PDA

View Full Version : Remington's Mausers,

madcaster
11-09-2006, 10:52 PM
They seem to look okay,but can anyone tell me if the controlled round feeding feature was retained?
I was thinking of a .222 and it looks like it is boiling down to either the CZ or a Remington....
I will not report on groundhog charges having unless I have had to stop the charge![smilie=1:
Thanks Ya'll,
Jeff.

NickSS
11-09-2006, 10:58 PM
I looked at a couple of remingtons but not in the caliber you are talking about. Both had controled feed and looked much like commercial FN Mauser actions of 20-30 years ago.

LGS
11-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Remingtons new Mauser line are the same manufacture that Charles Daly imported the last few years. Made by Zesteva of Serbia.

Four Fingers of Death
11-10-2006, 01:21 AM
The small Zustavias hit the scene here some years ago and tried to ride on the success of the Interarms MkX Mausers which were a class act and very popular. They were a bit of a flop. They were ok, but not as nice as a Sako (to be fait, Sakos are a lot dearer, but they were veru popular) or as functional as a BRNO (now CZ). The CZs were/are a proper mini mauser, sometimes they fel a bit rough at first, but they are a strong, well made rifle. We aussies have been using them forever and they had the market sewn up in the cheaper rifles. I have one in 22Hornet, class bit of kit.

lovedogs
12-06-2006, 11:15 PM
All I've read and heard about the "Mauser Remingtons" had been good. They are a little stiff and have a few rough spots, as mentioned in a previous post but are good, solid guns.

It seems to me that Remington is trying to do two things. First, they no longer have a good economy rifle like what the 788 and Sportsman 78 were. Their 710 is a piece of junk and a huge flop. The Czech's make and market a good barreled Mauser action that is well known and of good quality. And that brings us to the second thing, a controlled feed action. In my opinion this is way over-emphasized but some folks just have to have them. And the Model 70 is currently not an option. So Remington is taking advantage of that and marketing their imported Mauser with the Remington mark on it. They are supplying us with two good options, the traditional Remington and the controlled round one. Smart move. I hope it works out. Everyone could be kept happy and it'd be a good move on the part of Remington. Arms manufacturers need all the help they can get to stay out of red ink nowadays.

Lawyerman
12-14-2006, 10:46 AM
I have been looking at getting one in 7.62x39 as a companion to my CZ527. I really like the laminated stock option. I had a Mark x in .223 and it was a decent rifle, not terribly accurate but then I had never worked with it much either. Swapped it off and bought a Savage 10fp .223, didn't have to "work" with that one, it just shoots!

versifier
12-14-2006, 03:13 PM
I would seriously consider owning one. Controlled feed is not a big point for me, but controlled extraction is. The Mauser style extractor is not subject to the problems I experience. Shooting light cast loads from my Remingtons, I get regular failures to extract. My private theory is that recoil causes extractor engagement, and when it is insufficient, the little spring doesn't snap over the case rim. It is not a dirty bolt issue, either. I get it with my .308 m788 and with two m700's, a .308 and an -06. I stripped the bolts and cleaned them inside and out. Nor is it an issue of dirty or oily brass or chambers. There are never problems with jacketed loads or cast loads that use heavy boolits and charges. I never have problems with my Mausers or K31, just the Remingtons with their "snap-on" extractors. Forcefully working the bolt, as I would in a hunting situation, significantly minimizes the problem, but it is difficult to do when sitting at the bench. When it happens, I have to stand and work the bolt with authority, which usually does the trick. Has anyone had similar trouble? Maybe I'm missing something obvious here.

waksupi
12-14-2006, 11:40 PM
I am a definite fan of the Mauser extractor system. Much more reliable than the Remington system. Best thing you can do with a Remington, is to put on an after market Sako extractor. They still fail, but are easier to replace! I deal with dangerous game rifles at work every day, and you will see no Remintons being requested for the task.

nelsonted1
12-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Question: Is a Savage considered a controlled round feed? I know this is about Mausers but I've been plaqued with this question for a looong time but never asked.

TED

Pepe Ray
12-20-2006, 03:36 AM
The model 99.

fourarmed
12-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Versifier, have you dropped your brass into a cartridge headspace gauge? It's hard to understand how the extractor wouldn't snap over the rim of a case unless it was a little short.

lovedogs
12-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Versifier I would never argue with you as all I've seen you write about here has been right on. And there are others who have also commented on the "weaknesses" of the Remington extractor when compared to the Mauser extractors. Most honest gunsmiths will readily admit that all types of extractors will occasionally fail. Sometimes it's the factories fault, sometimes the owner's, and sometimes it's just plain wear. Which is really the best design? This debate may go on forever. I remember reading years ago about a test someone did using both the Remington and the Mauser extractors. If I remember correctly they machined a rod so that it had an "extractor groove" on the end. They made some sort of contraption that could hold a bolt that could be pulled on until something gave. When the extractors were done correctly the force it took to break the extractors or make it fail to extract far exceeded what the rim on a regular brass case could ever endure. In fact, their conclusion was that the Mauser extractor would fail to extract more often than the Remington extractor. The reason wasn't necessarily because it was stronger but because the way a Remington extractor works when it's functioning properly is much like a Chinese finger puzzle, the harder you pull the tighter it grips. Their conclusion was that, in most cases, the Remington was the better extractor. Many things we take as gospel are no more than old wives tales and are often repeated by so many "knowledgeable" writers that we tend to believe them. I believe this is the case with this ongoing debate.

When it comes to the advantage of controlled round feeding there is some merit in this part of the debate. But, this too, is a bit overdone... I think. I don't ever face Cape Buffalo or anything very dangerous but at one time I wondered about this feeding thing. So I got out one of my Mauser 98's and tried to make it foul up from various positions. I found it fed reliably and positively all the time in all positions. Anyone with any experience with the Remington should know you can tie one up if you don't work the bolt properly. But if you give it a full stroke and work it smartly it should work properly. I tried several of mine. If the ammo that's being fed is the right length, and not seated overly long, as some have a habit of doing, it will feed reliably. I do have some that I seat way long on something like a dedicated prairie dog rifle and these could, possibly, give feeding problems. But with a properly functioning Remington extractor and ammo of correct dimension the Remington will feed just as reliably as the Mauser. Mine even feed upside down, and I can't perceive ever having the need to use one that way.

So I believe that most any system will work if it's functioning correctly and your ammo is of correct dimension. I think the controversy over extractor types is like, I believe it was Shakespeare who said it... "much ado about nothing."

swheeler
12-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Madcaster; in reading your thread I knew that I have not yet seen any of the new Remingtons, but I know someone that has, so I e-mailed him and I will post his reply for you- Scot
Scott,

"In the thread about Remingtons 98 Mauser, tell the dumb****s that the
Model 798 is a dead duplicate of a 98 Mauser right down to the safety
lug, except it has a separate side safety and the magazine floor release
is different on the how it's situated in the trigger guard. Tell them
(the guy is interested in the Model 799 which is the 223) that it's not
a Mauser action and the what looks like a claw is just a rail like a
Sako. No controlled feed. The company that made Mark X Mausers are
making them. That the stock and fitting job are the worse of any rifle
ever sold on the market. You tell them Starmetal provided this info."

Joe

45 2.1
12-21-2006, 12:50 PM
You tell them Starmetal provided this info." Joe

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :Fire: :redneck:

carpetman
12-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Cant be a Starmetal quote---he didnt mention shooting one hole groups with one.

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I have seen half a dozen. The inletting looks as if it were done with a drill press using a router bit and manually moving the wood around. The stocks look as if they were finished with a horseshoe rasp. The local Cabela's got some in, and sent them back...they told the distributor to check the boxes for fit and finish before sending anymore out. These things have got larger tolerances than a WWII 1911. The retail price will put you behind an old model 70 in std calibers for about the same $$$.

My gosh, what garbage. I expect Zastava will dump them and go to a different importer by summer. They make the ones the old distributor Chas Daly brought in look like an Al Biesen full custom.

Piss-poor fitting of wood to metal here.

JMHO

Rich
DRSS