PDA

View Full Version : Pics of milled bases

gjemba
01-26-2011, 10:02 PM
OK here is a pic of the .40 cases with the rims milled off. They are not trimmed to length as I am waiting on some slitter blades. I think the milling cutters may damage the cases if I tried to use an end mill to trim the mouth end of the case.

Daywalker
01-27-2011, 01:24 PM
I really love the looks of those much better than i do the looks with the extractor grooves and stuff in place.

JSnover
01-27-2011, 01:33 PM
I posted a thought this morning on another thread about using a lathe with a collet chuck for facing off small lots. With a good end mill and a collet block I'd expect decent results.

DeanWinchester
01-27-2011, 03:35 PM
With a good sharp endmill and a collet set in a lathe, like a Hardinge or something, you could knock them buggers out pretty fast.

Red River Rick
01-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Some more info:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=45365&highlight=swaging

RRR

gjemba
01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Guys,

Refer back to my post on 'Gang Case Trimmer' a couple of posts below this to see the setup I made for trimming 28 cases at a time. It is a simple clamping device, if drilled accurately, and saves a bunch of time once it is made.

Red River Rick
01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
I did!

Looks like your cases are not consistant, from looking at the base. Some have a bit of chamfer left and some don't have any.

If your using mixed brands of brass, and some cases have stretched from use, your end result will not be very consistant (cases having varied weight).

Using your method will work, only problem is, using the case mounth as a gauge line isn't the best way to do what your attempting to do. Having a internal stop, that bottoms out INSIDE the case would provide better results.

A bit of advice, try using a fly cutter.................

RRR

gjemba
01-27-2011, 06:40 PM
RRR,

I just made this clamp last week am still fine-tuning it. Thanks for your advice though. I just got some slittiing saw blades to try to use them. Also, I may have taken a picture with 2 batches of cases. Meaning I cut these on 2 different evenings and did not take the time to reset it to the exact height. I have just started playing with this setup so I am experimenting yet.

If I understand correctly, I need a rod in each socket that provides a positive stop for the bullet. The case will rest on that rod and then clamp in the socket ensuring they will all be cut to the exact same length if they are all the same brand. Is this essentially what you mean.

All advice is appreciated.

jixxerbill
01-27-2011, 07:26 PM
if u cut to length first then flip them over and put them back in the clamp u made they will all be at the same height in the clamp !!! so u can cut the back rim off. no need for a rod or anything (thats assuming u will cut at least a little off ALL of them in the first step)....bill