PDA

View Full Version : Foundry Type value?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-30-2011, 01:00 PM
A reloading buddy of mine has come into an opportunity to buy a quantity of foundry type. He was wanting to know what the value is. The man he is buying it from does not know, but has a scale he can weigh the type on. I told him I didn't know when he asked me, but I knew some people who probably would.

Does anybody know what a cash value per pound would be for foundry type?

Thank you,

Dave

canyon-ghost
01-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Foundry type can go as high as $2 per pound. If you can get it anywhere in between that and the usual $1/lb for wheelweight, it's a good deal (to some).

That's loosely just the range of price to think about.
Ron

white eagle
01-30-2011, 01:33 PM
is the composition know ?
if so the more value than some unknown batch of w/w
imho

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-30-2011, 03:46 PM
The composition is not know, but it's very large type and fits the description for foundry type. The man he's getting it from is in the business of repairing printing and related machinery, so it's a reasonable assumption it's foundry type.

lwknight
01-30-2011, 07:05 PM
The materials in linotype will cost you about $2.50 per pound so even at $2.00 to take a chance on foundry or monotype you can't likely get hurt much.

It all brings the same as lead at the scrapyard which is under $1.00 per pound.

thegreatdane
01-31-2011, 12:51 AM
Why not offer the market price of lead and see where that goes?

ReloaderEd
01-31-2011, 02:17 AM
I just purchased 42 lbs of lynotype metal and it is running right at 22 bhn hardness. Good for rifle bullets with gas checks.
Paid $51 bucks with free shipping. Dag gum lead and alloys are getting to expensive and national Lead is closed. What now guys.

badbob454
01-31-2011, 03:18 AM
A reloading buddy of mine has come into an opportunity to buy a quantity of foundry type. He was wanting to know what the value is. The man he is buying it from does not know, but has a scale he can weigh the type on. I told him I didn't know when he asked me, but I knew some people who probably would.

Does anybody know what a cash value per pound would be for foundry type?

Thank you,

Dave

i believe foundry type to be worth more than linotype as its elements are better for comparison see chart (from wickapedia )Type metal compositions Alloy type Tin Antimony Lead Comments
Slugcasting alloy 3% 11% 86% Ludlow/Intertype/Linotype composition for limited use and for making stereos
Eutectic alloy 4% 12% 84% Often used on slug casters and for Monotype/Elrod spacing material
Stereotype alloy 7% 15% 78% More durable intended for long print runs and curved printing plates
Monotype alloy 10% 16% 74% Most durable machine set intended to be remelted, sometimes hand set
Foundry type alloy 18% 28% 54% Traditional loose hand set type, may contain some copper
the first no. is tin second antimony and third no. is lead by %...note some extra hard foundry type may be zinc

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Well, finally picked this stuff up this past weekend. Got it for less than a buck a pound. Lots of it formed into large print letters, some in big chunks and some other stuff in strips. My portion was about a 3 gallon bucket full. Not sure how far that'll go, but am pretty happy with the purchase

whd45
08-19-2011, 11:53 AM
A guy just gave me four bars of linotype that weigh over 20 lbs each. He didn't know what he had and didn't want it. I got a good deal.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-19-2011, 05:41 PM
:cbpour:You stole it.:drinks:

Echo
08-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Well, finally picked this stuff up this past weekend. Got it for less than a buck a pound. Lots of it formed into large print letters, some in big chunks and some other stuff in strips. My portion was about a 3 gallon bucket full. Not sure how far that'll go, but am pretty happy with the purchase

I would mix it with base metal (range scrap, Ww's, whatever) at a ratio of 8-10 to one part foundry, plus a touch of tin to bring it up to 2%. Monotype is linotype on steroids, and foundry type is mono on steroids. I use 5 lbs of mono to 35 pounds of base, and add 6 oz of tin. Dang good alloy.

A 3-gallon bucket full will make a LOT of good alloy.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Echo, Thanks for that information. I was planning on casting for a nice new Lee Enfield I just picked up and a 1903A3. That information you just provided is going to make it easy, because I have a couple smelting molds that cast at 3 pounds each. I can use that that mold to get the ratio you're talking about pretty easily.:castmine:

Charlie Two Tracks
08-23-2011, 08:48 PM
I have about 45 lbs. of Foundry type. I smelted it into small ingots. If I had it to do over again, I would have left it in its original state. Down the line, you may want to trade some and it is easier to handle and be verified in its original letter state. IMO

Echo
08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I have about 45 lbs. of Foundry type. I smelted it into small ingots. If I had it to do over again, I would have left it in its original state. Down the line, you may want to trade some and it is easier to handle and be verified in its original letter state. IMO

I like to leave my type metal in original state, until I alloy it with base metal. That way I'm unlikely to have un-documented ingots lying around.

lwknight
08-27-2011, 12:43 AM
It will cost you about $5.00 per pound to make foundry type from its constituate elements.

Foundry type is a really nice alloy. Add 1 foundry to 10 leads to get a real nice semi-hard boolit.