PDA

View Full Version : AK muzzle device

MtGun44
01-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Swapped the slant comp on my AK for a M-16 style flash hider, on the off chance
that it might improve the fairly dismal "accuracy". No help, possibly worse, will
need to try them side by side.

Did remove the flash hider and shot another group at 50 yds. BIG improvement
with a bare muzzle. Like 5 shots into 5" with the flash hider and 4 of five into
1 3/8" (one out to 4" !! probably my fault, not certain) with the bare muzzle.

More testing on a warmer day with both devices and at 100 yds.

The trigger slap is getting painful. I have seen trigger pieces advertised as
"no trigger slap", didn't really know what it was, but now I do. Nasty and
gets worse as you shoot more and your finger starts getting sore.

Bill

mike in co
01-31-2011, 02:37 AM
ak are not target rifle, not even close to an ar in accuracy.
they are short range battle rifles.....
now having said that accuracy can be improved with ammo choice.
not in the list is russian steel case lacquer cssed ammo,,,,,nor any similar milsurplus ammo.
i doubt the slant effects accuracy in slow single fire....does help in the muzzle down in rapid fire...quicker reaquire of the target.
brass cased hand loaded ammo will help...but it is still a battle rifle with a large chamber and a chrome lined bore.
you want accuracy from 7.62x39...get an ar .....better chamber......heavier bbl....better sights.
1in is not hard at 100yds...

mike in co

Swapped the slant comp on my AK for a M-16 style flash hider, on the off chance
that it might improve the fairly dismal "accuracy". No help, possibly worse, will
need to try them side by side.

Did remove the flash hider and shot another group at 50 yds. BIG improvement
with a bare muzzle. Like 5 shots into 5" with the flash hider and 4 of five into
1 3/8" (one out to 4" !! probably my fault, not certain) with the bare muzzle.

More testing on a warmer day with both devices and at 100 yds.

The trigger slap is getting painful. I have seen trigger pieces advertised as
"no trigger slap", didn't really know what it was, but now I do. Nasty and
gets worse as you shoot more and your finger starts getting sore.

Bill

RU shooter
01-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Heres one of many sites that walk you through fixing trigger slap issues .

http://gunguyoh.tripod.com/triggerslap.htm

HATCH
01-31-2011, 07:20 PM
I know a little bit about AK's

can you tell me the make and model of then one you have?

Sprue
01-31-2011, 11:52 PM
I've built a few AK's, and from the very first build I was amazed of its accuracy and performance from all of them, even the almost undetectable rifling of an old M70. Accuracy BTW Mike, is relative. AK's are Minute-O-Man, the perfect tool for all intent & purpose, and probably the # 1 gun ever manufactured.

With it, I can hammer a circular 2' steel gong @ 235 yrds no problemo. Rekon my tri-focals have anything to do with it? Not!

Trigger slap, I've hear of that (glad I haven't) but have never experienced it from any surplus pistol or rifles. On the subject, I sure would like to find a $99 kit in new like condition nowdays....and factory ammo could be picked up @ a buck 25 per box.

Back on track, I'm wondering what kind of trigger you've got in that rifle, single or dbl hook? Speaking of triggers, the $30 ones on my AK's are heck of a lot better than factory AR's and most anything I have. I just got a new Savage 12bvvs in 223 so I can't compare it ..yet [grin]

Anyway Bill, keep us posted on your findings.

MtGun44
02-01-2011, 12:11 AM
It has a side folder wire type stock, built by a local guy. No idea what parts
kit he based it on, unless the side folder stock gives it away. Slant muzzle
comp with axial plunger to retain it. Other than that, looks like a std AK to me,
sheet steel receiver. The maker is 'Citizen Armory'.

I did the trigger slap mod, should be a huge improvement. Wonder why the
dang American disconnector has that stupid lug on the back that does nothing except
cause trigger slap?

"Amazed at the accuracy" - well, me too, but not the way you mean. How can a
rifle shoot 5" 'groups' at 50 yds? :shock: With the muzzle bare, it was a HUGE amount
better.

And spare me the lame 'battle rifle' excuses. I have lots of other battle rifles and ALL
of them are a bunch more accurate, with flash hiders and they work, too. Frankly, the
AK has only one design requirement. It must go bang. Beyond that, EVERYTHING was
sacrificed - WORST 'safety' on the planet, poor sights, short sight radius, not the
worst trigger pull, but a contender; contender for world's heaviest magazines,
lots of other 'features'. Mine jams, too - but I put that up to the build by some
American jackleg.

Sorry, not much of a fan. I go to Russia regularly and, trust me, it fits the country
pretty well. Durable, idiot proof and a very poor performer in all the other functions.
And the Russians will tell you ALL their stuff is '20% better'. LOL!

Bill

mike in co
02-01-2011, 01:36 AM
you are right is is a battle rifle with battle rifle accuracy(min of man).............
it goes bang every time with bare maintenance..........

but the accuracy sucks compared to other rifles........

thin bbl. short sight radius, krappy sights......( built for short people)......

but it does go bang every time.....now if one could just hit somethign with one......

i like sks's over ak jusr cause...heavier bbl, longer sight radius.......

you did not mention your ammo selection......

mike in co

MtGun44
02-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Nice shiny, clean Prvi Partisan brass cased surplus copper jacket lead core. Really looks nice, not
absolutely certain it is good, but IME, PP has been really good ammo. Saving the cases, have
berdan primers, intend to load some with US bullets and see if anything improves.

Frankly with a bare muzzle a 1 3/8" @ 50 group is pretty OK. Need to see if it is repeatable.

Bill

thegatman
02-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I bought a trigger group from redstararms.com that fixed the problem of trigger slap on my Ak's. I hope this helps. It was a drop in part.

MtGun44
02-05-2011, 03:15 PM
I modified the interfering part, which have no function whatsoever in the cocking
cycle. Have not had time to test fire, but once I understood what was going on, it was
clear what the problem was. I think that part is fixed, but will need to see for sure by
firing.

Bill