PDA

View Full Version : problem with new 22 hornet cases

dangerranger
01-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Ive reloaded the hornet for awhile but always with used brass. recently I bought some new primed Rem nickel plated hornet cases. and right away I found that the necks are too tight to get my [ jacked ] bullits in without crushing the cases. do you all think I can just pull the primer pin from my Lee die and resize to expand the neck? or will I need to somehow bell the mouths?
What do you all think? DR

stubshaft
01-30-2011, 08:16 PM
If I am reading this correctly, you did not run the new brass through your sizer before loading? Did you chamfer the case mouths? Are the cases primed, hence the reason you want to pull the decapping pin?

Need a little more information to make a valid recommendation.

41magfan
01-30-2011, 08:28 PM
I always size new brass because the case mouths can and do get smashed a bit. I don't think the nickle plateing is your problem. Since this is already primed go ahead and pull the depriming stem and run them thru your sizer.

NickSS
01-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Try chamfering the case mouths first and if that does not work run the expander through them. You should always chamfer case mouths especially if you are using flat base bullets

btroj
01-30-2011, 10:56 PM
I always size and chamfer new cases for just this reason. Small amount of time to spend to prevent so many headaches.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-30-2011, 11:01 PM
I agree,
Size, chamfer...expand if needed

dangerranger
01-31-2011, 03:24 AM
to answer a few questions, yes the cases came primed, and the cases are sized from the factory too small. I can with the ejector pushed in drop the cases into the chamber without any restance. I did trim and chamfer the necks before trying to seat any bullits. looking at my sizing die Im assuming that the depriming stem will expand the neck? and I just need to pull the pin out of its end? its a Lee die. if that helps. as I said before Ive only loaded used brass before. this is a new one on me. thanks all, DR

Larry Gibson
01-31-2011, 11:28 AM
I always use the Lyman M-die to expand and slightly flair the case mouths of all my 22 Hornet cases to prevent crushing whether using cast or jacketed. I do the same with the 25-20 also.

Larry Gibson

Three44s
01-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Another M-Die devotee!!

Hornets are little stinkers from what I am told so you need to handle with kid gloves in the respect you are dealing with ..... it's just their geometry!

Good luck

Three 44s

Papa Jack
01-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Ive reloaded the hornet for awhile but always with used brass. recently I bought some new primed Rem nickel plated hornet cases. and right away I found that the necks are too tight to get my [ jacked ] bullits in without crushing the cases. do you all think I can just pull the primer pin from my Lee die and resize to expand the neck? or will I need to somehow bell the mouths?
What do you all think? DR

I also shoot the Remington Nickel plated brass in my H&R Handi-Rifle Hornet. It's a good idea to always check that Nickel plated stuff real close. I usually run my new cases thru my dies.
I was wondering.......Is your depriming pin "removeable" on the Lee dies ? I thought those were pressed in. I suppose you could pull it out.
Also check the rims on those cases, I have found several Nickel plated cases that had bad rims, they wouldn't fit the shell holder.
And watch your pressure on your loads. I know I have increased loads and gotten to a point where the plated cases would stick in the chamber a full grain or more before the unplated cases showed signs of pressure.....Just a heads up incase you haven't loaded any nickel cases....
Another thing you can do here if removing the depriming pin doesn't work... I have used a shank of a drill bit ( anything like a small rod will work ) and I insert that into the case mouth, roll it around and use it to "flair" the case mouth slightly. Might help you insert the bullets.... Good Luck...... PJ

dangerranger
02-01-2011, 02:55 AM
my best load is 9gr of 2400 under a barnes varmit grenade. it gives me just under 2700fps far below the 2900 max. Ive never used plated cases before. these will help me keep the cases from this gun seperate from my old hornet. of the 300 cases I got all seem to be under sized. I also hope the plateing doesnt crack while expanding them. I may order a Lyman M die if it will help not loosing so many to crushing. Thanks all, DR