PDA

View Full Version : Chambering a few rounds...

DeadWoodDan
01-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Got a chance to shoot a few today out of Win. 94 30-30. I had noticed when assemblying a dummy round that it chambered with a little effort. Just to confirm this i also chambered a few purchased jacketed rounds, and they went in effortlessly.

This is due to the boolit being engraved by the rifling upon chambering correct? \\

I wouldn't say it was difficult but i did notice between the two the cast took more effort.

boolits casted out of LEE GB 6cavity (C309-150-F) sized to .310/.302nose

oneokie
01-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Do you see marks on the boolit nose indicating that it engaged the rifling? If not, it could be the diameter of the neck of the loaded round is on the large size. Or you could have too heavy of a crimp.

btroj
01-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Without seeing the round in question we can't say why it happened. You may be right about engraving the nose but that would be easy to see.
Too many other things that it could be to make more than a guess.

Color a bullet in the loaded round with a marker and it will help you see the marks from the lands.

Brad

Gee_Wizz01
01-30-2011, 10:08 PM
When I run into this issue, I do the following;
1. Size a couple of pieces of brass and see if they chamber OK if they don't this is your problem.
2. Seat a bullet in an unprimed case to the length you intend. If it chamber hard, seat the bullet a little deeper and check again. If this doesn't solve the problem after the bullets seated deeply. Proceed to the next step.
3. Size the bullet .001 or .002" smaller and repeat previous step. This should solve the problem. Then go to next step.
4. Once the round chambers properly, apply the crimp (if you are using one). Try chambering the round. If it chambers hard, back off on the crimp and retry.

If you follow these steps you should find your problem.

G