PDA

View Full Version : mil-surp ammo

adrians
01-30-2011, 11:11 PM
hi i normally cast and load for my mausers but i got this stuff cheap ,,is it any good? it looks turkish and one of my boys is a turk so i got some,.
how does it rank as far as milsurp ammo goes,? just curious .
adrians.:evil::confused::twisted:
( i promise to only shoot what i got and go back to my crucible ,):castmine:

MtGun44
01-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Hot ammo, works fine for me. Not target grade, IME.

Bill

Uncle Grinch
01-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Adrian,

I have shot well over 500 rounds of Turk 1944 and don't remember any mis-fires. Since I now have several 8mm moulds, I sold some off and pulled 300-400 rounds for the powder and bullets. Quite a few of our club members still shoot it at our matches.

It is corrosive, however, and requires an immidiate wash down of the bolt and bore. I use a windex ammonia mixture and squirt the bolt face and then lower the muzzle and squirt the chamber until it runs out the muzzle. A thorough cleaning is in order when I get back home.

Give it a good inspection and you should be fine.

Larry Gibson
01-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Not "hot" as such as it is loaded to German specs. Velocities run 2825 - 3000 fps depending on lot and barrel length. The cases were not annealed and are somewhat brittle which can give some extraction problems whach are mistakenly percieved as high pressure problems. I have thoroughly measured the pressure of numerous lots of Turk 8x57 ammo to verify this. PSIs are always where they should be for this ammo. Putting the same powder charge and bullet in WW cases with WLR primers gives the same psi, same velocity and normal extraction. Many of the case necks on the Turk ammo will also split on firing or when the bullet is pulled. Entirely safe to shoot and accuracy isn't bad for milsurp either.

I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder, necksized the cases, recharged with 5% les powder charge, seat bullet and crimp ith a LFCD for 2650 - 2690 fps out f my shooter M48. Extraction is easy, accuracy still good and recoil is easier.

Larry Gibson

thegatman
02-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Nice "thumbnails"