PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 55 over Ohaus DU-O-Measure

ColColt
01-28-2011, 11:27 PM
I have an old Ohaus DU-O-Measure that the plastic hopper has seen better days. Where the two screws go into the bottom of it has over time, cracked the plastic and I get occasional "leaks" of powder there and around it. I'm considering the Lyman 55 since it's been around as long as the ark since I can't get another hopper from RCBS or anyone else. I've been well pleased with the Ohaus but it's days are numbered.

Any particularities about the 55 I should know from those who may have one?

01-29-2011, 01:15 AM
A few months ago, I bought a used 55 to replace a Lee that leaked all but the longest of stick powders. My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago. Not only does it not leak, it measures more accurately, and its mounting options are better suited to my bench setup.

I've been thinking of buying another...

Bret4207
01-29-2011, 08:55 AM
I am not a huge fan of the 55, even though I own one. Were it me, I'd be looking around for a replacement hopper or repairing the one you have. OTH, if you simply want a newer measure, I'm a huge fan of the Redding BR and an even bigger fan of the B+M, but that's not a "fast" measure like the BR.

Dan Cash
01-29-2011, 09:42 AM
My bench has one B&M, 2 Herter's and 5 or 6 Lyman 55s. Used properly, they all seem to measure powder with the requite accuracy. The Lymans are easier to adjust and have a smaller foot print. The B&M is very accurate but painfully slow and very much for sale.

Your Ohaus is a neat looking old measure but will cost you some sheckels to repair. I would look for a good used Lyman 55 for replacement. $40 or $50 should get you set up.

oldhickory
01-29-2011, 09:43 AM
I have a Lyman 55 and just don't care for it, but it's always on the bench and does see some use. Like Bret I have a Redding BR and use it for most of my loading chores these days, how-ever the more I use the Hornady LNL measure that's on my LNL AP the more I like it, in fact I may buy another for bench use.

The 55 is a good measure and a long time standard that mounts almost anywhere, easy to use hand held, and handles most powders with ease. I just don't care for the way it adjusts with those little turn screws, but that's just me.

I had a B&M also and sold it here to a collector, way too slow for general operation to suit me, but they do adjust sure and easy.

If you want one about the same size, etc. as your current Ohas, you'll probably be very happy with a Lyman 55.

dragonrider
01-29-2011, 10:58 AM
I have one of the Ohaus measures that had no hopper, and a Lee Perfect measure that was broken. using a piece of pvc pipe and some epoxy I adapted the Lee hopper to the Ohaus. Worked out well. As for the 55 I find mine easier to adjust than the Ohaus so I use it more.

ColColt
01-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Apparently, the Redding BR has been discontinued as I couldn't find any info on it. They do have the BR-30 and 3BR but, both are a bit more than I care to spend at $150-200. The #3 Redding will only measure from 5-100 gr and that could be a problem if I wanted to every use Bullseye . I'm no fan of fast burning powders like Bullseye, Red dot, Green Dot, etc., and would seldom use those anyway but it's nice to know you could thrown a 3.8 gr charge if need be.

RCBS's Uniflow will measure from .5-50 gr which is more my speed since many of my loads run from 5-20 grs. Mostly shooting pistols, that's about all I'd need with emphasis more on the 5-15 gr charges used for the 357, and 45 ACP. If all else failed, I could always duct tape around the bottom of the hopper where it funnels down to the metal.:-)

oldhickory
01-29-2011, 01:27 PM
You would probably get along just fine with a Lyman 55, just because I don't care for them isn't a really fair asessment of the measure, I started out with Pacific and had a Lyman given to me and it was just different enough for me to not want to use it much. At any rate, it's been in production now for over 50 years, a lot of people must like them.

C.F.Plinker
01-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Years ago I had a C-H measure that developed the same hopper problem. I found that a pizza sauce can would just fit into the body of the measure. I drilled two small holes just above the bottom rim to hold the can in place. Drilling a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom of the can gave me a built in baffle. Just a thought.

jmh54738
01-29-2011, 01:51 PM
I cannot compare the 55 to other measures as I have only the 55 and a Pacific with fixed rotors for pistol use. Having used the #55 for 50 years, I pay no attention to the graduations on the slide. If you choose a #55, here is a setting tip..........For rifle charges, open all three slides together and dump one weighed powder charge into the empty measure.. Then by pushing the slides back, the powder will rise to the top of the powder chamber. This will give a quick rough setting. Upon weighing, if the charge is light, I move the top two slides together as a fine adjustment. If the charge is a little heavy, close all three slides about 1/32" and repeat the fine adjustment. Takes about 3 or 4 weighings to get set. John

ColColt
01-29-2011, 02:22 PM
One thing that puzzles me about the Lyman is the "Knocker". Never heard that term before and don't know the significance of it. It must be that little door knocker looking jobbie on the front of the measure. I've always, with the Ohaus, went forward, tapped, then back and tap. It's given me some right on or +- .1 gr variance this way. I guess that's what the knocker on the 55 does, basically.

My first measure was a Pacific I bought around 1969 when I first started reloading for rifles. I can't say it was the most accurate I ever had and have since then consigned it to it's box in favor of others with the last being the Ohaus. With pistol powder the accuracy level seems to go up with flake and ball types of powder since there's no cutting of tubular powder. AA#5 and others measure much better than H4831 or 4895 ever will. I don't shoot rifles anymore-mostly pistols. It's a long drive to the outdoor range so, I just go to a local indoor range about 6 miles away.

Bret4207
01-29-2011, 03:43 PM
The 55 is a good measure and a long time standard that mounts almost anywhere, easy to use hand held, and handles most powders with ease. I just don't care for the way it adjusts with those little turn screws, but that's just me.

Bingo, 3 sliding parts and I can never get the one I want to move. Incredibly complex for whats needed IMO, and very difficult to get repeatable settings. The little knocker is one of it's good points IMO.

wv109323
01-29-2011, 04:50 PM
When I started reloading I used my brothers RCBS Uni-flow. When I got out on my own I bought a LYman 55. I disliked the Lyman so much that I bought a RCBS Uni-flow. I sold the Lyman. I disliked the Lyman especially with stick rifle powder. It seemed the larger the load the more difficult to throw the powder with the Lyman. I remember it being less accurate than the RCBS.
I do not like the repeatability of setting the adjustment on the RCBS but it was better than the LYMAN. Just my opinion.

lead-1
01-30-2011, 01:06 AM
I have an Ohaus Du-O-Measure that I love but as you said the hopper is shot. Mine is a different looking set up than yours but never the less hoppers are rarer than hen's teeth so here is how I fixed mine until I find a better solution.

Check out post #6 in this thread, its a Sprite bottle but it works; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=65674

ColColt
01-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Check out post #6 in this thread, its a Sprite bottle but it works; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=65674

Ingenious!:smile: If you don't have a patent on that you should. If not, I may trying using a small Coke bottle as I seldom load the hopper up much. That would be more my style...yep, a Coke bottle-that's the ticket. Did you drill and uses screws like the old one?

Old Shooter
01-30-2011, 09:48 PM
A 55 is a great powder measure, get an old orange one not the new ****. It will outlast you, I have 2 and love them.

ColColt
01-30-2011, 10:59 PM
A 55 is a great powder measure, get an old orange one not the new ****. It will outlast you, I have 2 and love them.

Where could you find those old ones? I remember them from years ago. At 65, it wouldn't have to last long.:)

lead-1
01-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Ingenious!:smile: If you don't have a patent on that you should. If not, I may trying using a small Coke bottle as I seldom load the hopper up much. That would be more my style...yep, a Coke bottle-that's the ticket. Did you drill and uses screws like the old one?

Mine doesn't have the screws like yours, the hopper just sit down in the measure with a slot cut into it to keep it from spinning and that is why I use the rubber band to hold the homemade hopper down. My original hopper can be seen in the first picture peeking out from behind the ammo boxes on the right side of the picture, it is also green.

Oh yeah, I tried a Coke bottle also but in my opinion the Sprite bottle has a narrower flatter shoulder that fit my particular measure better, Pepsi and Dr.Pepper bottles are out of the question, lol.

ColColt
01-30-2011, 11:21 PM
I'll have to do some measuring and see what works best for this one. Can't recall when I bought it but it's been many moons ago. It does extremely well with most powders but 2400 seems to give it a problem. If I'm loading 15 gr of that powder, I set up the Ohaus to meter 14.5 gr and use a trickler to add the final .5 grain.

lead-1
01-31-2011, 11:17 AM
I really like mine and I have wandered many a gun show and flea market in search of a hopper. After about five years I missed one on gunbroker buy it now by mere minutes, I almost cried myself to sleep that night, lol.

AZ-Stew
01-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Used properly the Lyman #55 is as accurate as any other production measure. If you let one of the smaller slides overhang one of the larger slides, it will give inconsistent charges, but if you're careful not to let them overhang, it's very consistent.

I've been using one for over 35 years. I originally chose it because I didn't want to deal with a measure that required one metering chamber for handgun and a separate one that required changing for rifle. For what it's worth, it's painted gray from the factory. I never use the knocker. I tap the handle once or twice when I raise it and one to four times when I lower it to dump the charge, depending on the coarseness of the powder. This technique ensures a consistent charge and eliminates bridging.

None of the rotating measures are ideal for stick powders. That's why I bought the Lyman digital dispenser/scale. After wiping it down with a dryer sheet to get rid of the static electricity problem, it works very well.

The sliding measure on my Dillon RL-550 works well with pistol powders. Don't know how it works with rifle powders. I don't load rifle on the Dillon.

Regards,

Stew

ColColt
01-31-2011, 11:45 PM
I really like mine and I have wandered many a gun show and flea market in search of a hopper. After about five years I missed one on gunbroker buy it now by mere minutes, I almost cried myself to sleep that night, lol.

I understand that. I looked at your link and saw the measure you have. the V-shaped metal part at the top where you have the plastic bottle stuck in is much bigger than mine. The metal part of mine that the hopper fits in is about an inch in diameter. Yours looks like about 2 1/2-3 inches. I haven't been able to get a bottle of any sort to work yet. I'm thinking about putting some clear caulk around the joint so I won't get any leakage but a bit leery of the chemical in caulk adversely affecting the powder somehow.

dromia
02-01-2011, 08:31 AM
I have both and like and use both but if I had to have only one then it would be the Duo Measure as I find it a snip to set.

The collar on my hopper was broken around the screw holes and wouldn't stay in place so I epoxied in and its been jus fine ever since.

I also cut a baffle for it and the charges never vary as the powder drops in the hopper.

If I was you I'd try and get that hopper back into action, the fix doesn't need to be pretty it just needs to work

deepwater
02-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Is the Ohaus Duo Measure considered "safe" to use with BP?. Looks like it has ferrous innards.

ColColt
02-01-2011, 07:50 PM
I have both and like and use both but if I had to have only one then it would be the Duo Measure as I find it a snip to set.

The collar on my hopper was broken around the screw holes and wouldn't stay in place so I epoxied in and its been jus fine ever since.

I also cut a baffle for it and the charges never vary as the powder drops in the hopper.

If I was you I'd try and get that hopper back into action, the fix doesn't need to be pretty it just needs to work

That's where mine is messed u-around the screw holes. I've thought of the epoxy and may do that yet. It's given such good service for well ovder 20 years.

How does one make a baffle? One didn't come with mine or jif it did, it was long lost moons ago.

Is the Ohaus Duo Measure considered "safe" to use with BP?. Looks like it has ferrous innards.

Nope-mine's not at least. I use to measure BP from a plastic cup and a small spoon...the hard way but, that was for 45 Colt or if I was going to shoot my old 58 cal Zouave I'd weigh the 70 gr charge fo 2Fg and put them into paper that was wrapped around the bullet for "teeth tearin'" later on.;)

dromia
02-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Made mine from copper sheet using a template from this thread here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=97091&highlight=Baffle

Sorry you'l have to copy and paste the link I'm having site problems.

bbqncigars
02-04-2011, 12:09 AM
I've fixed two Duo Measures by using JB weld to permanently put a MEC powder baffle where the bottom of the original hoppers went. I had to remove most of the male threads from the baffles to snugly fit into the measure body. A regular MEC powder bottle is then screwed into the top of the baffle. It works great, and is sturdy as heck.

Wayne

o6Patient
12-31-2012, 03:54 PM
I like the little 55 especially the looks, all nice and gizmo y, but it always seemed to me they over
complicate the simple principal of changing the size of a hole. I personally can't see the 55 being
more accurate than a duo and if in fact is: it is truly a good measure.