PDA

View Full Version : Unknown ingot in latest score?

10 ga
01-31-2011, 07:18 PM
In latest trade at junkyard walked away with a "lead" ingot in the cache. It is marked hoyt metal co. st. louis Then in large letters Genuine-A next line is not genuine without signature and in script E. R. Hoyt then on other side of ingot stamped registered u.s. pat off Ingot is 6" long, 2" wide and 1&1/8" thick.
I think it may be some kind of solder or babbit? I put the info in the advanced search in various forms and got 0. Anybody have any idea what the makeup of this ingot is? Thanks, 10

Hickory
01-31-2011, 07:25 PM
I'd sell it on ebay.
No tellin' what some
idiot will give you for it.:-D

[smilie=2:

onondaga
01-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Ingot molds rarely identify alloy, after all you can pour anything into them. A flea market guy told me he gets more money for the lead he pours into Lyman molds than he does for lead he pours into Lee molds and he gets the most money for the lead he pours into a mold that says Western Union 50/50 solder.

Ask your Junk Yard man to see all of his ingot molds next time, he probably sells those also.

buyer beware!

Gary

10 ga
01-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Onondaga, This is obviously some type of alloy. It wasn't molded at the junkyard. The ingot was in the "lead pile" that the yard has next to the batteries. It was in a bucket of fishing sinkers, glass came, and battery cable terminals. I took all but the fishing sinkers. It was $.50 lb and I got some cable sheathing too. The cable sheathing was not striped off and still had the copper wire in it. Alloy ingot, cable sheathing with copper wire, battery cable terminals most with 10" to 15" copper wire on them. $.50 lb. for all. The ingot is considerable harder than pure Pb but does not ring. Think I'll slip over to goooogle and see what I can find. 10

PS: google results: Babbit, mfg before 1928, tin based. It's light for it's size.

*Paladin*
01-31-2011, 11:32 PM
I'd sell it on ebay.
No tellin' what some
idiot will give you for it.:-D

[smilie=2:

This idiot is willing to give a buck for it! And I don't care if it's contaminated with tin and/or antimony! [smilie=l: