PDA

View Full Version : Grease cookies

nwellons
01-31-2011, 07:30 PM
I've been reading as much as I can about BP cartridge reloading and find some folks use grease cookies for extra lube. The rifle I have started on, a
Russian .42 Berdan II originally used "tallow cups" but these seem to be called grease cookies now. Some writers use them, others don't but I can't find out why they made the decisions; must have just been experience.

I also plan to reload .43 Egyptian and .44 Russian.

Can you help with pros and cons of using grease cookies?

kodiak1
01-31-2011, 07:58 PM
grease cookies are mostly used when paper patching bullets.
Powder, Wad, Grease Cookie, Wad, Bullet.
If you put a grease cookie in a grease grooved bullet you wouldn't hurt anything. You should have great control of your fowling if you lube is working like it is suppose to.

Ken.

Harry O
02-03-2011, 09:11 PM
If you are shooting a correctly lubed bullet (make sure you use specific BP lube, not smokeless lube) and are getting hard fouling near the muzzle, you need a lube wad (or cookie). If you have soft fouling near the muzzle (and in some cases, a moist "star" of excess lube on the muzzle) you don't need a lube wad.

I make it by melting part of a BP lube stick in a small fry pan with water in it. Boil the water until the lube melts then shut off the stove and let it cool. Take the disc off the top and measure the thickness. If it is too thick, break off some and remelt the rest. If it is too thin, add some more from the lube stick and remelt it. Thicknesses of 1/8" to 3/16" work best for me.

After charging the case with BP, I put a cut disc over the powder and use the mouth of the case to cut out a lube wad from the bottom of the disc you made in the last paragraph. Then add another disc on top and then a bullet.

nwellons
02-04-2011, 01:38 PM
I tried my first run using a BP recipie I found (uses beeswax, vegetable oil, and Crisco) and made .20 cookies. I only fired 20 rounds of .42 Berdan but noticed no fouling and the rifle was quite easy to get clean. I may not need it but it is easy enough and makes the BP load a little lighter. I have not tried to fine-tune accuracy yet.

I like you method of making the lube disc with water in a fry pan. Sounds much easier to get the right thickness than the way I used.

Gunlaker
02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
They definitely help the fouling with PP bullets. I use a lube extruder that I bought from BACO. It's a lot less messy than the other methods I've tried, and more importantly, the cookie thickness is very uniform.

Chris.

RMulhern
02-04-2011, 09:24 PM
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5596/seatinglubecookies.th.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/i/seatinglubecookies.jpg/)

semtav
02-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Well Rick I clicked on your pic and got a virus.
Brian

RMulhern
02-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Don't have a virus! Must be imageShack!

Kenny Wasserburger
02-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Cookies work great for me in Hunting loads, 16 shots fist sized groups at 167 yards. No wipping just a few blows down the barrel at the breech between shots.

For serrious target work Wipe and shoot good groups. NO Cookies.

KW
The Lunger

montana_charlie
02-05-2011, 01:04 AM
Well Rick I clicked on your pic and got a virus.
Brian
Don't have a virus! Must be imageShack!
I went to the linked address and got the warning message in the attached thumbnail.

Then, when I clicked Cancel on the warning, I was taken to this webpage...
(Removed to keep the foolish from clicking on it - My edit -Waksupi)

Whatever it is, it's nothing I wanted to visit. It appears to be a status page (looks like it's generated by your own computer, but it is a webpage) and the status shows a lot of various kinds of infections...along with an offer to clean them up if you click on the button.

No Thanks to that!
Never did arrive at Rick's picture on Image Shack on that try...

So, I deleted all my temprorary internet files, cleared my browsing history, and dumped all of my (unwanted) cookies.
Then I clicked on Rick's thumnail and went straight to the picture on Image Shack...no problemo.

I don't think there's anything viral about Rick's images or with Image Shack. But, I think somebody is tampering with Image Shack to divert people who browse into the website. They get routed to some bogus location that SEEMS to indicate you are eaten up with trojans and virus infections.
If you are foolish enough to click on anything other than what it takes to close the webpage, you are asking for trouble.

CM

waksupi
02-05-2011, 01:48 AM
When I was infected with this Trojan last year, it built cumulatively over about two months, until the machine was totally crashed. I warn again, the online "fix for bucks" does not work. They are the ones who turned this loose on you.
For all others, until this gets under control again, I urge you to not click on any links or web pages you are not familiar with.

Charlie, if you clicked through that far, your computer is most likely infected now.

montana_charlie
02-05-2011, 02:05 PM
When I was infected with this Trojan last year, it built cumulatively over about two months,.
What's the name of it?
CM

Harv33
10-14-2011, 05:33 PM
One good grease cookie I read about was 1/8" felt disc soaked in Borebutter.
My trouble is finding the 1/8" felt. There's lots of thin stuff in the craft store but it's more like polyester or something. May order vegatable fiber stock from Buff. Arms.

Lead pot
10-14-2011, 06:20 PM
I went to a hat maker and got all his 20X and 10X trimming scraps and they sure cut good using the press mounted wad cutter.

Harv33
10-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Old felt hat,,, good idea !!,, Thanks..

montana_charlie
10-15-2011, 12:19 PM
This is a known source of good felt ...
http://www.durofelt.com./image_26.html

Scroll down to the sixth table of sizes. That is the 1/8" F-1 hard stuff.

CM

Harv33
10-15-2011, 06:48 PM
ALRIGHT Charlie !!!. Just what I was looking for.. Thank you [smilie=s:

Yance
10-16-2011, 07:47 PM
This is a known source of good felt ...
http://www.durofelt.com./image_26.html

Scroll down to the sixth table of sizes. That is the 1/8" F-1 hard stuff.

CM

MC; Thanks for the link. Just ordered some of the 1/8" F1 to try with my new .38-55.