PDA

View Full Version : botom pour pot

GP100man
11-07-2006, 10:51 PM
fellers my internet conection has been down ,but im back up &running
during that time my my lee pro pot got here&ive been casting away
what time i wernt in a treestand.
ill have to say ive never cast as preeety & correctly filled out boolit with no frosting in my life!!!!
im not going to throw my dipper away, but it on the inactive list for now!

BIG THANKS to all that responded to my inguire about learning curve on a bottom pour,&helping me todecide to buy a pot!!!

the temp was a little tricky at first but that didnt take long to fix.
more heat ,more lead ,more time, more primers,more powder:castmine:

and proud of it!!!

dragonrider
11-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Don't ya jus love it when plan comes together.

Hunter
11-09-2006, 12:57 AM
I have heard great things about the Lee bottom pour, My starting pot is a Lyman 10 pound top pour but I plan on upgrading very soon. Thanks for the post on the Lee I will look at it a little closer now, the price seems right.

mosin9130
11-09-2006, 08:15 AM
My Lee bottompour pot is lying somewhere unused.
It's a gift of a friend that used it very few and next no more many years ago. When he was given it to me told that the pot wasn't working.
After dismounted and cleaned the electrical contacts, the pot has worked a time again but I've left it in a corner prefering the simple pot over the gas stove because from the hole in the bottom the pot was losting all the lead, drop after drop, whilst it was melting.
Anyone has a trick to fix it?

SharpsShooter
11-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Many times a good cleaning will stop the drip. Empty the pot and remove the plunger. Use a wire wheel or evben steel wool to polish the plunger. Clean the interior of the pot paying close attention to the plunger seat. Be sure to get it clean. Some will even take mild grinding compound and lap the plunger seat to get a better fit, but I have found that a good cleaning will eliminate the slag buildup and keep it drip free.

SS

GP100man
11-09-2006, 08:21 PM
mosin

if the pot was left with very much in it ,it will drip until the top melts
because im sure most of the heat comes from the bottom,thus melting&expanding from the bottom up ,cant help but to lift the rod off the seat & drip a little.

mosin9130
11-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Ok, friends.
Thank you.
I realize that two errors have been done with my pot: it hasn't been cleaned and has been left full of lead the last time.
So, I have only to empty it (drop after drop) and clean it.

VTDW
11-10-2006, 08:22 AM
And it is easy to clean...thank God!! I found a drill bit that just fits the orfice and use vice-grips to gently turn it until things smooth out. Ditto on cleaning the plunger where it seats into the spout/orfice as lead is hard to see on it but it sure does stick sometimes.

Dave

GP100man
11-10-2006, 08:18 PM
vtdw

sounds like its time to break out the mold!!!!

VTDW
11-11-2006, 08:33 AM
:mrgreen: :drinks:

robertbank
11-18-2006, 12:28 AM
After cleaning the pot thoroughly I took some very fine wire and tied the stopper to the lever that raises and lowers the stopper. Got it good and tight. Part of the problem I found with the Production Pot is the stopper has a tendency to clock as you cast causing the pot to leak more than it normally does. By wiring the pot I have it down to a very slow intermitant drip which is about as good as it gets.

Take Care

Bob