PDA

View Full Version : Stuck jacket in barrel ?

SWANEEDB
01-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Was wondering if anyone has had just the core going out the barrel and having the jacket stuck in the barrel, thoughts have come up should the spent primer be left in the case using spent casings, I have been using my chop saw to cut off the ejecting rim to get rid of some weight, so no primer remains, just the flash hole with plenty of brass remaining, have not yet swaged any of these bullets too check them out, don't want to do a bunch and just having to trash em. Also, would it be better to use hard lead as apposed to soft lead for the core, I'm thinking soft lead would get me a better case fill-out. Sorry for the rant but would like to hear any feed back you may have. Thanks, Dave

MakeMineA10mm
01-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Won't be a problem unless you're shooting very light loads. The exposed hole can make the problem a little more likely to happen, but this is even a risk with a sealed-off bottom on a bullet, especially the half-jacets which don't have the jacket curve in on the ogive.

Red River Rick
01-29-2011, 01:26 PM
The amount of area that the flash hole is, compared to the remainder of the base of the bullet is so insignificant that there would be no need to worry.

I remove the rim and primer pockets off of all my brass, leaving the flash hole exposed. Never had a problem shooting literally 1000's of rounds in the 25+ years that I've been swaging.

FWIW
:drinks:

RRR

jmh54738
01-29-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't swage bullets, but along the lines of jackets remaining in the barrel, two references.........when the 357 Max first came out , the high pressure would blow right through the base of the lightly constructed jacketed bullet and leave the jacket in the barrel and, #2 filing the tip of of military ammo to create a soft point would do the same thing as the bullet was then open at both ends. Only repeating what I have read, no personal experience of jackets left in bore.

BT Sniper
01-29-2011, 01:37 PM
The amount of area that the flash hole is, compared to the remainder of the base of the bullet is so insignificant that there would be no need to worry.

I remove the rim and primer pockets off of all my brass, leaving the flash hole exposed. Never had a problem shooting literally 1000's of rounds in the 25+ years that I've been swaging.

I agree!

BT

SWANEEDB
01-29-2011, 01:52 PM

FWIW
:drinks:

RRR

I was thinking along the same lines but had to ask the pros, thanks for your input. Hey that Proxxon chop saw really does a nice job of cutting, I made a stop bolt to adjust my cuts the same on each run.

Bullshop
01-29-2011, 02:10 PM
The old Barns originals from copper tubing had a little opening at the base.

Grapeshot
01-29-2011, 02:18 PM
The ammount of pressure that needs to be applied to that small an area of exposed lead to cause the core and jacket to separate is higher than your barrel is made to withstand.

You will not have any core separations when you fire your deprimed, swaged from brass cartridges, "bullets".

I do this myself when I trim .40 S&W cases down to make lighter .45 Bullets.

I use a Lee case trimmer pilot that I shorten the pin of that fits thru the primer flash hole.

This also helps when you want to make a FMJ T/C or RN as it allows the brass to conform to the nose forming die without undue pressure. YMMV.

buck1
02-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Some older jacketed bullets had a opening at the base and nose ,and every once in a wile they would leave the jacket in the bbl. These were factory made bullets. They dont do it often in fact its fairly rare. But it does happen and it only has to happen once to ruin your gun and day and or health.
Some say its fine as it has not happened to them (yet).
As for me , I refuse to shoot any bullet that is open on both ends. But thats me....Buck

MightyThor
02-03-2011, 06:45 PM
[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]The ammount of pressure that needs to be applied to that small an area of exposed lead to cause the core and jacket to separate is higher than your barrel is made to withstand.

You will not have any core separations when you fire your deprimed, swaged from brass cartridges, "bullets".

And with that much pressure, the whole bullet would be so far down range by the time the two separated that it would probably be in a different time zone.