PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning primer pockets

dart55
01-31-2011, 10:44 AM
I know there is "nothing new under the sun" like King Solomon said, however I forget way more tips and tricks then I remember. Here is a fast trick to clean your primer pockets.

Last night I thought, heck this fine 12 gauge copper wire looks like a little bore brush and I have a drimel, lets see if it works!! Well it was fast, like 1 to 2 seconds per case! Just make sure you use a wire uses many small copper strands so you do not damage the case! Every now and then just chomp and strip more wire if it lays over.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc365/dart552/Photo278.jpg

Dan

Bad Water Bill
01-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Who said you can't teach an OLD dog new tricks. I never heard of using stranded wire before to clean primer pockets. But then I just started in 196?. Live and learn.

Thanks for the tip.[smilie=s:

putteral
01-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Can't remember the last time I cleaned a primer pocket in my pistol brass.

geargnasher
01-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Good tip. Since I don't clean primer pockets much either unless boiling the brass in citric acid solution, that gets them pretty clean.

Gear

Blackhawk45hunter
01-31-2011, 11:08 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but what citric acid solution do you use for boiling your brass?

azjohn
01-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Here's the link. Read away.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83572

Blackhawk45hunter
02-01-2011, 02:29 AM
Ok, thanks!

prs
02-01-2011, 01:43 PM
When cleaning brass in scalding hot citric acid, detergent, and water are you folks depriming first?

If I do not clean primer pockets, eventually the primers can not seat fully. 45 Colt revolver rounds with real black powder or Unique (recently some TrailBoss) and WW or CCI LP primers. These are fairly low pressure loads with modest crimps, so the brass lasts a looong time.

prs

Cadillo
02-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Deprime and then tumble in stainless media. Both primer pockets and case interiors will shine like mirrors. No more corn cob on the press or bench.

Nice!

zuke
02-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Deprime and then tumble in stainless media. Both primer pockets and case interiors will shine like mirrors. No more corn cob on the press or bench.

Nice!

I know what'cha mean! I too have seen the glimmer of gold like brass!

beagle
02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
I've been using SS wire rope in a dremel for years. Just a touch and they're clean./beagle

HangFireW8
02-02-2011, 01:05 AM
I know there is "nothing new under the sun" like King Solomon said, however I forget way more tips and tricks then I remember. Here is a fast trick to clean your primer pockets.

Last night I thought, heck this fine 12 gauge copper wire looks like a little bore brush and I have a drimel, lets see if it works!! Well it was fast, like 1 to 2 seconds per case!

I once had a similar great idea for burnishing a tiny hole with a thin wire in a dremel. It worked great.

Then I withdrew it with the dremel still spinning, and in a fraction of a second it flailed the back of my left hand about 100 times.

Wow, I'll never forget that lesson.

-HF

Lloyd Smale
02-02-2011, 06:55 AM
I havent cleaned a primer pocket in 20 years.

unclebill
02-02-2011, 07:18 AM
I havent cleaned a primer pocket in 20 years.

when i first started loading i did.
but i havent in a long time.

mrbill2
02-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Nice!

Cadillo
Where do I get stainless media and what do I ask for ?

old turtle
02-02-2011, 10:50 AM
+1 for Bad Water Bill. I am also an old dog (turtle). Ideas like this are one of the reasons to participate on this site.

gnoahhh
02-02-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't tumble my brass, or clean it in any way other than wiping it. I do clean primer pockets, but with a small flat blade screwdriver to knock out the big chunks. I devote too much time to other aspects of case preparation without adding polishing time too. 'Taint necessary IMO. My loads won't win any beauty contests, but they'll win other more important contests!

Cadillo
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Cadillo
Where do I get stainless media and what do I ask for ?

Go to the 'Sniper's Hide" website and go into the "Forums" section. Find the "Reloading" forum and look for a thread entitled "Stainless Media Testimonials". Peruse through that, and you will be able to send a PM to one of the two guys who can help you out.

You will find them a little secretive, but they are on the up and up and will help you out. I have made two purchases through them and know them to do what they say they will do.

Buying the stuff from any other source will cost you several times more than the folks at Sniper's Hide. I shopped for the media on the internet and can tell you that the gentleman who is ramrodding this is not making any money, but is a long time shooter, who does this to help other shooters.

Just another Heads Up, a vibratory cleaner will not work with the SS. This method requires a true tumbler. I have the Thumler's Model B High Speed, which is what the folks on the Hide recommended. I couldn't be happier.

JSnover
02-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I decap after cleaning, so there's no chance of media being left in the flash hole. One of these days I'll try the SS media. In the meantime I give 'em a quick twist of the pocket cutter. Excess fouling it gets scraped out, short pockets get trued up.