PDA

View Full Version : S&W Forum - Lead Bullet Reloading Safety

Freischütz
01-31-2011, 02:17 PM
If you're interested check out the discussion.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/174946-health-safety-when-reloading-lead-bullets.html

alamogunr
02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
More common sense than I expected. Not a single post that hewed to the political/bureaucratic line. I think we need to realize that, even though the health hazards are overblown, if we don't take the political hazards seriously, we may be an endangered species.

John
W.TN

steg
02-02-2011, 02:59 PM
About 10 years ago my Doctor and I were talking about shooting, yeah he was a shooter also, and I was telling him about casting boolets and reloading them. He got a concerned look on his face and said "dont you do alot of soldering on your electronics job", and I answered that I'm usually handling solder most of the day. he asked if I wanted him to check me out for lead in my system, I said ok and he did bloodwork, a few days later he called me with the results and they were completly normal, no problems at all. Now this was just my results, and I haven't any idea how lead would affect anyone else, but it is easy to check it out............steg

Recluse
02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Glad to see good thinking, level heads and intelligence on the S&W forum. I'm a huge S&W fan and would hate to end up cussing their forum. . . :)

My doc's husband is a big-time shooter and reloader, so she likes to check me out for lead levels whenever she catches me in her office--usually cowering underneath the examination table.

Only once have I ever had high lead levels--and we attributed that to a stretch where I did a LOT of shooting indoors, LOTS of reloading and more to the point, brass tumbling, and I didn't bother washing the hands nearly as much as I should have during all of that.

So I put a new bucket of hand-cleaner in the shop by the sink, bought a half-dozen boxes of one-time-use vinyl gloves for handling the brass when sorting it for tumbling in the Thumler's, and stayed away from the indoor range for six months.

During that same period, I doubled my intake of vitamin C, drank more water, and continued to cast as normal.

Six months later, my lead levels were at the LOWEST they'd ever been.

I attribute the levels more to indoor shooting and handling the fired brass than I do casting boolits.

:coffee: