PDA

View Full Version : cast boolit maketh much meat

45stomp
11-08-2006, 01:36 AM
Hi guys,
here's a couple pic's and the story(true even) of my moose hunt.........I stomped him with cast boolits:-D
I left home with my 2wd pickup (the gas hog ford 400 as my 4x4 is broke) about 4am Sunday morning. I arrived in my hunting zone at first light and drove around all morning without seeing a single moose. I did however see much sign of moose in one location so around lunch time I decided I had wasted enough gas and may as well go for a walk and see if I could find a moose, or at least waste some time till late afternoon.
I walked down into a snip and skid block and found a set of cow and calf tracks. I kept looking and soon cut a track that looked promising, larger than the cow track and all alone, but older, maybe 24 hours old. I followed it for a bit and soon found where the bull had taken a leak (urinated for the politically correct). Now I knew it was at least a bull but still a pretty old track. I kept on it for another half mile or so, past several beds and it soon got much fresher. I finally found a very fresh bed and the bulls stride became much longer......I must have bumped him. Figuring that as long as he was moving quickly there was no need for me to poke along at a stalking pace so I hoofed it at a good clip till the bull's stride slowed down again. I then found some droppings that still had heat in them, and then a bit further another pile that was even warmer. I knew I was getting close....I could even smell him. I went another couple hundred yards and came to the edge of an older logging block, maybe 10 years old, and heard a squirrel scolding something about 50 to 75 yards from me along the edge of the block. I peeked through a hole in the brush and there was the moose. I checked with the binoculars to make sure it was a bull and realizing that it was and he was broadside I shot through the same little opening that I had peeked through with the bin's. At the shot the bull moved away a few yards and went behind a small pine tree. I moved to where I could see his head and tried to shoot him behind the ear (freehand) I saw the bullet strike a snow covered branch just over the bulls neck....I had shot a couple inches too high just skimming some hair off the back of his neck. He moved a few more steps on shaky knees and was behind a clump of young pines. I decided I had better shoot again as he was still on his feet maybe 30 seconds or so after my first shot, it felt longer. I shot through the screen of trees at his chest at which he turned and ran a few yards and fell. I walked up to him and put a final, though unnecessary shot at the base of his skull. I had filled my moose tag but now what! I was at least 3/4 of a mile maybe more from the truck and it was uphill slightly all the way and through at least two willow swamps.
Seeing I was in a logging block I figured there must be a road of sorts not too far away so after cutting my tag I went in search of a road. I found it about 250 yards from the moose and headed towards the main road, I thought. After walking maybe a couple miles I came to a dead end. Oops, I had gone the wrong way:roll: . I went back to where I first came out on the road and kept going past for about 300 yards till I came to a cross ditch with tire tracks on the other side where someone had turned around. I figured that I was approximately 600 yards from my moose so I marked the spot with some blue ribbon I had in my pocket and returned to the moose.
I had forgotten to bring my rope with me so it was still in the truck. I was able to use my knife belt to hold the hind leg up to the nearest small pine tree and gutted the moose. To hold the front leg up I turned the bulls neck around till his nose was pointing up and jammed his antlers into the ground, then hooked his front hoof over his nose to hold it up.
After finishing the field dressing I went back to the pickup through the bush and then set about finding the road to get closer to the moose. It took me a couple of tries to find the right road, during which time I saw a cow moose and another bull, within 200 yards of the road of course, and then finally found the spot I had marked with the ribbon. What followed was a long session of splitting the bull into quarters with an axe and dragging the quarters one at a time to the truck. I managed to get the two hind quarters and the antlers to my truck that night about an hour and a half after dark.
I slept in my truck while the snow fell most of the night. I hoped I would not be snowed in the next morning.
Next day the snow had quit, having dropped a good seven inches during the night, and I recovered the remaining front quarters and managed with some sweat and struggle to get my 2wd pickup out to the main logging road and home.
After skinning the quarters and tracing the wound channels I found that the first round had gone in and out around 4inches over the heart causing a good deal of trauma to the lungs. The second shot missed the neck and the third shot had entered a couple inches behind the exit wound from the first shot and went out just behind the diaphragm on the far side. Either shot would have been fatal but moose can be tough to convince to lay down.
The rifle was my 45-70 buffalo classic and the bullet was a cast RCBS 405 (420grains) of annealed wheel weight alloy(9BHN) travelling about 1600FPS
Stomp:drinks:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/45stomp/DSCN1118.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/45stomp/DSCN1114-1.jpg

dk17hmr
11-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Awesome, gotta love those NEF rifles eh, glad ya got your moose.

I am using my Handi with a Buffalo Classic barrel for deer season here...I am cheatin a little with a 3-10x44 scope on it.

Bass Ackward
11-08-2006, 02:08 AM
I will say Congratulations and then go lay down. I am sweatin and worn out just reading about all that work.

45nut
11-08-2006, 03:06 AM
awesome story,,,great meat,,cool pics. doesnt get much better. Congrats too!

6pt-sika
11-08-2006, 06:41 AM
Congrats :drinks:

Would love to get a moose sometime !!!

No_1
11-08-2006, 06:48 AM
That is a very nice Moose. I am sure I will never get a chance at something like that since I live in the deeeeep southeast. Maybe one day SWMBO will take pity on me and send me out west.....

Robert

9.3X62AL
11-08-2006, 09:58 AM
A story well-told about a job well-done.......congratulations!

Your harvest with a single-shot 45-70 and the castings reminds me of another GREAT anecdote by Ammohead. When he hears from some benighted soul that cast boolits can't bring home the backstraps, he just asks the source "Have you seen many buffalo lately?"

JDL
11-08-2006, 10:30 AM
A most excellent adventure! Congratulations on a job well done. -JDL

carpetman
11-08-2006, 12:25 PM
45Stomp---Nice pictures and story. I'll nit pick some though. I am curious as to how you can tell bull pee from cow pee? I am curious as to why you arent wearing blaze orange? I notice the binoculars you are using a neck strap. Get a set of shoulder straps and you'll love em. They hold them against your body and they dont flop as much and takes the weight off your neck--you may not think that's a big deal but if you try the shoulder straps,you'll find it was. Was someone with you? Who took the picture?

45stomp
11-08-2006, 02:20 PM
45Stomp---Nice pictures and story. I'll nit pick some though. I am curious as to how you can tell bull pee from cow pee? I am curious as to why you arent wearing blaze orange? I notice the binoculars you are using a neck strap. Get a set of shoulder straps and you'll love em. They hold them against your body and they dont flop as much and takes the weight off your neck--you may not think that's a big deal but if you try the shoulder straps,you'll find it was. Was someone with you? Who took the picture?
Carpetman,
I was alone.....I used the self timer to take my own picture.
We have no blaze orange requirements in BC for hunting.......and being a late season special draw hunt I was probably the only hunter within 40miles.
I have tried the shoulder straps and didn't like them at all......I felt like I was trussed up like a turkey. I usually carry them like that around my neck. If I need to move quickly......then I slip it under my arm so it sits below my armpit and does not swing around........works for me.
As for the pee......a male of most species makes a clean hole in the snow with his urine.......a female for obvious reasons sprays more so the pee stains in the snow are spread over a wider area.
Bass, I was so tired I was not sure I would even get the last quarter out of the bush........too stubborn to quit though.
Thanks for the replies fellas.

carpetman
11-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Stomp45---Thanks for the pee splatter explanation. Darn I knew blood splatter has a big role in forensics but had never thought about it applying to this. Really havent had that much experience in snow to give it consideration. Even if there is no law requiring the blaze orange,I believe in it. There MAY not be another hunter in 40 miles--but it only takes one. Someone made the tire tracks you saw. Glad to hear your report on the shoulder harness--you tried it and didnt like it--you are the only one I've heard state that. If I understood you correctly,you removed the quarters with the hide still on. You are stronger than me. I used a back pack and put the skinned quarters in GI laundry bags and it was all I could do--especially the rear quarters.

454PB
11-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Congratulations! Great story and great pictures.

As I was reading your struggle to gut this moose alone, it took me back to several elk I've gutted.....and was struggling to control those long legs and not cut myself. Yeah, pulling the trigger is only the start of a lot of hard work.

Nrut
11-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Great story Stomp....just checked the yellow snow I made this morning and see that you would consider me to be cow moose so I'm safe and I don't need to wear a blaze orange vest (what's that?).....If you save the "bum gut" for me I'll loan that RCBS mold again...:-D
PS....please no comment as to what else I may have been doing when I was making yellow snow....[smilie=1:

nighthunter
11-08-2006, 05:15 PM
45Stomp .... congratulations on a fine hunt. If I ever get a chance at a moose like the one you got I don't care if I have my binoculars on a rope dragging behind me. I'd even invite Carpetman to go along and be the duty photoguy. LOL.
Good shooting and I'm real glad for ya. Eh?
Nighthunter

carpetman
11-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Nighthunter---I'd be tickled to go along as the duty photoguy---but I'd be wearing orange and have my camera on a shoulder strap.

BD
11-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Good Job!, Them are good eatin'! I've ate a few. As you get older you'll find that the real challenge of moose hunting is makin' the shot that'll land'em on the tail gate of your truck.
BD

nighthunter
11-08-2006, 09:28 PM
LOL Carpetman ... at least you saw the humor in my statement. You seem like a decent enough guy. I wouldn't even care if you wore florescent orange panties.
Nighthunter

waksupi
11-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Good hunt! I am overjoyed for you, and the fact, that I didn't have to help pack it! What a job!

carpetman
11-08-2006, 10:31 PM
45 stomp---I was relieved(pun intended)to find your method of determining sex was based on splatter---not taste.
Nighthunter,no I don't wear orange panties--but I am a Texas Longhorn fan and I'd probably buy a pair if they had the Longhorn emblem on them. Along these same lines I did discover something alarming about a pair of pants I bought. You know how people put the dogs name over the door of the dog house? Well I bought some new jeans--Nautica brand. On the inside of the fly embroidered in red no less it said "loose fit".

carpetman
11-08-2006, 10:34 PM
45 Stomp---What town in Central BC are you located? For a few years we had a minor league pro hockey team here and several of the players were from BC?

ammohead
11-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Stomp,

congrats on the bull. I agree with you on the blaze orange, but you should have your hazard lights on while road hunting moose.

ammohead

Topper
11-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Great story with a two really good photos.
I really like the first on with you standing next to the moose.
Gives you a good idea of just how BIG they are;)

45stomp
11-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Great story with a two really good photos.
I really like the first on with you standing next to the moose.
Gives you a good idea of just how BIG they are;)
Or how small I am[smilie=1:
Carpetman, I am a couple hours west of Prince George BC

Beerd
11-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Stomp,
That's as good a huntin' story as I've read in a long time.
Good work.

gregg
11-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Carpetman,
I was alone.....I used the self timer to take my own picture.
We have no blaze orange requirements in BC for hunting.......and being a late season special draw hunt I was probably the only hunter within 40miles.
I have tried the shoulder straps and didn't like them at all......I felt like I was trussed up like a turkey. I usually carry them like that around my neck. If I need to move quickly......then I slip it under my arm so it sits below my armpit and does not swing around........works for me.
As for the pee......a male of most species makes a clean hole in the snow with his urine.......a female for obvious reasons sprays more so the pee stains in the snow are spread over a wider area.
Bass, I was so tired I was not sure I would even get the last quarter out of the bush........too stubborn to quit though.
Thanks for the replies fellas.

ALL very good points. Learned alot from you all. (blaze orange )
Do as the locals do. Love it thanks

VTDW
11-21-2006, 10:06 AM
45 stomp---I was relieved(pun intended)to find your method of determining sex was based on splatter---not taste.
Nighthunter,no I don't wear orange panties--but I am a Texas Longhorn fan and I'd probably buy a pair if they had the Longhorn emblem on them....

Didn't they sell those blaze orange panties when Chrissy was quarterback?:mrgreen: