PDA

View Full Version : New mold arrived from fleabay

garbear
01-31-2011, 06:22 PM
This is a mold I won on ebay. it is an ideal mold 358-432-228 wc. They stick a little coming out, but drop better then the lee mold I had. they are casting at 162 grains with my alloy. I have loaded a few and they shoot decent. for 30 dollars to my door I can't complain.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/grizzlybeargar/DSCF2954.jpg

BCall
01-31-2011, 06:40 PM
I really like that boolit. I have a 4 cavity, and it is the only wadcutter I shoot. Granted I shoot few wadcutters, but the 358432 does everything I want them to do. Good looking boolits.

excess650
01-31-2011, 08:25 PM
You can resolve the sticking issue by applying some light abrasive to a boolit and turning it clockwise and then counter clockwise in the mold. Do it by hand and not with a drill.

There is a similar 32cal WC with the longish button nose.

As slow as they seem, those SC molds usually cast very well.

MT Gianni
02-01-2011, 06:48 PM
You can resolve the sticking issue by applying some light abrasive to a boolit and turning it clockwise and then counter clockwise in the mold. Do it by hand and not with a drill.

There is a similar 32cal WC with the longish button nose.

As slow as they seem, those SC molds usually cast very well.

Start with a #2 pencil and go over every but of the cavity with the graphite end. Then cut it off flush or use a new one and rub as much of it as you can with the wood. Try that to free it up. Use a heavy magnifier to look for any burrs and remove them with a sharp edge razer knife if the pencil doesn't get them.

BSkerj
02-02-2011, 01:10 AM
I have been finding some good Ideal/Lyman molds on ebay as of late. I seem to be picking up the single cavities as no one wants to be bothered with the time it takes to get a pile. I am just the opposite, I like going out to the man room and losing myself in casting. Granted it does take awhile but so do the winters here !

wingnut49b
02-02-2011, 01:15 AM
I can't believe the prices on there. Watched a 314299 and 311299 climb above what Midway asks for them without the shipping. Crazy.

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. So I listed a set of dies I'll likely never use. We'll see if the luck holds!

shotman
02-02-2011, 01:39 AM
I bet you aint outdoor karting to day

Three44s
02-02-2011, 01:50 AM
I think Owl Gore needs to save the day.

garbear,

You might also want to check out the "kroil" thread if the above suggestions don't pan out. I'd do the above first however ..... as they are "goodin's" .....

Best of luck on your new to you mold!

Three 44s

garbear
02-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I'll say this after cleaning the mold with a toothbrush and denatured alcohol. I had 2 rejects at the beginning and then she cast like a dream as far as fill out goes. I run through my sizer and it didn't sized them much. I am Thinking of shooting as cast. I did another small run and they seemed to drop better. The more I do the more I like. I still have a small 2 lb pot so no biggie. I have loaded some and also put some lubed and sized in a Tupperware tube for later. Already looking to get another one soon but in a different style.
Garbear

smoked turkey
02-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Good on you and your finds on fleabay. I can't seem to be able to buy any I am looking for because some are willing to pay new price for a used mold without the storage box.

Echo
02-03-2011, 06:32 PM
I like this boolit, and load it for a friend who shoots 38 Specials in her M-19. I believe the 'bore-rider' section works well in the longer chamber in the M19.