PDA

View Full Version : My free source has dried up

Jailer
01-27-2011, 06:55 PM
So much for my free wheel weights. Stopped at my local place tonight tha had been supplying me with free wheel weights and they are charging now. Paid $.32/lb for a bucket full.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted. :sad:

bbs70
01-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Free is always good but at that price I'd grab them, fast.

RobS
01-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Price isn't bad, but free ninety free is just a tad better price. :)

home in oz
01-27-2011, 11:17 PM
I go for free....

Jailer
01-28-2011, 12:25 AM
I'll definitely keep buying from them. They've given me plenty so why not.

Stopped at another one of my regular places but he didn't have many. But, he did give me the number for the manager at another shop about an hour away that has a bunch. Said he has a 55 gal drum full of them. We'll see how that turns out tomorrow.

357maximum
01-28-2011, 01:23 AM
Jailer

You are lucky....alot of places will not even sell them anymore. I have a couple of places that treat me well but none of them are free any longer. I live over by Middleton and I collected most of mine years ago luckily for me.:bigsmyl2: We are real fortunate living where we do as the bigger cities are a royal pain trying to collect ww. I have wandered far and wide but most always struck gold close to home. I wish you luck in your stashing adventures. I have a pretty good stash so you won't get much competition from me. I shoot mostly 50/50 ww/pure and that is where my efforts are now for the most part. I need pure lead to go with my ww and I no longer work where I could get that for free in the form of lead waterlines hanging off from backhoe teeth. :evil: I do get the occassional monster semi wheelweight working where I do now however.

I was just up to the Ithaca jail the other day. I had to turn in the paperwork for a pistol I traded off from a buddy.

Jailer
01-28-2011, 01:33 AM
357maximum, you are just stone throw away from me, I'm on Washington Rd just east of the pits a mile. Was at the Middleton diner just a couple days ago for dinner. Fried chicken, mashed taters and home made bread. Yum!

Hopefully I can keep scoring on my source for range scrap. It takes a lot more time effort and propane to get the lead, but the price is right. Plus I finally got around to taking in the copper jackets that were left over from smelting. Figured I'd be happy walking out with enough cash to cover my propane costs and ended up leaving with $305.20 :holysheep

357maximum
01-28-2011, 01:53 AM
Aahh yes.....that diner has fed me plenty of times. I like friday nights for the fried perch myself. I can almost see the diner from my house..........almost.

Your range scrap sounds just about perfect from your description of it. Get all you can get while you can get it. I find that leaving about 3 inches in the bottom of my big smelter sure speeds up the melt time for the next batch. My range scrap all comes from a private range so I do not get tons of it but it just about breaks me 1/2 of even though. I do not get many jackets in my range scrap though. :)

I have access to escavating equipment....how big is that range pile. :lol:

Michael

Jailer
01-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Well made the trip today and it wasn't quite as he described it but I still came home with around 400 lbs of wheel weights for $50. He told me to give him a couple months and he'd stash them all away for me and hold them. :) He said that they have a regular re cycler that comes in that they are suppose to sell them to but he said the guy is a real jerk and constantly tries to talk him down on price. So looks like a I found me another good source. :D

On a side note, I got pulled over for the first time in 16 years today, passing through your town 357maximum for doing 40 in a 25 (wasn't paying attention...oops). Didn't even have time to tell him I had a CPL and I was carrying since the converstaion only lasted about 10 seconds. I grew up across the street from him. 8-)

Man I love living and growing up in a small town.

357maximum
01-28-2011, 08:04 PM
I grew up in Pompeii...... does not get much smaller than that. :lol: