PDA

View Full Version : Lube/Sizers

Cloudpeak
11-08-2006, 11:16 AM
From another thread (didn't want to highjack thread), Lloyd said:

ebay always has a selection of lyman lube sizer presses for about 50 bucks. Alox sucks in the 1911s anyway its just to dirty and guns them up fast. Im a little predudice anyway as ive never had real good luck with it in anything.

I've hd pretty good luck with LLA in both 40 S&W and my new 45 ACP. But, It is messy and it does take time to coat, let dry and recoat. I've seen many posts that talk about pan lubing but, for massive quantities of 45 ACP, it looks very time consuming. So, I've toyed with the idea of buying a lube/sizer. One for $50.00 perks my interest a bit.

Years ago, I owned a L/S but loaned it and lost it. Can't remember which make it was or how it operated. I do really like the Lee puch through sizing dies. It hard to believe anything could be faster than that method.

So, it would be great (for me, anyway) if we could get a discussion going on how these things operate, which machine is best, etc. Can a coventional L/S be as fast as the LLA/puch through sizer method?

Thanks, guys.

Cloudpeak

versifier
11-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Cloudpeak,
Do a site search when you get a chance as that has been a constant topic of interest and discussion here. Me, I like LLA just fine.

Cloudpeak
11-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Cloudpeak,
Do a site search when you get a chance as that has been a constant topic of interest and discussion here. Me, I like LLA just fine.

Yeah, but I'm lazy. I also have "dry eye syndrom" which is a real pain in the rear and cuts into my computer viewing time on occasion. It's getting better, thank goodness. Last year, I could only stand to look at a computer screen for a max of 30 minutes. So, if I can, I try to take the easy way out whenever I can!

Cloudpeak

Leftoverdj
11-08-2006, 06:49 PM
No. none of the conventional lubrisizers are as fast as Lee pushthroughs. A Star will match them if you don't count setup time.

There are tumble lubes other than LLA that work very well for target and midrange pistol loads. Rooster Jacket is the best known, and has significant advantages over LLA, but is only for the milder loads.

Searches on Rooster Jacket, Johnson's Paste Wax, and Gardner Bender will get you started.

KYCaster
11-09-2006, 09:43 PM
No. none of the conventional lubrisizers are as fast as Lee pushthroughs. A Star will match them if you don't count setup time.
started.

I don't know why anybody has problems adjusting the Star, seems easy enough to me.

I haven't used a Lee push-through, but looks to me like you have to set the boolit on top of the punch and guide it into the die, correct me if I'm wrong. With the Star, just drop the boolit nose first into the die and gravity centers it and holds it in place till you pull the handle. AND.....when you're done sizing with the Lee, you still have all those sized boolits than need to be lubed somehow. With the Star, when you're done........well........yer done!

If you're talking about "massive quantities of 45ACP", Star's by far the best choice. 2000 pcs/hr vs. 750-800 on the Lyman/RCBS vs. ???, two seperate operations on the Lee.

Just my two cents.
Jerry