PDA

View Full Version : coyote/wolf 12ga loads

camerl2009
01-26-2011, 10:56 PM
ok so what do you guys think

how much shot should i go with i cannt go bigger then #2 lead shot for small game and with no gun deer season in my zone(ie the only time i can carry buckshot for anything)

i can go as big as bbb steel but i dont have steel load for the shells i have

i can go 1 1/4oz of shot

its time i start thining them out and the shotguns have not got out for a bit
:popcorn:

45-70.gov
01-26-2011, 11:18 PM
cut shells.....like a 12ga...frangible, safety slug

camerl2009
01-27-2011, 12:10 AM
cut shells.....like a 12ga...frangible, safety slug

*** i cant use slugs only shot

flounderman
01-27-2011, 07:37 AM
the lead 2s will amaze you how far away they will kill something if you drive them fast enough. they are heavy enough they don't disperse like fine shot or steel. you also need the correct choke. pattern test your load and gun. all shotguns are not the same.

songdog53
01-27-2011, 09:23 AM
The 2 will do good if calling coyotes close or in woods..they will roll them very nicely. Don't have any wolves in my area but have thinned lot of songdogs with 2 and BB shot. But then i call them in close as i can with decoy.

camerl2009
01-27-2011, 12:13 PM
i'll set up the Quiver Critter at 20 yrds and a mod choke in the wingmaster

southpaw
01-27-2011, 12:17 PM
*** i cant use slugs only shot

I think that he means to cut the hull in the middle of the wad. I have never tried this but the father in law tells me it works. He says that when it hits it explodes.

That is kinda odd that they won't let you use bigger shot for coyote/wolfs when deer season is closed.

If 1 1/4 oz is the most you can load then that is what I would load. If it was me I would load the heaviest load that patterns well.

Jerry Jr.

10 ga
01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd get the biggest Heavishot or equal legal. Or whatever is equal that you can get. BBB is good on bigger critters and only a bit smaller than the T and F size shot. Don't have any wolf here but I have put down a whole bunch of large feral dogs. Anything from B shot and larger should do the job at reasonable ranges if you use the "heavier than lead" type non toxic stuff. It cost from $2.50 per shell ($25 to $35 USD per 10) and up here but is well worth the cost for this application. Of course my favorite is the Browning #10 auto stuffed with #4 buckshot. That's 55 pellets in our handloads. You have to hold on tight when you cut those big loads loose but somethin gonna die! Keep us updated with the results. 10

camerl2009
01-27-2011, 01:02 PM
I think that he means to cut the hull in the middle of the wad. I have never tried this but the father in law tells me it works. He says that when it hits it explodes.

That is kinda odd that they won't let you use bigger shot for coyote/wolfs when deer season is closed.

If 1 1/4 oz is the most you can load then that is what I would load. If it was me I would load the heaviest load that patterns well.

Jerry Jr.

thats w waste of hulls :sad:

camerl2009
01-27-2011, 01:11 PM
I'd get the biggest Heavishot or equal legal. Or whatever is equal that you can get. BBB is good on bigger critters and only a bit smaller than the T and F size shot. Don't have any wolf here but I have put down a whole bunch of large feral dogs. Anything from B shot and larger should do the job at reasonable ranges if you use the "heavier than lead" type non toxic stuff. It cost from $2.50 per shell ($25 to $35 USD per 10) and up here but is well worth the cost for this application. Of course my favorite is the Browning #10 auto stuffed with #4 buckshot. That's 55 pellets in our handloads. You have to hold on tight when you cut those big loads loose but somethin gonna die! Keep us updated with the results. 10

i can only do bbb in steel shot and only other non toxic stuff i can use in bismuth and i can only go as big as bb

and for the shells i have i can only load lead im going to go with #2
maybe plated

man i wish federal sold there lead flight stopper lead shot and made it in #2 :p

10 ga
01-29-2011, 03:26 PM
If theyre close enough the lead #2 shot will be OK. Try to get plated shot, copper or nickel plated. And try to shoot as high velocity as you can stand, The velocity will keep them penetrating at longer range. It won't be no magic bullet but it'll help. I expect the #2s will be much better for coyotes but I don't know about wolfs. I'm a trapper so I'm thinkin MB 750s and AC cable snares would be much better for the wolfs than a shotgun. 10

camerl2009
01-29-2011, 04:19 PM
If theyre close enough the lead #2 shot will be OK. Try to get plated shot, copper or nickel plated. And try to shoot as high velocity as you can stand, The velocity will keep them penetrating at longer range. It won't be no magic bullet but it'll help. I expect the #2s will be much better for coyotes but I don't know about wolfs. I'm a trapper so I'm thinkin MB 750s and AC cable snares would be much better for the wolfs than a shotgun. 10

i cant trap them unless i have my trapping license and i can only trap on the
land thay give me

so hunting is the only way to thin them out

lol i normally use my .22lr for wolf/coyote the skin dont get damaged

camerl2009
01-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Jerry Jr.

my zone i can only hunt deer with a bow there is no open gun season
so i can only use ammo for small game no shot bigger then #2 lead shot

in a zone where i can use a gun for deer and the season is open i can only carry ammo that can be used on deer #1 buck to slugs thats why i say i cant use it when the season is closed and thats only in a gun zone and you have to have a tag to hunt deer,black bear or moose

45-70.gov
02-15-2011, 10:35 PM
maybe this will describe a cut shell better
it might not work for you
but then it might just be what your needing

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,178695.msg1098857409.html#msg1098857409

camerl2009
02-15-2011, 11:18 PM
maybe this will describe a cut shell better
it might not work for you
but then it might just be what your needing

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,178695.msg1098857409.html#msg1098857409

its a waste and not legal

and as for why i cant carry buckshot in a non gun deer/closed season
lets put it this way i cant carry birdshot in a deer season if i have a deer tag on me