PDA

View Full Version : Kel Tec p-11

krag35
01-29-2011, 11:48 AM
I sold a rifle recently so I reinvested the money in a Kel Tec P-11. since Dad "borrowed back" his 380 I really have had nothing small enough to carry. I'll get to shoot it tomorrow. Almost to big for a pants pocket pistol, but fits nicely in a coat pocket. the long DA striker fire trigger pull is going to take some getting used to. Since pulling the trigger loads the firing pin spring, I can see no reason not to carry it loaded with one in the chamber. I"ll let you know how it shoots.

imashooter2
01-29-2011, 02:04 PM
The casting flash inside the trigger guard rubbed my finger raw. An emery board made short work of that problem. I found mine shot very low with 115s, I needed 124s to get point of aim (that using the tallest rear and shortest front available). I like to carry mine on the belt clip.

Anyway, it isn't a target piece, but mine has been utterly reliable through several thousand rounds. Not a bad choice for SD.

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/carry.jpg

Digger
01-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Same here , have two of the little guns , one in the standard 9mm and the other in 40 s+w.
Many different opinions and yes not a target shooter but a good carry piece .
The P-11 "s are an acquired taste as being double action only with the long trigger pull but I consider it a plus as a safety factor as there no mistakes with typical light trigger pulls or bumps in the single action mode.
Also a 1911 fan here having a Springfield Ultra Compact , lot's of fun and both have there places.

Currently using Mihec's 125 gr hp in mine with nice results , loading down to just above functioning level for range practice makes it really enjoyable.
Keltec came out a few years ago with an after market slide, barrel combo in 40 s+w which turned it into a really nasty little toy....:shock: .. but they had a big problem with the general public limp wristing and it did not like the standard off the shelf 180 gr loads , kept jamming up now and then.
They quit producing them as a result , but now days the Keltec fans are on the look out for the slide conversion or the standard 40 they issued at the time.
With some after market Wolf springs and lighter Boolits they are one nice shooting little forty.
Using Mihecs 155 gr penta hp in mine with loads working very reliably a few gr above function make it very enjoyable also and surprisingly accurate .
With ether one being able to load up to a good self defense load you have different ways to go which makes them one nice little gun to have.
Keltec also has a very good reputation for service , many times replacing parts at no cost to the customer with a phone call.... sound a little familiar , like a certain company that makes reloading components ..(side note: pick up a trigger shoe from Keltec if yours does not have one, makes it wider and smooth , much better functioning ! )

digger

Markbo
01-30-2011, 04:21 PM
I too am a 1911 guy. BUT I have a P11 in my truck as my drop-in-my-pocket gun for those short little trips. I also got a Grandfather Oak ISWB holster that is great... I highly recommend them. They are quite thin, but extremely well fitted and secure.

Understanding that the gun is not a lot of fun to shoot and is strictly a short range life saver gets you in the right frame of mind. I don't expect it to be a 2" @ 25 yard kind of gun. I expect it to be 1 foot at 10 feet and it can do that blindfolded.

I chose the P-11 simply because it was the smallest 9mm I could find at the time. Don't know if the new Ruger is smaller or not, but I consider the 9mm the minimum I will personally depend on and exclude the .380s and .32s from consideration. If you like 'em, great, but I don't. FWIW I did lighten up the trigger pull just a tad with some tricks learned at http://www.ktog.org/

krag35
01-30-2011, 05:43 PM
I put 60 rounds through the P - 11 today. 50 of Mag Tec 115FMJ and 10 Mag Tec 124 gr HP. NO failures, accuracy, 2.5 -3 " At 25 feet. The 115 shoot a handspan low, and the 124 gr right under the bull. Going to try some 147gr, but if they don't do any better, I'll stick with the 124's So far I feel about it like I do about fat chicks and Japaneese motorcylces.

zardoz
01-31-2011, 12:11 AM
I purchased a P-11 in January 2009, for many of the same reasons. Light, small, and so far has never malfunctioned or given any trouble. It was my "door pocket" gun for quite a while.

I put the trigger shoe on it, along with the "pinky" finger magazine extension, and I can highly recommend both those options. It's not an accurate battle tank like my Ruger P89, but for certain carry situations it fits the bill.

Lately, a Taurus PT-145 is the "door pocket" gun of choice. Wanted a projectile with a bit more authority than the 9mm.

All that said, I could stand to lose either without too much grief, if luck conditions went against me, and they were confiscated. A consideration that must be weighed for an active carry firearm.

Thin Man
01-31-2011, 12:36 PM
I bought a used P11 about 5 years back and had real trouble getting it re-assembled after cleaning. One call to Kel-Tec and they asked to have it back for examination. When they returned it to me, I learned they had replaced the frame. The only cost to me was shipping to the factory. Since that time there have been no problems with re-assembly. This pistol has had zero malfunctions either before or after these repairs.

About 3 years ago I bought a P40 from a friend who had fired it less than one box of ammo. Of course I had to try it out as soon as the money changed hands. Like Digger stated earlier, these have a nasty recoil.

For the physical size and weight, the P11 wears so well in the waist-band that it is easy to forget I have it with me. Occasionally I have to nudge my waist with the elbow to confirm the P11 is taking the trip with me. The long DA trigger pull is a very fine safety feature, much like the trigger pull on a revolver.

Thin Man

Markbo
02-07-2011, 01:27 PM
....So far I feel about it like I do about fat chicks and Japaneese motorcylces....

Both of which will do in a pinch! http://ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif

imashooter2
02-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Both of which will do in a pinch! http://ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif

LOL! Fun to ride, you just don't want your friends to see you on one. http://ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif

Digger
02-07-2011, 03:10 PM
LOL! Fun to ride, you just don't want your friends to see you on one. http://ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif

Didn't I mention .... "acquired taste" ! ......:drinks:.....:rolleyes:

MtGun44
02-07-2011, 05:35 PM
PF9 is much flatter and far better trigger system and pull.

Bill

Black Prince
02-07-2011, 11:21 PM
So what do you fellas have against good lookin' fat women? Don't you know they need love too? MtGun44 says "much flatter and far better trigger system and pull." See? He KNOWS that fatter is better.

And you boys make fun. Ha. I say HA!

MtGun44
02-08-2011, 04:49 AM
Not a fan of fatter in anything except a wallet. ;-)

Bill

looseprojectile
02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
of a pocket pistol that is small and light. I have carried several small light guns from the Beretta tip up .22 up to several of the smaller .45s. None felt very secure unless it was in a pocket or a holster.
The final answer for me is the KelTek PMR 30. Single action, thirty shots and very light. It doesn't feel as though it wants to slide down my pants leg when I slip it in my waist band. Slippery is good if you carry it in a pocket. If you get a chance to handle the PMR 30 try slipping it in your waist band and see how comfortable it carries. I am convinced I have discovered the final answer for me. And if you don't think the .22 magnum is powerful enough just shoot a couple of dozen more times. [smilie=1:

Life is good

Keyston44
02-11-2011, 08:09 PM
The Kel-Tec P 11 is a good gun for the money. I've have mine for almost 10 years without a single problem. Key

krag35
02-12-2011, 01:15 AM
I put another 50 rounds through mine today. It's smoothing up a bit. It still shoots low with 115 gr, but close enough for what it is made for. Think I'll keep it.