PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 525 slug,how much weight variance?

jmsj
01-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Good morning guys,
I just bought a Lyman 525 gr. slug mold from a fellow member here. Yesterday I cast up about 100 of these out of WW. Weights of the slugs that made it past a visual inspection (no visible voids, wrinkles or poorly formed skirts), weighed between 515.0 gr and 521.3. Most were 515.0 gr and 517.7 gr.
I will be shooting these from a Rem. 870, 20" smooth bore barrel w/ rifle sights. I did a search and did not find a reference to weight sorting and accuracy. Do you guys sort this type of slug by weight and if so how much variance do you allow?
Also do you slug loaders prefer 2 3/4" hulls or 3" hulls? I know that my smoothbore barrel will not be as accurate as a rifled barrel but would like to get it as accurate as possible and still be able shoot shot loads w/o changing barrels.
I am new to slug loading and still trying to figure this stuff out.
Thanks, jmsj

southpaw
01-30-2011, 12:30 PM
You will see no differance in accuarracy by sorting them as you did. No offence. The gun is only going to be so accurrate. If we were talking about a gun that would hold 1 moa and was being shot at long range then the few grains differance might be enough to make a differrance.

I sort mine by visual inspection only.

Jerry Jr.

SuperBlazingSabots
01-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Hello Jmsj, once the mold gets hot enough you should get them within +_ 2 grains and then
sort them the ones that look ok and use them for loading and redo the ones that are off!
This way you can get better accuracy from them!
Be sure to put a hard nitro card below the slug in wad of 16 or 20 gauge based on the wad you use.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/Lyman525inwads.jpg
Use 50 to 60 lbs wad pressure and then a tight roll crimp.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/44grBlueDotLyman525.jpg
Hope it helps.
Ajay Madan
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

squirrelnuttz
02-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Or you could use the data from the Lyman shotshell manual, and fold crimp as recommended.....I get about a five grain variance, average being 516 gr. with the purest lead I can find. I weight sort to plus or minus 2 grains, in a fully rifled pipe, iron sights, 12g. Rem 870. I save the ones that are a little out by weight for plinking practice.I get cloverleaf 3 shot groups at 50 yards, and save the most consistent weight slugs for hunting ammo.I use blue dot loads reduced 5% from max, with WAA12R wads, Win. 209 primer, and Federal trap hulls.And I like it.