PDA

View Full Version : LEE furnace got wet,now doesn't work

PAT303
01-30-2011, 04:25 AM
My lee 10lbt pot got quite wet and now trips the switch.I took it apart and gave it a clean and it's in very good nick but there is no obvious problem,no loose wires or anything touching or any sign of corrosion or damage. Pat

Charlie Two Tracks
01-30-2011, 06:55 AM
I would think that the rheostat or switch is the culprit. That would take awhile to dry out or it could be shorted out. Just a guess from here.

MtGun44
01-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Open up and see if you can drag a piece of 600 grit wet or dry between the controller points,
that is likely the corroded point and cause of the problems. I don't know if you have access
when you open the box, but probably do.

Bill

jsizemore
01-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Pat,
I saw the news about all the flooding in Queensland. If that's your home, I hope you didn't lose the farm.
If you can get to the innards, you might try blowing everything out with compressed air and then leave it out in the sun or in front of a fan. It might take a couple of days to dry.
Does it trip the breaker as soon as you plug it in or does it take a while?

koehlerrk
01-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Pat, here's an idea, but it's a long shot. Check the plug on the end of the cord. I know most are molded-on nowdays, but some have seams that could let water in and cause a short there.

Also, have you tried plugging it into an outlet on a differant breaker?

Otherwise it's most likely the thermostat / relay.

Rick

zuke
01-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Put it in the car for a day with the window's rolled up,dashboard in the sun would be best.