PDA

View Full Version : Spencer...

dk17hmr
11-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Layed my hands on an ORGINAL Spencer 50-56 Lever action rifle. Absoultly beautiful shape made in the 1860(?). That sucker was heaby but wow what a rifle.

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976777544.htm
Very much like the one in the link except the one I looked at was way more better. Looked down the barrel with a light, the rifling was very very very good.

Only $4800 with all the history of the rifle down to the orginal owner. Anyone interested in one?

Buckshot
11-09-2006, 03:35 AM
Layed my hands on an ORGINAL Spencer 50-56 Lever action rifle. Absoultly beautiful shape made in the 1860(?). That sucker was heaby but wow what a rifle.

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976777544.htm
Very much like the one in the link except the one I looked at was way more better. Looked down the barrel with a light, the rifling was very very very good.

Only $4800 with all the history of the rifle down to the orginal owner. Anyone interested in one?

...............Ah, not the $4800 one!

.............Buckshot

shooter575
11-09-2006, 11:54 AM
There are quite a few guys shooting orgionals.S&S makes a drop in centfire breechblock.Cutdown 50-70 brass.Dies are around.CAS bb has a group and the
N-SSA BB has info.
I think that price is way high though.Most prime ones can be had in the 3k range.Shooters in the 1800-2500 area.

Bret4207
11-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Oh! Well, as long as they're only $1800-2500.00 I'll get 3! HAR!!! Wish I could swing anything in the Spencer line, original or not.

shooter575
11-09-2006, 10:44 PM
My C/W shooting team for 10 years or so put on a pre 1898 gun show
in Jackson Mi.It was held right next to a large park that had the largest reinactment held in Mi.Being we had a couple C/W arms collecters on the team and they had their tables next to the door to catch the stuff comming in.You know this was a while ago as we rented the space from the local elementry school.
Anyway one of the dealers had a Spencer.About 95%,mint bore,nice case,wood etc.Wanted 450 bucks for the thing. I drooled over this All weekend[I was working there] On sunday he came down to 400.A lot of money for somthing I could not shoot.But I just could not afford it.The next year the I saw the same dealer.I asked about the Spencer.He said someone came out with a drop in breechblock conversion just a month or so after that show.Bumped up the price to 800 clams and sold it right away.That is my story about the one that got away.
shooting Spencer links [you got to dig a bit]

http://www.cascity.com/index2.shtml

http://www.n-ssa.net/phpbb/

NickSS
11-09-2006, 11:08 PM
The 56-50 was the model of 1865 none of them were completed early enough to take part in the CW but they were used for years after the war by the US Calvery until the mid 1870s in fact. Custers 7th Calvery was rearmed with single shot springfields shortly before the battle of Little Big Horn. Maybe if they had greater firepower they may have survived? Anyway I shot an 1860 Spencer carbine a friend found in the attic of a house he bought. There was almost a full case of original ammo with it and it was the 56-56 cal model. The ammo was dated in the 1880s and the carbine looked like it had sean considerable use. We actually fired some of the original ammo in it about 10% failed to fire. I still have one of the cartridges in my possetion. My buddy bought a CF breach Block and used the Carbine for several years to hunt deer. Then he bought a 94 Winchester which was a lot lighter to carry. The Spencer with 7 Rounds in it weighed like 10 pounds.