PDA

View Full Version : 300 H&H for aBlack Powder Cartridge

kodiak1
01-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Okay Okay be gentle to this old fool now!
Have a bit a thought amoung the few brain cells that I have left how would the 300 H&H work with black?
Does she have enough taper to extract easy? I think it should.
Would one suffer extreme fouling from that small a caliber in that large of a case?

Give me your honest thoughts and suggestions.

How about other calibers that would work good with black!

Thanks Ken.:bigsmyl2:

NickSS
01-29-2011, 03:56 AM
I loaded 30-30, 303 British and 30-06 with black powder and cast bullets lubed with BP Lube and got some reasonable results. I did find that the bigger the case the faster I got too much fouling even though I used a blow tube for all of them. With the 30-06 I could only get two or three rounds off before my group opened up even using gas checked bullets. I would think that your results with a 300 H&H would be more restricted unless you wipe the bore after each shot.

kodiak1
01-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Nick thanks that is kind of the way I was thinking.
I figured though the case was built fairly decent with the amount of slop to it and the small angles on the shoulders.
Thanks for the input.

Ken.

northmn
01-30-2011, 09:15 PM
One big problem with using BP in modern barrels is that they are not really rifled for BP. Rifling is slightly shallow and they are usually of a faster twist for a HV load. The 303 was loaded with BP originally but it was also used in rifle with Metford rifling. A 300 H&H sounds a bit underbored for the case capacity with BP anyway.

DP