PDA

View Full Version : A little playing w/ alloy

Rangefinder
01-29-2011, 07:17 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/hillsjim/DSCF4494.jpg

So there I was, minding my own business, thinking about ballistics, penetration, expansion, etc... :D I've been playing with my BP and muzzle-stuffers a bit more again, and was curious as to the penetration and expansion factors on my 1851 Navy. So in true red-neck fashion, I headed out to the shop to "find out". Catch medium was dry phone books--dry because I wanted to see how the RB reacted--not what it did to the target. Cast three .451 balls. The one on the left is dead-soft, middle is dead-soft sweetened with a touch of tin only, the right is straight WW alloy. The charge was a mild 18gr. FFFg at a range of about 10 feet. Dead soft penetrated aprox. 1" before flattening and flowing into the page cracks. Tin added reached about 1 3/4" with less but visible flow into the page cracks. WW alloy took a little scuff on the nose and punched just shy of all the way through the first book at 2 1/2". Had I not had several books stacked to offer more resistance, the WW would have kept going.

Now for comparison I popped a few from a couple center-fires that I cast for. Back right is 93gr 32ACP from WW. It reached 2 1/2" with a little dent in the book behind it. Middle back is .40S&W 180gr. from WW. It reached apr. 4" with split pages in the dent at 5". Back left, just for fun is my .40S&W HD load--It's jacketed, modified HP, and I'm gonna leave it at that. It penetrated just over an inch to 1 1/2", and opened up to.912 across the widest point and retained 80% mass intact, and left a shredded crater to the back of the first book at 3" (it reacts a little different in soft tissue tests, but this was fun and interesting anyway).

This is what happens when I get a little bored and have a little time to kill... :D

fredj338
01-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Dry paper is really a poor medium for checking bullet performance. It's a hard surface, not condusive to expanding but breaking a bullet up. Wetpack offers a little give & allows the bullet to perform more like what happens in flesh or ballistic gel. Better than dry paper for sure or even water IME. Try soaking the paper next time when you are bored.;-)

Rangefinder
01-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Notice the heading/title-------A little playing w/ alloy, not playing with bullet performance. If I wanted to judge bullet performance, yes--a wet pack or gel pack is great. I was playing with the toughness and durability of the alloys against semi-rigid material to see how it reacted differently. ;)

Matt_G
01-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Rangefinder, thanks for getting bored and taking the time to do the pics and the post.
I never would have thought the straight WW round ball would look that good. That's interesting...