PDA

View Full Version : Lee 429-214SW?

ScottJ
01-30-2011, 12:47 AM
I didn't think there was any such thing as a Lee hollowpoint. But I'm seeing one on eBay. Really interesting design.

Anyone have any experience using them?

happy7
01-30-2011, 12:53 AM
I have several. The work very well, much better/faster imho than the lyman pin system. They are all discontinued by the way. Oh, and if you want one off ebay, by prepared to get your wallet out. $40 + is normal.

ScottJ
01-30-2011, 01:03 AM
. Oh, and if you want one off ebay, by prepared to get your wallet out. $40 + is normal.

Yeah, this one is $46 with 2 days to go.

mooman76
01-30-2011, 01:09 AM
I got lucky and picked up a couple. I wish they still made them.

stubshaft
01-30-2011, 02:46 AM
$40.00 was last years price on flea bay. I was watching a SC 225438 sell for $128.00 and a new 22 Bator going for $52.00. It's getting harder to find a deal there.

But, not to hijack the thread the Lee HP mould was/is easy to use.

happy7
01-30-2011, 10:31 AM
$40.00 was last years price on flea bay.

True, I haven't followed their prices as closely since mihec started putting out the multicavity cramers. I was trying to get the complete collection of 38, 44, and 45 lee hollowpoints. I think I have all but one of them, but eventually lost interest once I had used the cramers for awhile. I found I never used the lees anymore. IMO, the lee system is every bit as user friendly as the cramer, but as a single cavity, it can't compete with the multicavity cramers.

A few years ago, I was only giving $20 or $25 for these molds.

Ohio Rusty
01-30-2011, 03:20 PM
The days of $25 hollow points are long over ... it's like wishing for 99 cents gasoline again. I've watched HP moulds go for prices close to $100 on ebay.
If you want HP moulds, be prepared to dig deep into the pocket. Modern HP moulds are going for $100, so expect to pay the same .... I think in a few years, the $100 will be the low price for HP moulds ....

Ohio Rusty ><>

Sully
01-30-2011, 03:55 PM
The days of $25 hollow points are long over ... it's like wishing for 99 cents gasoline again. I've watched HP moulds go for prices close to $100 on ebay.
If you want HP moulds, be prepared to dig deep into the pocket. Modern HP moulds are going for $100, so expect to pay the same .... I think in a few years, the $100 will be the low price for HP moulds ....

Ohio Rusty ><>

Hmmm..? Guess Id better get one ordered before long then...

Ohio Rusty
01-30-2011, 04:29 PM
These HP's are long discontinued ...and like anything else, as they become harder to come across the price will go up, guaranteed ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

Rangefinder
01-31-2011, 11:24 AM
I've found it's easier and cheaper to just pick out whatever Lee mold fits my purpose and do a HP job on one cavity myself. There are many who will tell you that HP'ing a Lee standard mold can't be done because of the alignment pins. But I've done it several times--have a wonderful .357 SWC in the 144gr range as a result of "tinkering".

theperfessor
01-31-2011, 12:56 PM
I have three Lee HP molds, the .44 214 gr cited by the OP, a .358 158 gr SWC. and a .45 190 gr. The first two are OK although I don't use them much. I don't hunt anymore and they're single cavity molds and I have plenty of multi-cavity molds in both calibers that work as well or better. The .45 is a SWC with a short nose and doesn't expand at all using my alloy at .45 ACP speeds, and it doesn't feed very well in my stock Colt 1911s.

theperfessor
01-31-2011, 10:46 PM
I have received several pms inquiring about buying one or more of the molds I mentioned. I am not planning on selling them at this point, but if and when I do sell them it will be here via auction so all the members can have the opportunity to bid on them. I WILL NOT sell them on Ebay as I want them to go to someone who contributes to the discussions and good character of this site.

bigjake
02-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Why does anyone need lead hollow point bullets? If you hunt deer with a pistol why not use the best copper jacketed HP's you can get and work up a great load? Its not like you would need to buy a lot of them, maybe 100 tops.
I thought the reason we cast boolits is for practice, plinking, cost savings and just for fun.

ScottJ
02-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Why does anyone need lead hollow point bullets? If you hunt deer with a pistol why not use the best copper jacketed HP's you can get and work up a great load? Its not like you would need to buy a lot of them, maybe 100 tops.
I thought the reason we cast boolits is for practice, plinking, cost savings and just for fun.

Well, lemme don my tinfoil hat and tell you.

I figure the gun grabbers are going to figure out some way to exponentially raise the cost of ammo at some point (as if it weren't bad enought already). Just look at what the EPA is doing with lead.

Even the components to lay in a good supply of self-defense hollowpoints is huge compared to the cost of casting my own.

But what happens if hollow points are banned for retail sale (LEO only)? Or taxed into oblivion?

Likely will never happen but I'd rather have my molds and my technique perfected before hand.

MT Gianni
02-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Controlled expansion for your alloy and velocity is one reason. Varmit hunting, nose weight reduction to move the center of gravity back [reducing yaw], long range stability and the knowledge that you can make what you need are all reasons people shoot HP's.

theperfessor
02-01-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't hunt any more (mobility problems) but I would imagine that a lot of folks like to hunt with their own cast bullets simply for the pride and satisfaction in doing so.

happy7
02-02-2011, 06:15 PM

Well, I can tell you that my cast hollowpoint blows up a water jug a whole lot better than a solid does.

bigjake
02-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Well, lemme don my tinfoil hat and tell you.

I figure the gun grabbers are going to figure out some way to exponentially raise the cost of ammo at some point (as if it weren't bad enought already). Just look at what the EPA is doing with lead.

Even the components to lay in a good supply of self-defense hollowpoints is huge compared to the cost of casting my own.

But what happens if hollow points are banned for retail sale (LEO only)? Or taxed into oblivion?

Likely will never happen but I'd rather have my molds and my technique perfected before hand.

Good reason. I guess I never thought about it that way.

Swede44mag
02-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah, this one is $46 with 2 days to go.

Have you thought of using a center drill on already loaded ammo? They used to make one just for hollow pointing loaded ammo. Can't remember the name of the company.

MT Gianni
02-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Have you thought of using a center drill on already loaded ammo? They used to make one just for hollow pointing loaded ammo. Can't remember the name of the company.

JiminAZ made a good one for sale in the Vendor sponsers section.