PDA

View Full Version : speaking of 45acp's...this followed me home....

mike in co
01-30-2011, 09:20 PM
a llama minmax 45
blued slide on brushed nickle frame
3.625" bbl/ 6rd mags
i am suprised how well the grip fits my hand...little finger is right at the mag base.

mags appear to be cutdown std mags..the base plate says colt on one and nothing on what i assume is an oem mag.

various 1911 mags fit..tho a 10 rd looks kinda strange hanging out the butt.

comments ?

thanks
mike in co

Dan Cash
01-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Llama made excellent auto pistols. Too bad they are extinct.

SciFiJim
01-31-2011, 01:41 AM
comments ?

Pictures?
It's always fun to play show and tell. ;)

mike in co
01-31-2011, 02:39 AM
Pictures?
It's always fun to play show and tell. ;)

i can take them...ken or someoen will have to post them...i am mechanically inclined but not picpostinghere inclined

mike in co

littlejack
01-31-2011, 02:46 AM
Hey Mike:
I have one of those. In fact, it was my first 45 acp pistol. I bought it from my former BIL in
He needed the money, and I knew how the pistol shot, "very good".
For one of the cheap pistols, it does real well. This one, I will keep.
Jack

mike in co
01-31-2011, 02:48 AM
Hey Mike:
I have one of those. In fact, it was my first 45 acp pistol. I bought it from my former BIL in
He needed the money, and I knew how the pistol shot, "very good".
For one of the cheap pistols, it does real well. This one, I will keep.
Jack

i think it is not "cheap", rather "inexpensive"........seem like a solid well built gun.
its gonna be sub zero for the next 2 days so will not get shot for a while.

mike in co

Poygan
01-31-2011, 09:10 AM
I had a Max-1 a few years ago. Would classify it as a typical 1911. Reliable, would eat anything I fed it. accuracy was about what I would expect from a standard 1911. Bought it from the original owner with the box for $225.

littlejack
01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes Mike, I was referring to the price of the pistol.
I believe my BIL paid around 225.00 in 1999, brand new. I bought it from him in 2000 for
Jack

35remington
01-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Cannot say if the criticism is relevant because I have never owned one, but the comments I've heard criticize the Llamas for somewhat softer steels than they could have had.

Again, no firsthand experience, and the comment may be unfounded for all I know.

mike in co
02-01-2011, 01:43 AM
Cannot say if the criticism is relevant because I have never owned one, but the comments I've heard criticize the Llamas for somewhat softer steels than they could have had.

Again, no firsthand experience, and the comment may be unfounded for all I know.

me thinks they would have to be pretty soft to be abused in a 45acp......

mike in co

lead-1
02-01-2011, 02:49 AM
If it is anything like the one I had years ago you will love it. I hated to get rid of mine but I had to pay the bills. I didn't reload .45s back then but it ate all the American Eagle and Winchester USA I could feed it, a friend of mine loaded some kind of 200 grain lswc (he cast his own) and it fed them fine also.
Happy blasting.

thegreatdane
02-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Mike, was that the Pueblo gunshow?

Bret4207
02-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Llama, Astra and Star all made some great guns. They made some dogs too. If you got a decent one you'll be very happy.

mike in co
02-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Mike, was that the Pueblo gunshow?

no pueblo was two weekends back, this was tanner/denver.
this comming weekend is loveland fair grounds next to the big event center, right off 25.

mike in co

ps here is the deal with pics....

it is minus 10 outside and the camera is in the car.........so no it aint gonna happen for a while....

NVScouter
02-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I've had two Llamas and I'm glad they are no longer in business. Both 1911 copies and both stovepiped or jammed. The first one I bought used, the second new. Llama also didnt fix the second one when I got it back so I sold it.

The only thing that helped the second one was a new main spring bushing and magazine from Wilson Combat. I caught the bushing cleaning it and found to be smaller then the hole and worn out after 150 rounds.

I really hope you have better experiences.

rintinglen
02-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Mine looks great-is very reliable-and MIGHT hit a paper bag if you fired it from inside. Accurate, no it ain't. But as a PDW, at 10 yards or less, it would be adequate. Mine is the double stack 9 round version. I like my firestar better, even though it is only a .40.

littlejack
02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Mine will keep all rounds, (swc or rn) in a Copenhagen lid at 15 yards with me shootin. With good loads, there are no jams or stovepipes. I believe those two problems can be fixed easily, and do not find them objectionable for a low dollar pistol. I did have the trigger lightened, which did nothing but help my groups. I reccomended one to my neices husband a couple of years ago, who was looking for a good, low priced 45. We found a new full size Llama at a local gun show for 259.00 plus the 10.00 background check. I haven't heard anything bad from, and I told him that if he ever wanted to sell it, to call me first.
Jack

leftiye
02-03-2011, 12:14 AM
I had a full sized Llama 45 back in the seventies. It worked, shot as well as I did. I got stupid and sold it fer sum reason. I just got a Mini Max, and I'm impressed. Feels good, a little thick in the grips (I wanted it for concealed carry), kinda heavy, but thas good in an acp (eh?). Where metal hardness would be an issue would be where they batter with hot loads. Put a buffer washer under the front end of the spring. A thick o-ring with a 1/4" diameter might work until you can find a real one or summa that red polypropylene rubber that they use in truck suspensions.