PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Block Question

cooterdog
01-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Ok so I have been told a Rolling Block is the easiest to clean when shooting Black Powder. Are there any pro's and con's to the rolling block makers. Should I aim for a 45-90 vs 45-70? The one I buy will be for target shooting and hunting. Any sugestions would be great.

nitroproof
01-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Hi Rob,
There are a lot of choices when it come to Rolling Blocks. My .45/70 Reminton started life as Guatamalan contract .43 Spanish, I had it relined to .45/70 and restocked it myself.

Your choices are:
Rifles built on original #1 & #5 Remington military actions. There are always guns for sale.
Original Remington sporting rifles if $$$ no object.
Lone Star Rolling Blocks - you order exactly what you want.
Uberti and other Italian imports.
My roller is light enough to carry at 9.5#, many target rifles weigh in the 14+ range. The Uberti Rolling Block Hunter Carbine weighs 4.5 pounds, a delight to carry but I would not want to shoot it off the bench!

I would go .45/70 because it will do all your target and hunting needs with ease.

That's just my two cents...

Kraschenbirn
01-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Just my observation, but I doubt if you could load a 45-90 into my Pedersoli RB without a bit of modification to the hammer nose. I've noticed, when loaded with long, heavy boolits, the rim of a 45-70 will drag on the upper edge of the hammer face as it's chambered. Not at all certain that a 45-90 would get past it.

Bill

01-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Sharps- I'd get a Mt. gun
RB- I'd get a Lone Star
My choice would be a LS 45-70 with 18" twist bore, medium to medium heavy 26-28" barrel, shotgun butt.

Other makes, models, calibers, history of action, pieced together parts, barrels, barrel weights, twist rates, country of original, cost, etc. your choice :)

montana_charlie
01-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Pedersoli offers some of their rolling block models in 45/90.
Pedersoli produces match quality barrels.

If 'easiness' of cleaning is important to you, I must say that nothing field strips easier than an 1874 Sharps.
I have never disassembled a rolling block.

CM

cooterdog
01-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Pedersoli offers some of their rolling block models in 45/90.
Pedersoli produces match quality barrels.

If 'easiness' of cleaning is important to you, I must say that nothing field strips easier than an 1874 Sharps.
I have never disassembled a rolling block.

CM

I have heard Sharps strip easy enough. Never had the plesure to shoot one.

cooterdog
01-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi Rob,
There are a lot of choices when it come to Rolling Blocks. My .45/70 Reminton started life as Guatamalan contract .43 Spanish, I had it relined to .45/70 and restocked it myself.

Your choices are:
Rifles built on original #1 & #5 Remington military actions. There are always guns for sale.
Original Remington sporting rifles if $$$ no object.
Lone Star Rolling Blocks - you order exactly what you want.
Uberti and other Italian imports.
My roller is light enough to carry at 9.5#, many target rifles weigh in the 14+ range. The Uberti Rolling Block Hunter Carbine weighs 4.5 pounds, a delight to carry but I would not want to shoot it off the bench!

I would go .45/70 because it will do all your target and hunting needs with ease.

That's just my two cents...

Being in Canada makes it tough to get a good gunsmith. I have seen a few .43 spanish mod's they are pretty sweet. I dont mind carrying 12lbs as I just walk a few miles to sit on a stump/base of tree. my old 30-06 weighs 8-9 I can get an import through a broker/importer. Or maybe settle on Uberti or Pedersoli. Pedersoli makes some nice RB's, not sure of Uberti's.

cooterdog
01-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Just my observation, but I doubt if you could load a 45-90 into my Pedersoli RB without a bit of modification to the hammer nose. I've noticed, when loaded with long, heavy boolits, the rim of a 45-70 will drag on the upper edge of the hammer face as it's chambered. Not at all certain that a 45-90 would get past it.

Bill

I'll have to keep that in mind!

missionary5155
01-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Howdy
If you are not looking to shoot past 500 yards a 45-70 with BP is plenty. The 45-90 is the long range version and if you were looking at 1000+ yards I would go the 45 120.
The Rolling Block action is EASY to clean. Cock the hammer, open the breach block and start to clean. Dissasembly.. remove the rear stock. Remove the left side retainer screw. Cock the hammer & remove the breach block pin. Uncock the hammer and remove the hammer pin.
That is all you need to do. Many armies used the Roller system because it was so easy to maintain and clean. Near fool proof and hard to break.

cooterdog
01-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Howdy
If you are not looking to shoot past 500 yards a 45-70 with BP is plenty. The 45-90 is the long range version and if you were looking at 1000+ yards I would go the 45 120.
The Rolling Block action is EASY to clean. Cock the hammer, open the breach block and start to clean. Dissasembly.. remove the rear stock. Remove the left side retainer screw. Cock the hammer & remove the breach block pin. Uncock the hammer and remove the hammer pin.
That is all you need to do. Many armies used the Roller system because it was so easy to maintain and clean. Near fool proof and hard to break.

Our range is set up for 200 but we do have a 1000 not far away. Going to be tough decision as there really is only the Pedersoli I can get around here. I have emailed a few stores to see who can get what!

cooterdog
01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
I have been looking at the ROLLING BLOCK JOHN BODINE 34" octagon in either 45-70 or 45-90 even thats only 16 to 1700 in canada.

leadman
01-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Brass for the 45-90 is almost double than the 45-70 brass. Recoil could be another factor. Like others said if you want really long range the 45-90 might be what you need.

I have a Pedersoli RB in 40-65 and love it. If you need the power you can get 1,400fps with a 400gr boolit. I enjoy about 1,300 fps much more.
The 40-65 is .410" bore so I can shoot 41 caliber pistol boolits also for plinking and low recoil.

cooterdog
01-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Brass for the 45-90 is almost double than the 45-70 brass. Recoil could be another factor. Like others said if you want really long range the 45-90 might be what you need.

I have a Pedersoli RB in 40-65 and love it. If you need the power you can get 1,400fps with a 400gr boolit. I enjoy about 1,300 fps much more.
The 40-65 is .410" bore so I can shoot 41 caliber pistol boolits also for plinking and low recoil.

I think I'll stick with the 45-70 as I have 300 405gr given to me as well as 3 pack Lyman dies.Now comes the model choices lol

NickSS
01-29-2011, 11:34 PM
I own one Pedersoli rolling block and have owned a couple of others. They are fine rifles and shoot good too. There are a couple of things to consider when deciding an what you want. As you state that you want a rifle for hunting and target shooting you will want one with a 30 inch barrel. Longer barrels are OK for target ranges but for hunting they get in the way and make the gun really muzzle heavy for fast shots. As for a cartridge get the 45-70 as it will work at all ranges up to 1200 yards as I have shot them at that range with perfect satisfaction. It is also good for economic reasons as the brass is easy to come by and relatively cheap. As for bullets your selection of 300 and 405 gr bullets are good for hunting and taget shooting at shorter ranges but the 300 starts loosing out after 200 yards and the 405 becomes less competitive after around 400 yards. For longer ranges you need like a 500 gr+ bullet. One other thing to consider about long range target shooting is wind drift. You actually get more drift at higher velocities than at lower velocities sp there is little to be gained by velocities greater than around 1200 fps at the muzzle until you get well over around 1700 fps.

cooterdog
01-30-2011, 10:10 AM
I own one Pedersoli rolling block and have owned a couple of others. They are fine rifles and shoot good too. There are a couple of things to consider when deciding an what you want. As you state that you want a rifle for hunting and target shooting you will want one with a 30 inch barrel. Longer barrels are OK for target ranges but for hunting they get in the way and make the gun really muzzle heavy for fast shots. As for a cartridge get the 45-70 as it will work at all ranges up to 1200 yards as I have shot them at that range with perfect satisfaction. It is also good for economic reasons as the brass is easy to come by and relatively cheap. As for bullets your selection of 300 and 405 gr bullets are good for hunting and taget shooting at shorter ranges but the 300 starts loosing out after 200 yards and the 405 becomes less competitive after around 400 yards. For longer ranges you need like a 500 gr+ bullet. One other thing to consider about long range target shooting is wind drift. You actually get more drift at higher velocities than at lower velocities sp there is little to be gained by velocities greater than around 1200 fps at the muzzle until you get well over around 1700 fps.

I'm looking at the Pedersoli Billy Dixon or Creedmoor 30" two trigger in 45-70. I have started collecting supplies for 45-70 plus I have a 405gr mould and hope to get anouther in a 500+gr. The local store has 405gr smokeless remingtons and some other grains in different brands. I wanted black powder loads but will have to roll my own. New Brass is $70/100 CAD.

montana_charlie
01-30-2011, 02:12 PM
I own one Pedersoli rolling block and have owned a couple of others.
I'm looking at the Pedersoli Billy Dixon or Creedmoor 30" two trigger in 45-70.
Pedersoli makes Sharps and rolling block models with a Creedmoor name, but if you are looking at the Pedersoli Billy Dixon you are looking at a Sharps rifle.

CM

cooterdog
01-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Pedersoli makes Sharps and rolling block models with a Creedmoor name, but if you are looking at the Pedersoli Billy Dixon you are looking at a Sharps rifle.

CM

Yes your right Billy Dixon is a sharps. My mistake was John Bodine