PDA

View Full Version : LLA and Hollow points?

GMT210
01-27-2011, 06:40 PM
The title says is all, does anyone use LLA with pistol or revolver hollow points? I was wondering how much the hollow point would fill up and if it would change the expansion properties. I am mostly talking about Miha's 9mm-125, 357-158 and 45ACP-200 with penta pins or round.

Thanks

Mark

Recluse
01-27-2011, 07:53 PM
The title says is all, does anyone use LLA with pistol or revolver hollow points? I was wondering how much the hollow point would fill up and if it would change the expansion properties. I am mostly talking about Miha's 9mm-125, 357-158 and 45ACP-200 with penta pins or round.

Thanks

Mark

Applied properly and correctly, there is zero reason why ANY tumble-lube should fill up a hollow point. Ever. If it does, you're definitely using too much and your technique leaves a lot to be desired. :grin:

:coffee:

noylj
01-27-2011, 09:56 PM
I tumble lube 500 bullets at a time with LLA using a large casserole dish. First, get the bullets on their side. Next, squirt a little Alox into the dish and on the bullets and then shuffle the bullets around like they were dominoes for 30-60 seconds.
Inspect the bullets--are they all shiny and wet looking? Good, you are done. If not, squirt in a little more LLA and shuffle the bullets around.
Pour bullets out onto wax paper, aluminum foil, screening, or other surface that is clean and won't absorb the LLA.
If your bullets are a nice golden brown, you used too much.
This works for bullets you've cast, for cast bullets you have bought that lead, and plated and jacketed bullets.
Works great for the Hornady swaged 148gn L-HBWCs for .38 Special.
For plated and jacketed bullets, any wax emulsion will be good--say Rooster Jacket.

Moonie
01-31-2011, 03:02 PM
I've used straight LLA and more recently the Recluse 45/45/10. I've never had this problem with my Mihec 45 HP's even though I'm not real careful how I put them in the container before I squirt the goo in. Honestly never seen one full of lube, have seen a few that appeared to have a little in them, but not enough to pool even, just looks like the rest of the boolit, can barely tell there is anything on them.

Freightman
01-31-2011, 06:42 PM
It will just infect the bad guy. Ha Ha

GMT210
02-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Thanks Guys,

I have not tried it yet, have several molds on their way, was just wondering.

Mark

Rangefinder
02-03-2011, 02:30 AM

YES LLA works fine on HP bullets---the reason it doesn't matter is that if you're using it correctly, there won't be enough getting into the HP cavity to cause any trouble. Tumble lube is meant to go on extremely light---end of story. If it looks like you have any accumulation or "tar" coating on a tumbled boolit, you're using WAAAY too much.