PDA

View Full Version : Loading the 22 hornet

DragoonDrake
01-28-2011, 10:14 PM
So I have been shooting the 22 hornet for awhile and I decided to start reloading for it. I have been casting for the 223 so I know the perils and difficulties with the tiny bullets. Well I have a new problem. My lee powder measure and redding powder measure don't allow me to throw a light enough charge with say h110 to use in the small brass. I have been able to use lil gun but I can only get my charge down to 9.4grs.

Gentlemen and women please inform me as to what powder measures you use for this tiny case.

Thanks in advance. Adam.

Mk42gunner
01-28-2011, 10:39 PM
I usually use a dipper and scale check the small charges for a Hornet. If you don't have a set of Lee dippers, you can make your own out of an old case by soldering a handle on it. Calibrate by weighing the charge and trimming the case.

Robert

quilbilly
01-28-2011, 10:41 PM
I have not yet started casting boolits for the 22 caliber but I have been using the powder measure that gives about 9 gr of 4198 with my hornet. This is a low velocity, pelt-saving load which should be about perfect for cast boolits since it gives an MV of about 1950 in my carbine. In my experience with other CB's, that 1950 with jacketed 55 gr bullets translates to about 2100 with CB's of the same size.

BCall
01-28-2011, 10:46 PM
I use a Lyman Accumeasure that I have a set of rotors for unless I can't get quite the right charge weight I need.

If you have a Redding measure, if it's a #3, look at getting the pistol micrometer for it. The pistol one goes from 0 to roughly 10 grains, and I have used mine on some pretty small charges.

Az Rick
01-28-2011, 10:55 PM
I've been shooting 10grs. H110 out of my Contender, dime sized groups. Like Robert says I made a measure out of an old case, however I undersized it a bit and use my digital scale to finish it off,... yes I weigh every one but I want it to be accurate and I enjoy it to boot. It's my therapy.

Best, Rick

woody1
01-28-2011, 10:56 PM
The Lyman 55 works for me. Regards, Woody

telebasher
01-28-2011, 11:00 PM
I have an older Redding powder measure and it will throw 2.5 gr BE all the way up to 70 gr charges for 300 mag. While I have no experience with 296/H110, I have alot of practical experience with LiL Gun. My guns show a marked preference that LiL Gun works better at a higher loading density. No problem with J-bullets as you get highest velocities with very acceptable pressures. The cast bullets velocities need to be lower somewhat to be compatible with the alloy that you are using. With that said, AA1680 works best in my rifle with my alloy for my general varminting chores. For small game I use small charges of Bullseye or Unique. Your mileage will vary depending on barrel twist, bullet design etc.

DragoonDrake
01-29-2011, 12:32 PM
I have the redding competition powder measure.

NHlever
01-29-2011, 12:53 PM
I use an older Lyman 55 measure most of the time since I shoot mostly cast these days. That has worked with some pretty small charges. I've shot a bunch of Lyman 22596, and 225415 cast boolits out of a Hornet with small charges (6.5 - 8.5 grains) of H-110, and various other powders with good results. In the meantime, you might try using AA-1680, or one of the 4227 powders ( H, or IMR) . I had good luck with them, and the powder charges are just high enough to probably work through your measures.

WILCO
01-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Gentlemen and women please inform me as to what powder measures you use for this tiny case.

Hey Adam,

I use the LEE Safety scale, LEE Dipper set and a RCBS Powder Trickler for precision powder work. The LEE Dipper for the bulk of the charge, Safety scale and trickler to finish it up. Takes a little bit of time, but works for me. :wink:

roysha
01-29-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't know which Redding measure you have but I would think you should be able to obtain a pistol rotor from Redding for it. If not, I have had excellent results with the Hornady LNL measure. It will consistently throw 1.7 grains of Bullseye for my 32 S&W wadcutter loads. With the rifle rotor it will throw any common sense rifle charge as accurately as any of the rest of the measures with the exception of the B&M.

An after thought. I have, in a drawer somewhere, a Redding rotor that may or may not be pistol size. If you will pm me the dimensions of your rotor I'll see if mine will fit your measure and if it does, I'll send it to you for the shipping. I also have a couple Redding inserts which I am quite sure are pistol size. They are either new or like new. These were accumulated over a period of many years, from where I do not know, since I have never owned a Redding measure. Oh well.

ihmsakiwi
01-29-2011, 03:22 PM
So I have been shooting the 22 hornet for awhile and I decided to start reloading for it. I have been casting for the 223 so I know the perils and difficulties with the tiny bullets. Well I have a new problem. My lee powder measure and redding powder measure don't allow me to throw a light enough charge with say h110 to use in the small brass. I have been able to use lil gun but I can only get my charge down to 9.4grs.

Thanks in advance. Adam.

I use the 9.3 gr of powder in my Hornet which coincides with the level scoop of the .7cc Lee scoop. After I discovered that, I never bothered setting up my dispensers.

leadman
01-29-2011, 05:06 PM
I use the pistol measure in my Redding measure and very small charges are possible.

bart55
01-29-2011, 06:54 PM
I use the lyman 55 that I bought in 1963 ,works like a charm on small or large charges ,Wow I wonder how many rounds i have loaded with that measure over the years

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Lee Pro Autodisk powder measure.
6.3 gr. Lilgun, I can't remember which disk.
Jon

Rocky Raab
01-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Used to use an RCBS digital dispenser until it died. Now use a Hornady digital dispenser. Weighed charges, to the tenth, every time.

BCall
01-29-2011, 09:38 PM
I have the redding competition powder measure.

If it's the 3BR, then a pistol micrometer is available for it, about $30-$35 I think. If it is a BR-30, then there isn't.

DragoonDrake
01-30-2011, 10:53 AM
I think it is th br-30. I think I looked for the box but could not find it.

Larry Gibson
01-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Lyman 55 here also. Like it so much I have 3 of them.

Larry Gibson

dangerranger
01-30-2011, 07:39 PM
I have the Lee Perfect Powder measure, and have dropped loads as small as 2.5 gr of tightgroup with it. its not easy to adjust but seems to be accurate once adjusted. DR

DragoonDrake
01-31-2011, 07:41 AM
Thank you everyone for your responses. I missed the reply about the lnl. I have one of those on my progressive press. I am going to try it and see if I can get a small enough charge. Thanks again.
Adam.

DragoonDrake
01-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Ok update. I tried my lee powder measure again tonight and I was easily able to drop the small charges. I have no idea what I did wrong the other night. At first I thought my scale was screwed up. I am sorry about tha guys. I just don't know.

woody1
01-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Check both powder measure and scale for cobwebs and/or bugs. It does happen. Regards, Woody

WILCO
02-02-2011, 10:17 AM
I am sorry about that guys. I just don't know.

Nothing to be sorry about brother. Learn new things, shoot straight and keep moving forward. [smilie=p:

NVScouter
02-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I love my LEE powder dispenser but it can get picky about powders. Not as bad as the Hornady *** I had but some powders just dont feed well.

Bullshop here turned me onto IMR4227 for the Hornet and cast. Wow is all I can say. Lil'Gun still for my j-bullets but 4227 for cast for now on.

canyon-ghost
02-02-2011, 12:16 PM
My way isn't the cheapest but, I'm coming off a Redding #3 onto an RCBS 502 scale then, trickling in the rest. It's pretty much benchrest rifle style of single stage. I get good consistent loads that way, with a lot of patience.
Using the 45 grain Lyman #225438, it takes 7.5 grains of IMR 4227

Hornady V-Max 50 grain, 8.0 grains of VV N110 (good high-powered load).

Winchester cases and primers (small rifle).

Ron

PS: that's the 22 hornet in the avatar too.

DragoonDrake
02-03-2011, 10:39 AM
I have been shooting the hornady 35gr vmax loaded ammo. I have been loading the lyman 55gr with the extra lube grooves on the nose and the BRP 47gr RF. I love the fact that I can load 200 rounds and my powder measure is still full. I have loaded with lil'gun, imr 4227, and H4198. I have heard good things about H110 but my LEE has never been friendly with that powder.

I am using Win cases and WSR primers as well as hornady cases.

I am going to the range Friday so hopefully I will have good news.

Adam

Ron I will have to take a picture of my hornet so we can compare.