PDA

View Full Version : your just gonna croak......

mike in co
01-30-2011, 10:07 PM
at a gun show today a friend picked up a 30-30 for $175.....

the guy had walked half way thru the show with no takers......

did i mention a great bore......

did i mention a winchester!!!!

ohhhhhh and a freaking pre64!!!!!!!!

i offered him an instant 5 dollar profit...he passed.....

mike in co

btroj
01-30-2011, 10:12 PM
No takers? Was he asking just idiots? With the way anything Win has inflated in price I would have thought he could get a lot more than that from multiple dealers.

WOW

Brad

stubshaft
01-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Too many Bozo's looking for what they saw recently on the toob or at the theater. Years ago I bought a 1950's Winchester mdl 64 for $35.00. No one at the show had ever seen one and didn't make an offer on it.

rockrat
01-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Send some of those guys over here on the Western Slope, in a few months, when we have our show. I could use a few deals like that!!

mike in co
01-31-2011, 10:29 AM
well as a reference point for you guys, this show is 700 tables...and he had to have gone by close to half of them. the table he sold it at was part way down the second side of the show...no he never made itto my table.....

there are savy dealer in that first half.........no idea how he made it so far......

some time warp thing.....

mike in co

excess650
01-31-2011, 11:05 AM
I picked this one up about 10 years ago. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29039&stc=1&d=1296486130

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29040&stc=1&d=1296486130

1958 DOM, I recall.

hydraulic
01-31-2011, 09:53 PM
To bad someone put all those ugly scratches all over it.

reivertom
02-01-2011, 12:38 AM
It's really sad how many dudes are only looking for the latest "ultra mega ubersschootzin T-rex killer" or a ninja rifle.

Three44s
02-01-2011, 02:44 AM
It's really sad how many dudes are only looking for the latest "ultra mega ubersschootzin T-rex killer" or a ninja rifle.

Hmmmm ...... not too bad if you are on the receiving end of a good deal!!!

It usually pays to not run right with the "herd"!!

Three 44s

Throckmorton
02-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Score !

starmac
02-01-2011, 03:11 PM
I guess I shouldn't mention the excellant pre 64, that I traded 3 or 4 hours labor for last year. lol

9.3X62AL
02-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Mike--

Interesting story, that. I get the idea that a lot of gun shows and/or their attendees sort of frown on sellers that don't buy a table, and do the Joe Hicks From The Sticks schtick with the Dear Raffle over their shoulder. Kind of a shame, it is. The conditions that prompt a good price on such firearms (being broke) argue against someone renting a table, if given a couple seconds of thought. Maybe all those table renters who formed the gauntlet the seller successfully negotiated had such airs about them. I'm just sorry to hear the guy didn't get as far as YOUR table--I know for a fact that you operate under no such delusions.

mike in co
02-01-2011, 03:51 PM
yes i pay for tables....but
i have no issues with joe blow not paying for one to sell one or two guns.....whay i do habe issue swith are guys that will not pay for a table, show up at every show an parade 3-4-5 rifles( alternating trips to the car) thru the show at dealer plus pricing.......

luckily we only have two or three of those.

yes i wish he had made it to my table too....
as long as i'm ranting...stay away from las vegas gun shows.

the city charges dealers a fee to have the privilege to sell in thier lovely city.
the promotors charge a fortune for the tables $100 plus and this aint tulsa by a long shot.
and on and on....

mike in co

mtnman31
02-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Mike,
if you are talking about the Tanner show I went on Saturday afternoon and scored these gems.
There is a 311375 SC, 452389 DC, 31141 HP, and 452423 DC. I paid a whopping 5 bucks each. Needless to say, I was pretty happy with that purchase. As you can see from the photo, they each had a little surface rust that I have since cleaned off. Now I just need to pour a few and test them out. I was interested in a Remington Model 81 that a fellow had but talked myself out of it because right now I don't feel like starting up for a new caliber, .300 Savage. I suppose if he still has it come next show I might liberate it from him. Anyway, Tanner is one of the better shows and I try to attend whenever it is going on.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Molds.JPG

Jeff H
02-05-2011, 09:32 PM
I have seen a lot of guys pass on something just for the fact that they absolutely refused to ever pay the asking price for anything - ever, period.

Greed, pride, stupidity? I don't know, but I have spent a lot of time on both sides of the tables and there are some who get downright angry when someone won't budge on their asking price, even when it is a steal.

One thing I will give them credit for is that those who have told me they would never give asking price - didn't. Worked for me because I scored a couple decent buys that way. Now THAT really ticks 'em off. Especially when your table is the next stop.