PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start Cowboy Action in Spring

BSkerj
02-01-2011, 12:41 AM
I am thinking about starting Cowboy Action in the Spring and I have run across a good used LNIB .357 Ruger Vaquero SS. It was manufactured in 2002. What would be a good price to offer? He wants 485.00 but will take any resonable offer. Thanks!

Blackhawk Convertable
02-01-2011, 01:39 AM
I would offer $400 and go from there.

EDK
02-01-2011, 09:34 AM
I am thinking about starting Cowboy Action in the Spring and I have run across a good used LNIB .357 Ruger Vaquero SS. It was manufactured in 2002. What would be a good price to offer? He wants 485.00 but will take any resonable offer. Thanks!

Go to gunbroker, etc for some prices. I like the Original Size VAQUERO like yours in both 357 and 44. I have gotten blued guns off auctionarms for $350 (three 5.5 inch 357s from the same seller over a year) but stainless runs higher, as do BISLEYS. A face-to-face sale saves shipping and transfer fees..about $50...and you get to examine it before you buy. Missouri has 8% +/- sales tax.

Hey mike in co...cowboy action shooting is a nice sociable sport....not too many people out for blood to win; a few, but a distinct minority. They shoot; spend some money on guns and clothes, etc; have a good time and don't bother anyone while they are doing it.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

6.5 mike
02-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I gave $400 for mine with an Andrews cross draw holster the weekend before thanksgiving, SS 4 5/8" .357. Show in P'cola. Was very surprized when I checked the price for the holster ($145), figured I done good. A real fun shooter.:Fire:

ReloaderFred
02-01-2011, 06:05 PM
About $400.00 would be in the ballpark.

And you'll never shoot with a nicer bunch of people. Those who disparage it have never tried it, and would probably get their butts whipped shooting against some of our women folk.......... I shoot with some people who can make a single action revolver sound like a machine gun, and never miss. My wife can make a leveraction rifle sound like a semi-auto, and she doesn't miss.

Besides, 80,000+ shooters can't be all wrong. There are more SASS shooters than there are IDPA, IPSC, ICORE and 3 gun combined.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Springfield
02-01-2011, 06:12 PM
And it's SASS. Don't know what ssas is. One of the best ways to get people to shoot at least once a month and start supporting our gun rights again.

Throckmorton
02-01-2011, 10:24 PM
don't forget,you'll need 2 handguns,so budget for the second one....and a carbine....and a shotgun.
whooe,I'd forgot how 'spensive it can be to get started,but the smile on ur face after the match is worth it !! :)

Jim
02-01-2011, 11:06 PM
8 posts...............hmmm. I thought this thread was longer the last time I looked.

redneckdan
02-02-2011, 01:52 AM
It was. Somebody busted out the spam hammer.

ReloaderFred
02-02-2011, 01:55 AM
"It was. Somebody busted out the spam hammer."

And rightfully so..........

bbs70
02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm not into cowboy action shooting.
Been to several of their matches over the last couple of years though.
Some of the nicest, friendliest people I've ever met.

While it is a competive sport, most I've talked to are there to have fun.

crabo
02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I feel like when we discuss the validity of anything firearms related we often miss the point. Sometimes we act like liberals, who when they don't like something, they try to outlaw it. Just because it is not for me, I should not be critical of someone else's choices. (Although it is very hard not to do with the tacticool group)

I personally do not want to dress up and go shoot cowboy matches. I do love shooting my lever action rifles, particularly in Smallbore Silhouette matches and Pistol Cartridge. I shot a buffalo with my guide gun.

I have a friend that loves guns. He has about 300 and he shoots once a year or so. I shoot his guns more than he does. He is a collector and I am a shooter. Both of us contribute to our sport and industry. The tacticool group is helping some people make a living and bringing in a bunch of new shooters. Cowboy shooters do the same thing.

August
02-03-2011, 01:18 PM
"It was. Somebody busted out the spam hammer."

And rightfully so..........

Amen !!!

One of the very few times my blood has boiled as the result of reading something on this site. As a matter of fact, I think it was the same guy last time I got upset.

Cowboy action is a great sport. Wonderful community (the first element of sport) and real emphasis on encouraging the newcomer (second element of sport).

It is a very subtle sport that takes many years to master and, then, it still depends on putting everything together, just right, to prevail (over yourself, and the competition).

I've been shooting CAS for over ten years now and have met wonderful people and learned a lot about myself through the mental discipline that the sport takes.

You're gonna love it, too, I'll bet.

Surge223
02-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Where can I find CAS in SW MO? Sounds like fun. What 3 guns do I need?

EDK
02-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Where can I find CAS in SW MO? Sounds like fun. What 3 guns do I need?

Go to sassnet.com for information....Single Action Shooting Society. They're the biggest organization and have less "authentic clothes and guns nazis" than some of the other organizations...SASS is pretty reasonable about your clothes and guns

Two single action revolvers; pistol cartridge lever action rifle; vintage shotgun.

I use VAQUEROS, a MARLIN Cowboy Rifle, and an 1897 WINCHESTER shotgun. My usual clothes are a western shirt, jeans and cowboy boots, so clothes are not much of a stretch.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

btroj
02-04-2011, 07:18 PM
I am not into cowboy action, not likely to start either.
I will say thank you to those who are.
Without cowboy action we would have a lot fewer revolver and lever action choices than we do. The major mould companies have also added new mould aimed at the cowboy crowd.

We all owe a debt to these guys. They have driven the manufacturers to develop new products and increase availability of old ones.

Thank you

Brad

iron mule
02-04-2011, 08:41 PM
i have one more thing to add to this
cowboy action shooting is a family sport
it is one of the few nationally/ world wide recognized shooting sports that actually welcomes / encourages the youngsters to shoot and participate in the main matches that they have
my son and i got involved in this about 8 years ago due to the fact that he was 6 years old then and i wanted to find a shooting sport we could both participate in together this was the only one that would allow it and i looked into several others went to their matches with my son and most would did not even want him to get close enough for him to see what was going on much less shoot at one
the first cowboy match we went to just to see if we would be interested and just to watch had no plans of shooting i had to keep telling the folks there that we were not going to shoot just watch and the next thing i know was this old geezer had my son on the firing line doing a little hands on practice
needless to say we have been hooked since
mule

Doc Highwall
02-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Don't forget about TrailBoss powder coming out of cowboy action shooting. My two biggest gripes about cowboy action shooting are the light mouse fart loads that I think should shoot the same weight bullet to within 100fps as the original loads and the short stroking of the lever guns. If you want less recoil shoot a smaller caliber don't brag that you shoot a Colt 45 and it has the power of a 22 short.

Four Fingers of Death
02-05-2011, 08:34 AM
You will need two revolvers and I'd be checking out what a new pair cost. I danced around buying one gun at a time and now shoot matched pairs, way better!

ReloaderFred
02-06-2011, 02:15 AM
There are several reasons for the light loads used in SASS events.

One is the fact that we're shooting steel targets at relatively short ranges. Lighter loads reduce the amount of splashback, which is a good thing.

The second reason is the steel itself. If you're not the one buying the targets, then you can't appreciate the cost of them. Low power loads make the targets last longer. There's nothing good about spending $1,000 for a set of new targets, and then having someone with magnum level loads come out and beat the **** out of them. The divots in the steel from hot loads cause ricochets at odd angles, among other things.

The more we can do to reduce hazards on the range, the better, and light loads is one of the things we can do, as long as the loads are reasonable.

Another area where the lighter loads helps is the number of women who shoot the sport. There is a higher percentage of women, and younger shooters, in SASS than any of the other shooting sports. Sure, there are some women who can handle a steady diet of stout loads, but the majority can't. If they don't enjoy the sport, they won't stay with it.

It's shooting, and as long as people are shooting guns, having fun and making friends, don't condemn it, or them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

eljefe
02-06-2011, 09:22 AM
I would look for a used New Vaquero instead of the Vaquero.
It will be a lot easier to find another New Vaquero to match
with the first one. That applies only if you want two that
are identical.

I have been shooting CAS for two years. I like dressing up,
it brings out the little kid in me. To each his own...
It is a great shooting sport, and I look forward to each match.
I am not a serious competitor, preferring to shoot black
powder, and big bore sixguns. This season, I am shooting
cap and ball revolvers, and black powder rifle and shotshells.

To me, what makes the sport great is that there are many
ways to approach it. If you want to shoot for speed, or
prefer authenticity, there is a place to do so. Have fun!

smkummer
02-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I shot my first match last year and probably 75% of the cowboys and cowgirls are shooting 38. Most say they are doing it for cost but it clearly appears that one has a competitive edge with the lower recoil. They are shooting some really light bullet loads that out of a rifle that sound like a 22. Trail boss seams to be the powder of choice. If you find yourself liking the sport, you will need a progressive press and a six cavity bullet mold for costs and time reasons.

Even the shotshells are light and now some powder manufactures show data as low as 950 FPS for shotshells. If one uses smooth sided hulls such as AAs, they often fall out of the chamber of a double when the barrel is held muzzle up. Hammerless doubles are now allowed and its a toss-up to which is faster between it and a Win. 97.

Phat Man Mike
02-12-2011, 08:22 PM
I wonder if the dress code would allow me to wear bib overalls? that's the only long britches I own? :)

x101airborne
02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
I too am thankful for the SASS shooters. Think of how many Colt SAA's have been resurrected for the sport. Handmade western belts and holsters are now cheaper than ever. Companies are reproducing long gone weapons (Colt Lightning) Odd shells and reloading equipment are common again. Eventhough I dont participate, I appreciate all they do for the sport. They also feed just a FEW gunsmiths families.

Four Fingers of Death
02-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I like using warthog loads and dislike the popgun loads used by most. Having said that, the sport would not be so popular with women and juniors.

Malcolm
02-13-2011, 12:45 AM
I dont know how old youll are but this old man kind of likes them lights loads. They dont knock the fire out of me when I pull the lever.

Four Fingers of Death
02-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Scheeoooooooooooooooooooot! I must be asleep at the wheel, someone was causing a ruckus and I didn't even notice :(

waksupi
02-13-2011, 03:07 AM
I wonder if the dress code would allow me to wear bib overalls? that's the only long britches I own? :)

I would think it would be quite appropriate. Lots of the early cow punchers were farm boys that left home. Bibs were pretty common. Get yourself a fairly narrow brimmed felt hat to go along with it, you should be real styley, and more authentic than the guys dressed like they are in a 1930's B western.

Four Fingers of Death
02-13-2011, 07:17 AM
I would think it would be quite appropriate. Lots of the early cow punchers were farm boys that left home. Bibs were pretty common. Get yourself a fairly narrow brimmed felt hat to go along with it, you should be real styley, and more authentic than the guys dressed like they are in a 1930's B western.

One of the original cowboy shooters in Australia who is now an elder statesman, is a western railway fan and wears bib and brace overalls and a Casey Jones hat!