PDA

View Full Version : Powders

starmac
01-30-2011, 05:24 PM
How many different powders does the average reloader keep and use.

I would like to keep different powders to a minimum and wander if most others do too.
In rifles I will be loading for these calibers'
300 savage
308 win
30/30
I would think I could get by with one powder for these, but with the 30/30 I want to play with some reduced loads, so may need two.
Handguns consist of
44m
357m
45colt
45acp
I think I could get by with two here, but will want some plinking loads with all of them.
What powders would you use to keep it down to a minimum and why.
Thanks.

Tim357
01-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Easy. IMR 3031 for the long guns, and Unique for the rest. IMR 3031 can be reduced quite a bit for the long guns, and full power loads all shine with 3031 in any of your selected cartridges. Unique can be used to load gallery type loads for long guns and short guns. It is also of a range that allows nearly full throttle loads with the 44 and 357 mags. Standard pressure 45s can be assembled with Unique as well.

btroj
01-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Too many to chose from. We all have out favorites. Many will work.
I would go with 2400 and some sort of faster psitol powder. 2400 is great with cast in almost any rifle case and would be good for heavy loads in the pistols. For lighter pistol loads you could use unique, 231, Bullseye, or any one of a dozen or more others.

Brad

NickSS
01-30-2011, 09:08 PM
For the rifles I would select either H 335 or Win 748 it works really well in all three calibers you list as for handguns and plinking loads I would opt for Unique as it works in all your listed calibers very well. Of course there is a large variety of medium speed powders for rifle loads that will work equally good in your rifles and any of them would be a good choice. I like ball powders as it meters so well and gives very consistent thrown chages in my powder measure. As for handguns there are other powders as well but none have the breath of use that Unique has in my experience.

starmac
01-30-2011, 09:26 PM
I have aquired 2 pounds of 3031 and 3 pounds of 760 unopened from an estate.
My books have loads for both of them for the rifles, Maybe I will pickup a pound of 748 to play with too before I buy bulk.

I read once that the ball powders did better in ammo stored long term, is there any truth to that or is that another wives tale.

stubshaft
01-30-2011, 10:45 PM
The problem for me was not what I usually use, but the different powders I go through to find the best load. Not to mention powders that are discontinued and loads have to be redone (PB, WC680, WSF etc.).

I have ALOT of different powders. In fact if I go to my powder storage shed there are probably at least 35 different powders, in varous quantities.

01-30-2011, 11:21 PM
"The problem for me was not what I usually use, but the different powders I go through to find the best load."

If I had to live with only two powders, other than jacketed use in rifles, Unique and 2400 would by the choices.

quilbilly
01-31-2011, 12:42 AM
I agree on the IMR 3031 and Unique.

excess650
01-31-2011, 09:14 AM
You've gotten some good suggestions. Unique would work for cast in all of the cartridges mentioned, but wouldn't be my choice for 45ACP. 2400 would also work well in all but the 45 ACP and possibly the 45 Colt, depending upon the revolver.

4895 would be a good choice for the rifle cartridges, although 4198, Reloader 7 or H322 might be better for cast.

Provided you keep the powder cool and dry (ball or extruded) it will outlast you.

wiljen
01-31-2011, 09:30 AM
See what shoots in your guns before taking any advice. Burn rate wise, something around IMR 3031 is gonna be the best bet for rifles. Pistols and reduced loads could be handled by Red dot or unique and 2400 or H110. Unique and 2400 give more flexibility for use in reduced loads but if RD and H110 shoot better, I wouldn't be buying 2400.

Three44s
01-31-2011, 11:41 AM
I go for effect (performance). I shoot lots of different guns.

I only worry about having a powder deteriorate on me before I can shoot it ......

.... but that's never happened. I think my score on this is one can of powder lost ... and it came to me when it was as old as Moses!

NONE ...... NONE of the powders that I have bought (new) have been lost ..... each and everyone went to heaven empty.

If I have different powders to work with ..... I have more time to load rather than to run to the store and buy something different!

Three 44s

starmac
01-31-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't mind going through several different powders to find what I want to use, I just would like to wind up with no more than 2 for rifles and 2 for handguns. I think those that have been mentioned will work well to get me started. My books list unique for all weights, jacketed or cast in the 45acp, but I see excess doesn't like it for the 45 auto. What is the reason for this can you elaborate.

excess650
01-31-2011, 10:14 PM
I think Unique to be on the slow side for a 1911 variety auto. My preference would be for a quicker burning powder so that pressure is dissipated prior to the barrel unlocking from the slide. If you're shooting 230gr and not shooting thousands of rounds, it'll be fine. If you're shooting 200gr and lighter exclusively, a quicker powder would be better, IMO. If this is a revolver, its a non issue.

Unique and 2400 will both work in all of your rifle cartridges for light and moderate loads, so they're a slam dunk for versatility. Pick a powder or two for more performance in your rifle cartridges and you're set.

btroj
02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
The problems with these " what two or three powder " threads is the fact that no two or three powders are ideal for anything. It will work if you are willing to compromise. I am not.
If you want a powder for full loads in 30-30, then buy a powder for that. If you want a good powder for 45 ACP then buy one.
Asking one or two powders to be ideal for a large range of cartridges or load levels is dumb. There are so many powders out there because they each have a niche. Each powder is ideal in a certain set of circumstances, get outside that range at it is not very good.
Loom at your needs, go thru the load manuals, then buy powder. Chances are you will soon be like most of us, sitting on 10 to 15, or more, different powders.

Brad

starmac
02-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I know guys that have used 1 or 2 powders for 40 years. I am not a br shooter, but instead after minute of animal or just plinking. I have no doubt I can settle on 2 powders for rifles and two for handguns, unless I change up some calibers, which is possible.

Moonie
02-01-2011, 04:14 PM
For me it would be Unique for pistols and low velocity rifle, H4895 for rifles. H4895 can be reduced to 60% of max with no issues according to Hodgdon, I use it for all my higher velocity rifle boolits (above the Unique loads).

I disagree about Unique and the 45acp, I've used it for 20 years in the 45acp and have had no issues.

peerlesscowboy
02-03-2011, 01:34 AM
748 & Unique

HighHook
02-03-2011, 05:20 AM
I will say three powders for comfort. Unique, 2400 and 3031....

Rocky Raab
02-03-2011, 12:00 PM
My situation is drastically different, of course. When I write a reloading article, I have to report loads using five to ten powders - sometimes even more. So my powder locker has over 60 different kinds of powder in it - and I recently trimmed that back by a dozen!

Could I get by with three or four? Nope. I'm spoiled.

Smoke-um if you got-um
02-03-2011, 01:06 PM
H4895 or IMR 4895 and Unique.

azrednek
02-03-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm with the 748 and Unique guys but it almost seems sac-religious not to have at least one can of Bullseye on the shelf.

I used to be a big fan of IMR-3031 until I was persuaded to try 748. Two shooting friends that have the means to afford legal full autos swear by 748 as being the most consistent metering powder and is ideal for everything in the 223-308 range.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Not ment to upset anyone, but------------------------------------------

Yes, if push came to shove, there would be a limited number of powders I would want on hand. I know that although possibly not optimum for my rifle or handgun, they will put meat on the table or put the hurt on a bad guy.

It is just like a couple years back I ordered a bunch of Hornady interlock "J" bullets to have in a push come to shove situation. I know that while a good product, they are not in a class with the quality of "J" bullets I prefer. BUT----------------

If on the other hand, I desire to find the best groups and velocity for one of my rifles, AND I DO!!, as good as IMR or H 4831 is, and I have a bunch of it, it may not be optimum.

That is why I also have some amount of R22, IMR7828, IMR 4350 and others also on hand as only through testing can the best combination be found for my firearm.

I have gone through about 6 powders on my current test series with my RUGER #1, 45/70 and have at least one more powder, H322, to test along with possibily redoing some of the earier tests.

I can take my Clark Custom RUGER 77/22 to the range and have a great day shooting with most any brand/type of .22 ammo out there, but if I desire the rifle to shoot up to the level it is made for, I just may need to test many different brands/types to find the one which is best.

So, all the above to say this, we each have different goals as per the quality/grouping/velocity levels we desire for our reloads.

However, unless you have lessor expectations for your end results OR are very lucky, have only been reloading for a short time, or sell/give away currently unused powders, you will have a good number more then a couple on hand in some quality.

I started loading in the 60s, and just a quick count indicates I have at least 26 different powders on hand. A bunch of some kinds and a very limited amount of others.

I load for shotgun, handguns, and rifles, everything from reduced rifle loads and low velocity handgun rounds to heavy shotgun/handgun and high velocity rifle rounds (4000fps with a 55gr in a 243) and it ain't go'in to happen with 2 or 3 powders.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Mavrick
02-03-2011, 05:16 PM
I test as many different powders, primers, and bullets (or boolits) as possible, so that others don't have to. I can afford it, and I 'need' another excuse to shoot. lol.
Besides...I believe everyone has a right to my opinion.
I believe that, with your examples, IMR 3031 would be an excellent powder for the rifles @ full power, but I also think that IMR 4064 would be better. I am operating on the assumption that the .300 and .308 are bolt-guns. There are a lot of different powders because there are several companies working for your dollar, therefore, WW748 and WW760, ball powders, are as good, and meter easier, if that's important.
In the 'coolish' Interior of Alaska, I'd think about a double-base powder for use during the winter. When I started reloading, the powder I chose after IMR 3031 was HiVel#2, but now Alliant Rx#15 takes it's place. Rx#19 is also a decent choice.
I've ALWAYS got Unique on my bench, and have used a ton in .45ACP, but I have been using International Clays lately. Here, I presume you're using an M1911, or something similar. Alliant 2400 will work fine as a hot load for the bigger guns and I.Clays will still work for mid-range ammo. Both will work fine when you try cast in the rifles. I.Clays measures great, too... better than Unique. As an alternative, AA#5 or AA#7 will throw just fine, and give the same ballistics.
Most of the problem comes to YOU because of the difficulty of logistics. When I lived in Alaska, it was hard, or slow to get supplies. I would look around town to see what's available, then get large containers. If you got with others to get a group-buy and split hazmat and freight, you can choose from a larger selection.
I haven't even mentioned Ramshot, who also markets a large selection of excellent powders. Hodgdon also has their own brand with a great selection.
Accuracy is based more on the firearm, and the care of the reloader, so you need to base your choice on other factors.
Have fun,
Gene

starmac
02-03-2011, 05:55 PM
I guess I should have said just so it would be clear.
300 savage M99 lever my go to gun is carried most and is my main tool.
308 is the only bolt gun except for a 22.
30/30 M94 carry a little but mainly is just fun to shoot.

44 mag is a virginia dragoon mainly for bear protection when not carrying a rifle, but also shoot for fun.
45 acp ruger P90 basically for personal protection, and fun to play with.
45 colt ruger vaquero (old) son in laws , same uses as 44 mag.
357 SW is my daughters, same use as my P90

Probably my second most used is a 54 caliber muzzle loader.
Undoubtedly the most shot are a variety of 22 rimfires both small game and plinking.
They are basically tools to me, but I do get a lot of enjoyment just shooting.
I am not a benchrest type shooter, nor the type to spend a lot of time at the range.
All of my shots are 150 yards or less at game anything farther than that is at targets and not a lot even then.
I am also not one that will be changing powders looking for one hole accuracy, something I know I am not capable of and doubt my guns are either, but they are all as or more capable than I am.
When I find powders that performs as good as I can I am not the type to try new ones to try to shoot 1/4 moa better. Everyone gets their enjoyment out of their guns in different ways.
So for me I think I will be able to settle on two powders each that will perform to my expectation, and have no need for 25 different powders, I hope anyway.

btroj
02-03-2011, 08:28 PM
For the rifles you mention I would try RE 15.
The handguns become a bigger problem. I would suggest 2 powders to do what you want. Something like 2400 for the 44 mag and 45 Colt with heavy loads and maybe 231 or something like that for laughter loads in the maggies or in the 45 ACP.
Can you get by on a few powders. Yes. But understand that many of us here are die hard testers and experimenters. We are never satisfied with anything. Ever.

For the rifles this 1 powder also tends to reduce the ability to use it for cast and jacketed. Powders that are good for cast may not, and likely are not, best for jacketed.

Limiting your powder selections also limits what you can expect your guns to do well. All compromises are just that, a compromise. Most of us here just don't compromise well when it comes to shooting.

Brad

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
btroj,

WELL SAID!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

starmac
02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
btroj I understand comepletly, I am just the kind that when I find something that works I tend to not look farther and when I find what is suitable I want to lay in a big stock of it.

I also should have been clear about what kind of pills, That will be cast for sure for the 30/30 and likely for the 308, the 300 I will probably stay with J words. All the hand guns will likely be cast.

My lymun 45 claims 748 turned out best in the 300 so I will be picking up some of it. I have on hand 760 and 3031 and some h380.

For the handguns it sounds like unique and 2400 are very popular so I may try these first. I will be wanting some light loads as well as full house loads for the hand guns and the 30/30. Thanks everybody.

Another thing is where are you guys getting loads for big boolits in the 44's and 45's all my books stop at around 255 grains.

btroj
02-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Did you look at hodgdons website? Also look at back issues of Handloader magazine, lots of good data there.
Data is all over this site too, use the search function.

starmac
02-03-2011, 10:38 PM
I have seen some on here, I have actually read all the way back through most of the forums. I will admit I haven't looked at hogdons site for loads. My lyman books have more cast than the others, they just don't have anything on big pistol bullets.