PDA

View Full Version : leaking 450

Iowa Fox
01-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I have a 450 that is starting to leak pretty good from the base with soft lube. Just how difficult is it to change the oring on the base plate as I have never had to change one. Can you change them without melting the lube out of the casting, as in a long punch threw the lube. Just how hard are the bases staked in. Is a new oring a fix or would I be better of just making a gasket for the bottom of the casting.
Thanks Guys

sturf
01-30-2011, 06:08 PM
You might try loosening the two hold down bolts; putting a dime under the reservoir ( yes I had to look it up ) and tightening the bolts back. It worked for mine. Hasn't leaked in 20 years.

GP100man
01-30-2011, 06:47 PM
I just loosened up the bolts & slid a peice of cardboard undermeath ,then titened it back down & trimmed excess, the last 450 I cut a rubber gasket from a bicycle tube before mounting it , both are leak free .

6bg6ga
01-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi to a fellow Iowan. My 450 leaked when I got it about 25+ years ago. I disassembled it and installed a new O=ring in the bottom and it was still good when I sold it a while back. Its any easy process to change it. Use the lube and then remove the center threaded portion and install the o- ring.

sdelam
01-31-2011, 07:36 PM
I just did it, wasnt bad at all. You dont have to clean all the lube, just make sure the area around bottom is clean before installing the new seal and restaking the plug.