PDA

View Full Version : First Deer of the year w/Cast

Possum
11-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Shot a doe the other night with my TC 44 12" barrel and a 240gr GC Lee. I called her down a road from around 100yards away and put a frontal shot on her at 35yards.

Wow, that was the first deer I have shot from the front. The bullet barely missed her shoulder and angled in about the first rib. It went straight through, came out underneath, broke her back leg, and then proceeded to go to China. Last seen arching over the Great Wall.

She laid down about 15yds away and that was it. Those bullets are flat tough. I wish I could have recovered it, but considering the hole size I would say it never expanded. I have never recovered a cast bullet from a deer - only a jacketed.

Now on to the hog population armed with the 44 and a good supply of lead.

felix
11-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Possum, you better hope those hogs are not armed with 44's and a bunch of lead ready to go. I've seen a movie where a deer attacked an attacker! I'd hate to see gunsmoke coming out of a den of hogs, especially Arkansas razorbacks. ... felix

ammohead
11-09-2006, 12:09 AM
I've seen a movie where a deer attacked an attacker!

Felix,

about 5 years ago a friend of mine was slitting the throat of a mule deer when the deer lunged and gored him. Not too awful bad, but he made the mistake of not having it looked at right away. By the time he did decide to seek medical attention it was too late and he died of infection. Weird.

ammohead

Topper
11-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Congrats on your first cast boolit harvest;)