoot.