PDA

View Full Version : Cuttin down 9mm cases and smaller cores

DukeInFlorida
01-28-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm working on a better process to give me shorter .40 S&W bullets from the 9mm cases.

While I have loaded a bunch of the 187 grain versions, which is what you get when you use a 124 grain cast bullet core with a 9mm case, I'm not happy with the very long length of the bullet (projectile) since so much of the back end of it protrudes into the .40 S&W case. I'm striving for something that gives me about a 165 grain projectile, which is much friendlier to the .40 S&W.

BT has recently suggested that the case capacity can be increased 9% by removing primers. Nice idea, but it's not enough for my liking.

So, if I trim the 9mm cases to a shorter length, and still use 124 grain cast bullets as cores, I still end up with something more like a partial jacket bullet, with too much lead sticking out the front. Have tried some experiments with drilling off the nose lead, and re-swaging, and that has me convinced that perhaps a .380 (105 grain) cast lead bullet might be a better choice for a starting core.

Rather than just "pop" on a Lee mold for that size/weight, I'm wondering if anyone here has a mold, and could get me some test sample cast bullets that I can try as cores??

I haven't seen anyone try this approach yet (the lighter bullet core), while we are all running around chopping cases/jackets.

If you can send a few 100gr (or so) castings, let me know.

notenoughguns
01-28-2011, 12:14 PM
I use a 99 grain core with 9mm case cut to .68 which yields me a 160 grain bullet with lead to the top of the case .

sargenv
01-28-2011, 12:28 PM
I use a 110 gr core that gives me the same length bullet, but only about a 170 grain total weight. When I seat that core, the last oh.. .075" could likely be trimmed off since it is just jacket material.. the lead core has been seated and there is excess jacketing to it.. I don't trim them since I don't need to, but if you had a trim jig of some type, taking off just a small amount off the front should put you in the range you are looking for. I think BT uses his RCBS trimmer as a jig to hold the brass.. that should work just fine.

b2riesel
01-28-2011, 06:37 PM
The .380 brass with 115gr lead cores I started on yesterday come out to 163gr each...give or take a half grain. I don't have any dies yet...just brass with the lead seated...but when I do...I'll tell you how they turn out.

2wheelDuke
01-28-2011, 06:55 PM
I use the Lee 356-102-1R boolit in my .380. I probably have some un-lubed samples in my garage I could send.

DukeInFlorida
02-07-2011, 06:24 PM
WOW!!

2WheelDuke send me a bunch of 105 grain castings, and I was able to develop a simple five step system for making perfect .40 S&W bullets:

1) I set up my RCBS Pro Trim trimmer (with my own version of the power tool adapter), and using the shell holder for a 9MM case, trimmed annealed 9mm brass to .380 auto length (use a .380 auto as the set up length guide).

2) Installed the castings, round side in.

3) Lubed the outside of the 9mm case

4) Run into swage tool. This bumped it out to .400 diameter, and made a nice HP.

5) Reinstall the swaged .40 bullet into the shell holder on the RCBS trimmer, and trimmed the lead flash.

The result is a nice 169 grain bullet that isn't too long (the 187 grain bullets are too long.) That's close enough to the target 165 grain I was striving for.

My self made modification to my RCBS Pro Trim allows me to use my drill motor for the trimming, which speeds up the entire process. Takes me less than a minute to completely process a bullet through all of the steps.

I have to buy a die to make my own castings, and then I will be busy busy busy!

gjemba
02-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Cut off the extractor rim/groove. On a .40 case you can get rid of 20 - 25 gtains of brass weight. I do this for swaging for my .44 and .45. Cutting this off a 9mm case will be somewhat less of course, but you will get a weight reduction. I posted pics a week or 2 ago on a gang trimmer and pics of the trimmed cases. This is for the .40 cases and am making the same thing for .32 auto cases to make 9mm swaged bullets. Others have done similar things. Each one of us uses someone else's idea and expands on it. A lot of guys like the rim left in place, but cutting it off will give you more flexibility in achieving the weight that you want.

DukeInFlorida
02-09-2011, 09:24 AM
I don't have access to a milling machine. I do have one of the HF cut off saws, but the fixturing is an issue for me. Much simpler to have figured out how to trim the front of the brass, and use a lighter cast core.

My result is perfect for me.

mold maker
02-09-2011, 12:18 PM
2 weeks ago, I annealed several gals of .40 glock fired brass. Last week I finished cleaning and polishing it. Yesterday I poured almost 30 lbs of cores. Guess what I'm doing now. I have 3/30 cal ammo cans already labeled .44 JHP (XTP look alike)
Tee Hee This sure is fun.