PDA

View Full Version : Unstick Lee Sprueplate Screw Method:

onondaga
01-26-2011, 07:13 PM
They get stuck pretty bad sometimes and I like to disassemble, clean and lubricate the sprueplate pivot screw once and a while:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/UnstickJig.jpg

This simple jig arrangement works for me, When I can't turn the screw out or am worried about forcing it and ruining the Phillips slots in the screw with a slip-up, I hold things together with a large "C" clamp. I use a small ratchet, a Phillips bit and a Hex to 1/4 inch drive adapter so the ratchet can turn the screw.

Put the mold block and ratchet in the "C" clamp on a table and snug up the clamp. Don't muscle this. Get good alignment so nothing will tip when you turn the ratchet. About 1/8 turn will do it, but if you need more to be able to unscrew the screw, then loosen the "C" clamp a tad and take another 1/8 turn as you go. Don't keep unscrewing without backing off the "C" clamp or you could strip the threads in the aluminum mold block.

Others members here have posted about this subject and I've seen drilling out and re-tapping mentioned to fix a stuck sprueplate pivot screw. That will certainly work. Some casters may not have those tools for tapping or would like to try a more conservative method that might just do the trick on the spot when the stuck screw dilemma hits. .

I figured this method out as a young boy and suddenly it came back to my memory with a stuck screw keeping me from disassembling a mold easily for maintenance..

I hope this helps someone here and hope that this post hits the sticky list to be saved for others with the problem.

Gary

nascarkent
01-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Now that will get it!!!!!!!Very good idea.:p

geargnasher
01-26-2011, 09:04 PM
NICE Gary, thanks for sharing.

I use a Ryobi cordless impact driver and a DeWalt #2 phillips bit to hammer the screws out, and I use a drill vise to hold the mould blocks. I put the vise with the mould clamped in it on the floor and kneel over it to put my body weight on top of the impact gun while bumping the trigger in short bursts until the screw breaks loose. When I get it out, I clean the threads with a tap and Bullplate, and drill a setbolt hole and tap that while I'm at it because the screws always seem to get loose again after removal.

Gear

markinalpine
01-26-2011, 09:06 PM

Mark :coffeecom

Recluse
01-26-2011, 10:33 PM
OK, that is SLICK.

Thanks for the tip! This one goes in my bag of tricks.

:coffee:

leadman
01-26-2011, 10:44 PM
I just use a little precision oiler with Bullplate in it so I don't have to take the screw out.

Walter Laich
01-27-2011, 12:32 AM
simple and elegant

W

wallenba
01-27-2011, 12:46 AM
Once you get them out, notice how the self tapper has upset the aluminum around the hole. Dress that down and the edges of the sprue plate, and it will fit better on the block.

01-27-2011, 12:48 AM
That'll surely work.

A padded vise and a #2 Phillips screwdriver works for me.

twotoescharlie
01-27-2011, 07:05 PM
use a little valve grinding compound on the screwdriver bit and it will get a better bite.

TTC